PDA

View Full Version : Best time to apply pesticides to fruit trees?

qserve
05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm looking for input on the correct timing of preventive pesticide application for small residential fruit trees. Multiple applications starting at small leaf stage and every few weeks therafter is what I've been reading so far. Some locals say they have good luck with a single app. following blossom dropoff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Just getting started in NW Ia.:walking:

heritage
05-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm looking for input on the correct timing of preventive pesticide application for small residential fruit trees. Multiple applications starting at small leaf stage and every few weeks therafter is what I've been reading so far. Some locals say they have good luck with a single app. following blossom dropoff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Qserve,

You need to contact your local Ag University (They likely have a website) as they will have the awnsers you need that are very dependant on the type of fruit trees you plan to spray.

A typical spray used has Captan, Sevin and Malathion combined,(home orchard fruit spray) and must be sprayed very shortly after it is mixed, as the Captan and Sevin break down quickly in most types of water.

Timing is Critical for WHEN, and your local experts (University) will know exactly.

Enjoy,

Pete

qserve
05-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Thank you! I'll check that out

heritage
05-20-2008, 11:45 PM
You are Welcome. :usflag:

Pete

mngrassguy
05-21-2008, 03:51 AM
I usually spray as soon as insect begin to appear and again in 30 days

RigglePLC
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Emmetsburg,
Cornell, Michigan State and Washington state have great fruit spraying recommendations. (Iowa State, too.) However it is a lot of work and involves a lot of sprays to do the job right. Take a look at the Michigan State Fruit newsletter for May 20.
http://ipm.msu.edu/fruit-cat.htm

RAlmaroad
05-22-2008, 06:44 AM

A great product is "Bonide" Read the label. Usually 10-14 days apart up to two weeks prior harvest. Just go by a good garden center and find it. This is for apples, cherry, peach etc.

gorknoids
05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Are you talking about insecticides or fungicides? Borers or scale? Lots of stuff to consider, especially if the fruit is going to be eaten. The stuff I shoot on ornamental Kwanzans might not be okay for Bings.