PDA

View Full Version : Pump and wheel motor failure (hours)

tacoma200
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
If you have had a pump or a wheel motor fail (or many failures) please give us the hours on the ZTR when the item failed, brand of ZTR, and brand of pump/motor if known. This could be helpful in choosing a ZTR since they such high price items.

1. Pump/motor
2. Hours at failure
3. Brand or brands
4. Price paid for replacement

chesterlawn
05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Had a motor go on a lazer wih 3600 hrs. I cost $700 with labor.

KDJ
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
John Deere Quicktrak A pump at less than 300 Hours Repairs about 1100.00

ProStreetCamaro
05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Well dang I guess I am excluded from this one. Our lazer hp has 2,200 hours and still going strong. The first blade clutch just went out on it today. Most guys have gone through 2 or more blade clutches in that many hours.

TLS
05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Buddy of mine just had one go on his SuperZ. Still covered under 2 year warranty. 600 some hours. Just went on Monday. Don't know the specifics yet.

I seem to be about 100hrs behind him, so when his muffler broke, mine followed soon after. Hope it isn't so with this, as my warranty is up in 2 weeks or so!

ed2hess
05-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Tiger Cub Scag pump at 960hours. Scag 36" wheel motors at 1500 hrs...

themowerman
05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
It doesn't seem to matter the brand of machine as much as the way the machine is maintained and operated. Granted some machines have cooling systems and less restrictive plumbing and properly sized motors and pumps but most of the hydraulic failures are user induced. Let your hydro system warm up before using, run machine at 3/4 to full throttle when mowing or just moving machine around, change oil and filter at recommended intervals, bleed all air from system when servicing, don't let anyone stroke the controls when machine is not running, keep cooling systems clean, and don't spike system by jackrabbiting controls, make sure belts and pulleys are in good condition, and maintain proper engine rpms. These are just a few hints to keep your pumps and motors in good shape and to last. Most MFGs use the same brand hydro components.

MJB
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
It doesn't seem to matter the brand of machine as much as the way the machine is maintained and operated. Granted some machines have cooling systems and less restrictive plumbing and properly sized motors and pumps but most of the hydraulic failures are user induced. Let your hydro system warm up before using, run machine at 3/4 to full throttle when mowing or just moving machine around, change oil and filter at recommended intervals, bleed all air from system when servicing, don't let anyone stroke the controls when machine is not running, keep cooling systems clean, and don't spike system by jackrabbiting controls, make sure belts and pulleys are in good condition, and maintain proper engine rpms. These are just a few hints to keep your pumps and motors in good shape and to last. Most MFGs use the same brand hydro components.

In 17 yrs only 1 failure and it was Hustlers wheelmotors at 380 hrs. Every other mower even my original mowers are still running in fact I just sold them a 1992 and a 1993 with each having over 3000 hrs easy. Plus I changed my Exmark pump and wheel motors out at 3500 hrs just to speed it back up. So my guess is some setups like Hustler had were just weaker than others.

MJB
05-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Buddy of mine just had one go on his SuperZ. Still covered under 2 year warranty. 600 some hours. Just went on Monday. Don't know the specifics yet.

I seem to be about 100hrs behind him, so when his muffler broke, mine followed soon after. Hope it isn't so with this, as my warranty is up in 2 weeks or so!

Hey I got 675 hrs on mine now and have already had mine changed under warranty. But my warranty is running out in 2 months and even with new pumps and wheelmotors I'm tempted to sell. But it has had so much warranty work done to it I think it's in better shape now than when I bought it.:laugh:

Which engine do you have ?

daveintoledo
05-23-2008, 12:56 AM
cub tank 650 hours pump replacement under warrenty.....

