PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Tommy, The Lighting Geek - Mag. Article!

JimLewis
05-20-2008, 02:42 AM
I didn't see it mentioned in any other threads here. But there is an excellent cover photo and article in the May / June issue of "Professional Landscape Design" magazine (an off-shoot of Lawn & Landscape) featuring Tommy Herren - The Lighting Geek.

Awesome article. Got some good tips and loved the story.

Bet you'll be ordering a few extra copies to hand out, huh?

The Lighting Geek
05-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Thanks! I had fun shooting the cover shot. I will try to post it for everyone to see.

Chris J
05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Tommy, is there a website that I can read the article online? If not, do you know how I can get a copy of the mag?

Lite4
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I gotta see this. Congrats Tommy.

JoeyD
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Right on Tommy. Watched an episode of Yard Crashers yesterday. Kind of a cool show and concept. Cant wait to see you on it doing some good lighting. This last episode had them put in a few lights and the note in the corner of the screen said TIP: When you need more light go to higher wattage lamps, you do not need to add more lights. I knew they must have filmed this before the Geek!!

Keep up the great work!

The Lighting Geek
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope this works:)

The Lighting Geek
05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Here is part 2

msouthard
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
I saw this article too...it is a very good article. It will be a great addition to your marketing arsenal.

Mike Southard
Kichler

Bill S
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM
The pre Lighting Geek stage sounds very familiar. I commend you for having the courage to follow your passion. I only hope I can do like-wise.

Lite4
05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I turned in my truck and keys today to the landscape company I have been working for for 3 years now. I am now officially 100% lighting. I hope my story turns out like yours there Tommy.

JoeyD
05-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I dont doubt for 5 seconds that it wouldnt Tim! Go get em buddy!!!

I can see it now...Tim The Lighting Nerd dominates the competiton in Idaho!!

NightScenes
05-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Way to go Tommy!! I love to see it when one of us ends up in glossy print!! I'll talk to you this evening. Be sure to send a copy in to "In The News" www.inthenewsonline.com to have it mounted for a display. It will look great at a home show and in your office.

TXNSLighting
05-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Very very inspiring Tommy. I really hope i can accomplish what you have. I cant wait for the day i go 100% lighting.

Eden Lights
05-21-2008, 01:04 AM
The article is great, but the numbers are even more impressive and something to shoot for. Owner plus two guys that just came on board in Jan, 900K, thats about 65-70 fixtures a week with a $250-$275 fixture average based on 52 weeks per year, no vacations, no holiday weeks, and no bad weather. With those numbers do you sleep? Farm out Invoicing, Payroll, or Anything? Oh and I forgot about maintenance, man we need to talk!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-21-2008, 01:13 AM
I turned in my truck and keys today to the landscape company I have been working for for 3 years now. I am now officially 100% lighting. I hope my story turns out like yours there Tommy.

Way to go Tim! :clapping:

From what I have seen you will do just fine...

Congratulations on the beginning of the rest of your life. I bet after a year or so you will never be able to work for anyone else again. :laugh:

The Lighting Geek
05-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Tim, I have no doubts about it! Now the fun begins and you actually get paid for it:) Trust me when I say, you will look back and wonder why you didn't do it sooner! LOL :blob2:

Lite4
05-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks Guys, My mood has definitely been much improved today. You all have been a great inspiration for me. Someday soon I am sure I will share in the same success you are all enjoying.

Mark B
05-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Tim you will really enjoy being on your own. It is really great. Just keep Tommy as your mentor, and you will do fine. It is hard to stayed focused, atleast for me. To much freedom. But congrats to both of you.

The Lighting Geek
05-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Ya know, I thought that what I went through and my style of humor mixed in would be hopefully interesting and obviously so did the magazine. But it is humbling to get the emails and phone calls from across the country from guys, just like us but not in this forum, wanting to do more lighting, grow their business, and learn this craft we all love. Here is a sample of what I have been getting all week. I left out personal info, but it is a good example:

'My name is XXXXXXX and I just read your article in Professional Landscape Design. Quite interesting, last June I also had enough of my employees so I fired them also and sold off most of my maintenance contracts. I have always enjoyed lighting as far back as stage lighting for schools and community theater. Then last year I discovered outdoor lighting. My problem is I can't convince my clients that they need or want lighting. In our area we have what seems to be a fare amount of installations by, in my opinion, are average installers. How do I become the top dog? You really have encouraged me to continue to push forward. Just thought you would like to know.'

I have always desired to make a difference, but this was unexpected. Thanks guys, the responses have inspired me more than you will ever know.

klkanders
05-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Congrats Tommy! Very Inspiring!

Tim, Good luck to you! I agree that with your passion you will do great things!

Keith

jnewton
05-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Not to be too corny about it, Tommy, but you are living the American Dream. Not too many people in the world get to make a living doing what they love. The beauty of it is that we live in a place where people can succeed if they are willing to work hard, take a few chances and become great at what they do. Nice job, Lighting Geek!

syzer
05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Congrats, where do I sub to that mag?

The Lighting Geek
05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Congrats, where do I sub to that mag?

Contact Lawn and Landscape Magazine, it is a new one by them.

syzer
05-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Contact Lawn and Landscape Magazine, it is a new one by them.

Is there a spot on their page to sub?