PDA

View Full Version : Reseeding after weed killer application

NiceSpot
05-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Wondering if someone could help me out. I sprayed a yard with Ortho Weedbgon max last sunday, 5/18. I was going to reseed this saturday, 5/24. Will it be too soon? The ortho container recommends waiting four weeks before reseeding. Don't have four weeks to wait. I plan on aereating first, then slit seeding and overseeding. Thanks....

DiyDave
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Most of the time you can get away with a reseed after the first rainfall of 1/4" or more. I know the label says 30 days, but I'm speaking from experience on my own lawn. Try it at your risk.:waving:

txgrassguy
05-21-2008, 03:40 PM
In order for you to have a somewhat reasonable rate of success with re-seeding following a chemical application you need to break the physical bond of the pesticide to the soil.
Rent a walk behind power rake like a Bluebird, rake in two directions, like an X, collect the clippings, fertilize then re-seed.
Simply slit seeding is not a sufficient action to break the chemical bond, you will need to aggressively power rake first.
As an extremely positive benefit, seed to soil contact will be greatly enhanced.

NiceSpot
05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks... I'll try the power rake idea. Is the power rake also known as a dethatcher machine? Also, should I aereate after or before power raking?

txgrassguy
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
If it was ME, I would core aerify prior to the power raking - that way the power rake will bust up the cores making clean-up a whole bunch easier.