C&K
05-23-2008, 01:25 AM
We had a wheel motor go out on our Exmark AS at around 90 hours. Fixed same day under warranty. I believe it was a fluke...no problems since. 250 hrs later.

bigw
05-23-2008, 01:34 AM
We had a wheel motor go out on our Exmark AS at around 90 hours. Fixed same day under warranty. I believe it was a fluke...no problems since. 250 hrs later.

no fluke...had 2 wheel motors and 1 pump go bad in first 50 hrs, needless to say i made them take it back and got a new Toro Z master with turboforce deck which i like much better so far!

C&K
05-23-2008, 01:42 AM
no fluke...had 2 wheel motors and 1 pump go bad in first 50 hrs, needless to say i made them take it back and got a new Toro Z master with turboforce deck which i like much better so far!

Yep, I have seen your frustration on here with your mower. Tough luck.
Ours has been flawless since and we couldn't be happier.

And I believe the Toro and Exmark use the same pumps and motors on a lot of their mowers. The mower manufacture can always get a bad batch from thier supplier. Or something could have been in the hydro system during the assembly. Either way it sucks no matter what the reason.

But anyway, Good Luck with the Toro.

tacoma200
05-23-2008, 01:56 AM
I know the regular Lazer and the AS Lazer use different wheel motors. Looks like the Lazer and Toro use similar pumps and wheel motors. I have detected more failures in the AS units with the Hydro-gear wheel motors in the past. Maybe Parker/Ross is a better unit. This is the type of information I'm trying to learn.

Lazer-Two Hydro-Gear 12cc/rev pumps with integral SCR valves, powering two high-torque Parker/Ross wheel motors with 1.25" (3.2 cm) diameter tapered shafts. Shaft mounting cooling fans on both pumps.

Lazer AS-Two Hydro-Gear 12cc/rev pumps with integral SCR valves, powering twin high-torque Hydro-Gear wheel motors with 1.25" (3.2 cm) diameter tapered shafts. Shaft mounted cooling fan on one pump.

Toro-Hydraulic Pumps Hydro-Gear
12 cc/rev w/shock valves
Hydraulic Wheel Motors Parker 14.5 cir,
1-1/4" tapered shaft

Baldwinslawnservice
05-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Hustler super z
750hrs
Rigtht side pump,
pretty sure hydrogear pumps suck!!!
Still love my Super z
Replacement pump, internet special $460....
rebuild kit for my spare pump $130...
Labor-one case of MIller Lite $:17
15mph mower that cuts like a dream.... priceless in my mind:)

tacoma200
05-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Hustler super z
750hrs
Rigtht side pump,
pretty sure hydrogear pumps suck!!!
Still love my Super z
Replacement pump, internet special $460....
rebuild kit for my spare pump $130...
Labor-one case of MIller Lite $:17
15mph mower that cuts like a dream.... priceless in my mind:)

Super Z's have white wheel motors(CE 18). Super Z's seem to have the highest failure rate for wheel motors. The Hustler Z does not share the same wheel motor as the Super Z (Ross mb 15).

TLS
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
So is it wheel motors or pumps going? Or is one causing the other to go?

Frue
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM
exmark 56 pump 24 hours.
Ferris pump and wheel motor 34 hrs
toro pump 400 hours and again at 973 same side on all mowers.

As you can see all brands are putting cheap parts on. Just my opinion.

TLS
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Frue, so yours were pumps going?

I could have sworn that my buddy was referring to his wheel motors.

Hmmm.

MJB
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Frue, so yours were pumps going?

I could have sworn that my buddy was referring to his wheel motors.

Hmmm.

Mine is a 2006 and 1st 1 wheel motor went they fixed it and 50hrs later the other wheel motor started getting loud and jerky, so I took it in, and thats when they replaced the whole system with heavier wheel motors with a bigger shaft. Put yours on a hill and under a heavy load listen to both sides if 1 side is louder than the other that side will probably go 1st. Mine were real jerky and I could tell weak until they changed to the heavy duty ones.

newski1
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a rebuild kit or a new white wheel motor for my 72" super Z Hustler XR 7 deck

QualityLawnCare4u
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Had a motor go on a lazer wih 3600 hrs. I cost $700 with labor.

