PDA

View Full Version : Parking in the drive at home

kyfireman2004
05-19-2008, 08:39 PM
How many of you guys park your equipment in the driveway at home?
I do if it gets late or I just get lazy after a hard days work.
But I do lock up the echo stuff on the open tralier........I guess I should bring them into the garage and maybe put a good lock on the trailer gate.
Any input?
Lou

Edwardsville,IL.PLS
05-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I do the same thing at times , never had anything stolen but have noticed flat tires sometimes. I think some of the neighborhood kids have nothing better to do . Can't ever catch em though. If I had the money I'd invest in an enclosed trailor. Good luck.

nosparkplugs
05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I park my truck in our drive, have left all kinds of equipment in the bed over the years; however this night I had only left two Blitz 5 gallon gas cans & a nylon bag of tools.
The next moring the gas cans were stolen, and my bag of tools was emptied out, WTF in the 8 years of living in this "upper middle" class HOA I am now having equipment stolen,IMO it' the economy that's driving more folks to desperate times & need cash.

Jason Pallas
05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
You're lucky - I'd be locking that stuff up tight. The times they are a changin' my friend. Good Luck. I hope that's all you ever loose.

HandyHomeMedic
05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I work two f/t paramedic jobs at night and run my business during the day. I'm often running way late running from one to the next. I live in a town house where I am not allowed to park the trailers near the residences. Across the road where our pool / clubhouse etc.. are is where they allow us to park. Often, I have to dump the trailer with all the tools on board. I run a 20 ft. chain through all the mowers, blowers and mechanized stuff. The trimmers are locked in their racks. The tool boxes, tool bags and some other miscellaneous stuff sits loose. Recently, I lost a tool box full of box wrenches, wratchet sets, screw drivers etc...

I'm so pissed off at myself for not securing everything but sometimes the pace we keep dictates the level of caution we use. I wish I could find a barn or large garage I could use in exchange for law service / plowing.

k911lowe
05-25-2008, 03:58 PM
never had equipment stolen at home except by friends,now ex.i have 5 dogs that prevent others from doing this.god bless canines.

BrandonV
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I park my truck in our drive, have left all kinds of equipment in the bed over the years; however this night I had only left two Blitz 5 gallon gas cans & a nylon bag of tools.
The next moring the gas cans were stolen, and my bag of tools was emptied out, WTF in the 8 years of living in this "upper middle" class HOA I am now having equipment stolen,IMO it' the economy that's driving more folks to desperate times & need cash.

i'd guess drugs over the economy

M&SLawnCare
05-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Park another car close behind your trailer. That will prevent anyone from dropping the gate, making it impossible to steel anything they can't physically lift.

Snyderserv5060
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I park the truck and trailer in the driveway...I used to me more lax about leaving stuff in the truck until about 2 years ago the neighbors company took one of my echo trimmers and a few misc tools. At the end of the day all the equipment goes in the shed or garage and locked. The mowers stay on the trailer when they are going to be used the next day but the way my parking situation is on the driveway I know when people are coming or going. When I have to leave the mowers for any extended time I lock them up or I back the trailer gate up to a tree or another car so its blocked in. Its annoying especially considering at one point I wouldnt think twice about it in my neighborhood and now I have to.

I actually think I am going to run a few cameras on specific locations at my house and run it through a spare computer...between that and the dogs I hope to knows whats going on.

Good luck

Precision Lawns
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Park it next to a nicer rig!:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

PerfectEarth
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Theft is a BIG problem on my street (and it's a nice street!) - there's some punk kids around who are heavily into drugs..... iPods, tools, lot's of car break-ins. I've had a BR600 and a pair of HS 81T Stihl trimmers swiped. If I have stuff on me, it's brought into the garage or locked with one of those cable/combination locks. Lock boxes on the dump truck are always getting double checked- lots of tools in there. I could care less about handtools... if the want a rake or a shovel, Ok.

Grass Happens
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I live in an apt complex, and due to my old caprice taking up my garage (waiting for my "friend" to fill out the lost title ppr work s I can get plates for it) I have to park in an empty and faraway part of the lot. Its also college living, so everything but the trailer gets put into the garage, but I have to leave it outside. Luckily I haven't lost anything yet, knock on wood.

KGR landscapeing
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
i was going to walmart this morning and i drive past one guys house. Hes an owner operater. has a 25ft enclosed and a 350 2 tires on the 350 were slashd. my jaw just dropped. it hurt to see it hes one of the few that waves. i felt so bad. 2 new E rated tires gonna set you back at least 500 bucks this world sucks

lifetree
05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
You're lucky - I'd be locking that stuff up tight. The times they are a changin' my friend. Good Luck. I hope that's all you ever loose.

That's right ... after being hit twice I lock everything up at night !! Anyone that doesn't is asking for their equipment to be stolen.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I consider myself to be extremely fortunate. I have two acres that I live on with a shop and shed behind my house. I can pull in in the evenings and back my trailer fully loaded into my shed. Neighbor, whom I mow for lets me drive across my lot and use his driveway to get out. I let him run his horses on my back lot.

AndyTblc
05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I consider myself to be extremely fortunate. I have two acres that I live on with a shop and shed behind my house. I can pull in in the evenings and back my trailer fully loaded into my shed. Neighbor, whom I mow for lets me drive across my lot and use his driveway to get out. I let him run his horses on my back lot.

What would be awesome would be able to drive in, and turn around in the shop and drive right out, but that'd have to be one big shop. I always unload my stuff and put it in the shed and the mower either outside or if is going to rain, the put it in the garage. I've never had anything stolen, then I take the trailer to either my uncles or my grandmas. I don't have any room in my yard for a trailer, and a camper.

corey4671
05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
What would be awesome would be able to drive in, and turn around in the shop and drive right out, but that'd have to be one big shop. I always unload my stuff and put it in the shed and the mower either outside or if is going to rain, the put it in the garage. I've never had anything stolen, then I take the trailer to either my uncles or my grandmas. I don't have any room in my yard for a trailer, and a camper.

well actually we are planning to build a new house in a few years and one thing I WILL have is a shop that I can pull through that will be long enough to park the truck and trailer in AND be able to drop the gate and unload everything off the trailer in the shop. the setup I have now I pull in to the left, back the trailer in and then I can go straight out and down the neighbors driveway. If I want to unload the mowers, I have to pull the trailer out of the shed.

caterpillarcat
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
i do all the time but luckily i live in a country neighborhood where the neighbors dont care and so far at least there hasnt been any robberies. in town i know some crazy neighbors will complain about it which in my opinion shouldn't matter because its your house

TPendagast
06-12-2008, 01:21 AM
when i was in commercial mowing, I lived on a farm.

One morning one of my formen showed up early deciding to load up equipment before i came out for the day.

I walked out there in my jammies with my kimber .45. (b.c i heard the mowers and didnt know what was going on.

This guy lived in the city, he nearly soiled his shorts, not to mention he told everyone about what happened for a year straight.

I never locked anything up and never had a problem.

I had a 45 cal insurance policy.

McGaw
06-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Camera's. We also have those hose like things they sometimes use at the gas stations to let you know when there are cars. Run it right in front of the garage that way you have to step on it or drive over it. We also have an alarm system, lots of motion lights, and dogs. Just wish we could have guns. One of the few down falls with Canada...

-Adam:canadaflag:

McGaw
06-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Are we aloud to use hunting rifles to shoot intruders in Canada? Or even remove our rifles from the vault? If we are, then I better move the vault into the house.

HandyHomeMedic
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Better yet! Do like my firehouse where you can enter the bay from the rear & pull in so that you're facing out the front! Now that would be a setup.