PDA

View Full Version : Question about Chevy 1 ton!

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 05:16 PM
I have a friend that has a 1974 Chevy 1 ton with the hydraulic dump bed. The motor is trashed, as well as the cab looks like crap, but the dump bed works fine. He is asking $450. Is it possible to take off the dump bed and hydraulics and fit all that onto a newer Chevy 1 ton, say an early 90's.

Wet behind the ears
MATT

CT18fireman
12-19-2001, 05:19 PM
Anything can be done. Chevy guys may know more. I would suggest measuring the frame rails and see if it lines up. You may need to modify the sub frame.

Go to www.plowsite.com and post this in the Chevy truck section. Or look for 75 on either site. He know alot about Chevy's and works as a welder and fabricator.

12-19-2001, 06:25 PM
CT18 is right - measure the frames on both trucks and see how similar they are, both in width across the frame rails and in contour where they "hump" up over the rear axle.

IMO, if the dump box/hoist is in good shape it may we worth swapping it onto the newer truck - I'm certain you will be into some metal fab work (the subframe and mounts) but without seeing the trucks in question, I can't say how much or how involved.

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I suppose the other option would be to buy a new engine and fix up the cab. The situation I am in is that the guys wants to get rid of this truck quickly. I won't be able to purchase as newer truck until spring, that is why I have nothing to compare the dump frame to. Thanks again for the help.

MATT

12-19-2001, 07:51 PM
Any way you can get some measurements off one of the newer trucks? Just to get an idea of how much work is involved.

Much as I like my older trucks, and enjoy wrenching on them, from the sound of it that '74 is probably better as a parts truck than one to fix up.

Again, how good is the condition of the dump box/hoist? If they're decent, may be worth it to grab the truck now to get the dump box, then do the modifcation work as required when you've got your new wheels.

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 08:07 PM

I am not sure what shape the dump hoist is in. I had told my buddy that called that I was going to pass, but gave him the name of a guy that would be interested and that guy bought the truck. I just found out. When he called orginally, I didnt have the idea of buying the truck just for the dump bed. My buddy that did just buy the truck said that he might part with it. If the engine does not run, I am not sure how to get the dump bed up. I guess you snooze you lose. Do you have to have the dump hoist in the up position to check it out fully? It's too late now, but I will get a better look at it tomorrow and find out what my friend has planned with the truck. If he is dead set on keeping the truck, I guess this discussion and my worries are over. I will know more later and let ya know. Thanks again for the advice.
MATT

12-19-2001, 08:55 PM
Regarding the dump box - it would be good to have it raised when checking it out, plus that way you at least know it works! Just remember that before you get anywhere under it, block the box in the up position so there is no way it can come down on you. (It can and has happened, the result is usually fatal)

Depending on how the box is powered, the engine may (PTO driving hydraulic pump) or may not (electric/hydraulic power pack) have to be running to raise the box.

As far as the "snooze you lose" factor, I wouldn't worry about it - there's always other deals out there!