Wow, that makes me feel better about my lazer with 640 hours. Was wondering how long the pumps/wheel motors on these things were good for.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-14-2008, 10:58 PM
John Deere Quicktrak A pump at less than 300 Hours Repairs about 1100.00

Ahhh yes, another satisfied deere customer like myself!:laugh:That sux to lose a high dollar item at such low hours.

billslawn89
08-14-2008, 11:04 PM
scag 52 inch turf tiger, 1 hydro pump, 2066 hours, bought new pump online 398.00 with free ship, 100.00 labor to install..well worth 100.00..they had it done in less then two hours..it would have took me all day.

tacoma200
08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a rebuild kit or a new white wheel motor for my 72" super Z Hustler XR 7 deck

You can try J-Thomas for a low price replacement. They are showing a white motor ce782383-18 for $429. It's on the Supe Z parts page?

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/101_hustler_superz_driveunit.html

newski1
08-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Thank you very much

La_Cutter
08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
How does the reliability of the seperate pump and wheel motor compare to an integrated unit like the Kubota?

newski1
08-14-2008, 11:17 PM
All I know is that I have replaced a wheel motor only a once time on my hustlers I currently have three units, 2 60" and one 72" and this will be my 2nd time replacing a wheel motor. My one 60" has almost 3000 hrs and on it replaced a starter and one wheel motor. had very good luck

clay duncan
08-15-2008, 12:55 AM
i had to replace a wheel motor on a 48 in. wright mower at 500 hrs. it was covered under warranty.......

mx495
08-15-2008, 11:26 PM
06 Hustler 60" XR7 Super Z 25 Kaw.
Left side pump at 200 hours
covered under warranty

Ferris DD 52" walk behind 17 Kaw.
Left side pump/wheel motor 1000 hrs
$600 I put it on

big'nbroke
08-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Lesco z-turn 25 hp 10 yrs old (206hrs, Yes really ) Right side hydro pump.$460.00 installed by me.Currently pulling the wheel motor also.

HenryB
08-16-2008, 07:16 PM

I have the wheel motor you need if you want it PM me

Pumper
08-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been online lately. I hope you don't get the CE motor for your 72" Super Z. You need the new RC motor. If you can't get this from HenryB or from J-Thomas, you should try one of the White Drive Products' distributors in FL for a comparable RC motor.

terryswafford
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
does any one know what brand wheel motors that country clipper uses?

thanks

terryswafford
09-05-2008, 02:49 AM
anyone ?

bantam
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
According to website, Hydrogear on some units and Parker on some

Big Wes
09-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I backed into a small patch hole the city filled and it sunk in with the weight of my Z had about 300 hrs on it. Replace / Repair was around $1000.00

TLS
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Have what I believe is a right side wheel motor failure on my 2yr 4mo old SuperZ (696hrs).

I'm currently in communication with my Hustler distributor and as soon as he calls me back I will be taking it to a dealer to get fixed. (my purchasing dealer is out of business)

My question:

When a pump/wheel motor goes in a Hustler, is there potential for cross contamination to the other side? Contamination from the stacked plate oil cooler?

My buddy had one go at 650hrs and the other go at 750hrs. I don't want the same to happen here.

I just wonder what the general consensus is regarding wheel motor failures of what should be replaced.

JimQ
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Have what I believe is a right side wheel motor failure on my 2yr 4mo old SuperZ (696hrs).

I'm currently in communication with my Hustler distributor and as soon as he calls me back I will be taking it to a dealer to get fixed. (my purchasing dealer is out of business)

My question:

When a pump/wheel motor goes in a Hustler, is there potential for cross contamination to the other side? Contamination from the stacked plate oil cooler?

My buddy had one go at 650hrs and the other go at 750hrs. I don't want the same to happen here.

I just wonder what the general consensus is regarding wheel motor failures of what should be replaced.

