PDA

View Full Version : Virus!!! Attn. Members and Admin.

SnoJob67
12-19-2001, 05:41 PM
Lynn Gorrell has inadvertantly sent me a virus today. Do not open attachments or email from him since these viruses mail themselves to the people listed in his address book! If you have corresponded with him in the past, it could (and likely has been) emailed to you.

I don't believe Lynn had anything to do with this other than someone sent him a virus and his computer must be infected. He has always conducted himself as a gentleman, in my experience.

I thought someone else would have mentioned it, but maybe I am the first to discover it, or other members computers have problems due to the virus and they cannot get online.

Chuck, if you find this appropriate, please go ahead and post this thread in the announcements!

plymouthvaliant73
12-19-2001, 06:06 PM
To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact named !0000 with no email address in the details.

If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an
error message saying: "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 07:48 PM
Good advice! I just did this last week.
MATT

Administrator
12-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Ill stick it up here for a few days....

Make sure you have updated virus software and update your virus definitions daily. Keep an eye on sites like norton.com.. signup for their alert emails, etc.

Also, setup your virus software to scan your emails.

I catch atleast 3 or 4 virus's daily.

Chuck

LeoS818
12-19-2001, 10:02 PM
Another way to see if you have the virus is to put your own e-mail adress in your own adress book.

Runner
12-20-2001, 04:08 AM
Also, it is IMPERATIVE that this !0000 is the FIRST or at the TOP of your address book, so that it hits THIS address first. Does Lynn know about this yet? Has someone sent their phone number to him so that he may call? Also, Plymouth, it's a wonderful thing that you discovered this. What do you have, Norton, or McAfee? And whatever it is, you must have it fully updated, right?

plymouthvaliant73
12-20-2001, 09:41 AM
I just don't accept attachments. I use spamcop.net for my email address which includes an option to remove attachments before the email is forwarded to a hotmail account (which includes McAfee if I ever did need to receive an attachment). Spamcop will also mangle html which can be malicious. In addition to, of course, filtering out spam. Unfortunately their rates are going up later next year, from $12 to $36 per account per year.

Atlantic Lawn
12-21-2001, 09:02 AM
Wow Chuck that is incredible. Are they all from attachments? We use Norton and we keep a bum email ad at the top of the list, seems to work for us.

Administrator
12-23-2001, 01:33 PM
Yep, mostly all attachments.

I prolly receive more email in one day than most people do in a year.

Chuck

leeslawncare
12-23-2001, 10:13 PM
How about useing A!oooo as a address ? wouldn't that get it at the top of the book?

BigJim
12-24-2001, 12:30 PM
00000 Great Idea,I sent copy of post to the adresses I ocassionally get viruses from,hopefully they'll follow it and keep their viruses at home.Such a simple idea.:)

Mowman
12-25-2001, 09:03 AM
I also got this virus. I got mail from Lynn. I knew that I'd not sent him anything. And at that time my Norton Anti Virus KICKED in and told me to DELETE this mail. So I did. No problem as far as I can tell.

Mowman

gorrell
12-25-2001, 10:29 AM
Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone by this virus which I had nothing to do with except it picked me instead of someone else. I don't open attachments from anyone I don't know, so I haven't a clue how it adopted me, but I think McAfee found it and killed it. Sorry..............Lynn

beck
12-26-2001, 10:30 AM
what can be done if you have received the virus?

James234
01-31-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by plymouthvaliant73
To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact named !0000 with no email address in the details.

If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an
error message saying: "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."

Maybe you've received a chain letter advising you to add a bogus
nickname of "!000" to your email address book to prevent viruses from
spreading. Read the article below by About.com columnist Mary
Landesman to see why it's bad advice.

<A href="http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa082801b.htm">
http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa082801b.htm </A>

plymouthvaliant73
02-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Mary admits in her article that the technique is effective against the send all. I have never advised anyone to create a !0000 contact with an email address such as !0000@novirus.com as she describes. I have always said to create the contact with no email address in the details. Of course the technique is not effective against viruses with their own mail client using addresses found elsewhere in your files. I never said it was. The technique is only one weapon in your arsenal against viruses which should of course include an updated antivirus program.

thelawnguy
02-01-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by SnoJob67

Hmmm...just noticed that Retro67 has returned... :alien:

big james
02-01-2002, 02:05 PM
I hear there is a virus that wipes your P.C. comepletley out ,it's a cute little E-mail about the bud frogs ...Don't open!:confused:

Barkleymut
02-01-2002, 02:30 PM
The real problem is that we don't prosecute those responsible for these crimes. If every person who knowingly sends a virus through e-mail was locked up for life I think the occurance rate would drop significantly. But I hate it when a criminal is locked up for life using up all of the tax dollars I pay so I've got another idea! Lets shoot them in the head with a .22 That will cost about 3 cents and bring this problem to a screeching halt. I think I need a new signature that says something like "If everyone thought like me the crime rate sure would be low".