PDA

View Full Version : ground ivy + peonies, tomatoes, etc

americanlawn
05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
We received 2 new sign-ups today, and both have "sensitive plants" planted in the lawn! No borders, no mulch......planted right in turfgrass. Both are loaded with creeping Charlie. What the f___???:confused:

One customer asked to be a call-ahead so she can 'cover' her plants. The other said nothing. I don't know about you, but how smart is it to plant sensitive junk right in the creeping Charlie?:hammerhead:

Have you run into this??? How do you handle this, cuz it's gunna take some heavy duty herbicide to wipe out the CC. And I don't want a bunch of service calls or have to buy free replacement plants.

rscvp, thanks :waving:

RigglePLC
05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Good start--cover the plants with a bag. Right about now is a very sensitive stage of growth. Use hand sprayer for a 6 foot circle around the peonies. Explain the problem to homeowner. For the zone near the sensitive plants--maybe you can treat the creeping charlie in the fall, after frost. And insist on treating it next year--before the sensitive plants come up--hand sprayer about April 10th.
You will think of something. Be sure to charge extra for your time--and the gas.

Grandview
05-21-2008, 06:31 AM
My philosophy this time of year is stay away from flowers and gardens. I would rather get a call about missed weeds than hit flowers. In the fall I get close to all the edges. I also tell customers creeping charlie can take two to three applications, even though Surge will take it out in one. That way you impress the customers.

americanlawn
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Good advice. I don't know how many times we've told people with ground ivy this:

Once the plants have run their course for the year, mow & bag what you can, then we can come back on a warm sunny day in late October/November and spray the creeping Charlie.

Problem is -- hardly anybody remembers to do this or call us when they have this done. And so the problem continues.