Hey TLS,

That system does share a common reservoir and filter. It is possible it to get cross contamination if the filter were to become blocked and bypass. This is theoretical only. I don't have any personal experience with the system.

Q

TLS
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Jim.

Just got back from dropping it off at the dealer. They're going to look and see what it needs, and get the parts and fix it tomorrow.

I just hope I don't have to fight to get it covered under a good-will warranty, as it's 4 months out.

If these things were $100 bucks, I wouldn't have a problem, but we're talking well over $1000 if they do both.

MJB
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jim.

Just got back from dropping it off at the dealer. They're going to look and see what it needs, and get the parts and fix it tomorrow.

I just hope I don't have to fight to get it covered under a good-will warranty, as it's 4 months out.

If these things were $100 bucks, I wouldn't have a problem, but we're talking well over $1000 if they do both.

Talk to your area rep they should take care of it. But just so you know when my wheel motor went out, the other followed in less than a month. Then they put in 2 new heavier motors which have lasted so far 400 more hrs no problems. Let them know that they should at least last 3000 hrs or more minimum and you should not have to pay for it. Also get them to change both motors out to the newer heavier models, don't know the model numbers right now but in 2006 when I bought mine I had a lighter duty wheel motor.

TLS
10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Talk to your area rep they should take care of it. But just so you know when my wheel motor went out, the other followed in less than a month. Then they put in 2 new heavier motors which have lasted so far 400 more hrs no problems. Let them know that they should at least last 3000 hrs or more minimum and you should not have to pay for it. Also get them to change both motors out to the newer heavier models, don't know the model numbers right now but in 2006 when I bought mine I had a lighter duty wheel motor.

Thanks, I just want it done right. There IS a problem. Hustler wouldn't have switched wheel motors is there wasn't a problem.

I just need this to be covered under warranty.

Mickhippy
12-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Came across this thread doing some research...
Had left side pump failure today. 04-05 SuperZ 1200hrs.
Thought it was belt slipping (from the sound) but going up a hill, complete shut down of entire machine (stall!)
Thinking of replacing both pumps. Looking at approx $1500 to $2000 per/pump! (machine cost $18500 new)
Had good luck from machine and its worked very hard at times doing very steep slopes etc.
Just a very bad time for this to happen with the xmas rush, not to mention the cost!

MJB
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Came across this thread doing some research...
Had left side pump failure today. 04-05 SuperZ 1200hrs.
Thought it was belt slipping (from the sound) but going up a hill, complete shut down of entire machine (stall!)
Thinking of replacing both pumps. Looking at approx $1500 to $2000 per/pump! (machine cost $18500 new)
Had good luck from machine and its worked very hard at times doing very steep slopes etc.
Just a very bad time for this to happen with the xmas rush, not to mention the cost!

Are you sure the wheel motors are ok? Mine made a growling sound , and was getting jerky. Turned out the wheel motors failed first, then the other followed. They replaced everything under warranty. Seems a little pricey for pumps, I bought new pumps in the US for $450 each from J Thomas for my Exmark. Have you tried to order them from the US? I think JThomas has them don't know if it would save you any $$$ or not?

Mickhippy
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks mate. Was told because the machine would free wheel it wasnt the wheel motors. Had to release the valve/nut on the pumps to coast down a hill to get it onto the trailer. If it was wheel motor it wouldnt move at all.
It sounded/felt like a belt slipping! Would only do it when going up a slope/hill not all the time, just under load. The lever wont move forward and just a little back. It wont move when engine running and will stall.
If it was winter I would of looked into buying online but I need the machine up and running yesterday! Busiest time now for us.
Im hoping they will look after me on price but it will still cost a bucket load unfortunately. Im just hoping it can be fixed by next Monday to lessen the lost income!
I'll let you know how it all works out!

DAR57
08-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I know this is an old post but the question of rebuild kit was never answered. Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit? At this point in time has anyone had any luck with them.