PDA

View Full Version : TORO Mower issues

fdfflvks
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Hello all, I have a 2005 Toro Zero turn with a 48" Turbo-Force Deck that is just not cutting to the standard. It will not cut to the full 48" and if not mowed right it will leave strips of grass. I have replaced the belts, and blades several times and keep the spindles greased before every used. The blades are usually sharp and right angle with a close center on being balanced. Everytime I mowed and want to make it look I will have to double cut the yard to make it look smooth to some extent.. I was wanting to see if anyone has had any issues like this with a TORO or Exmark mower that is not mowing right. Thanks

bill8379
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I had problems with mohawking on my Toro 36. Mostly it happened when I was on a curve, the problem was that my deck was pitched too much. Once I went back to flat deck it was ok. Just throwing ideas.

DillonsLawnCare
05-21-2008, 05:00 PM
i have cut issues with my toro mower. but mine is a 7 gauge deck. yours is a turbo force. those shouldnt be cutting like that. how long have you had it??

ProStreetCamaro
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Are you useing high lift blades? Have you checked the pitch of the deck? Is the deck clean with no build up under it? What happens when you move the baffle around?

fdfflvks
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I appreciate your help, I have checked the pitch of the deck front to back and both sides and it was off some, so I got the setting as close as I can get them. That took a little doing to get the height right.. Wish I would have had a service manual. I have had the mower since 2005 with 220hrs on it. It does get serviced regularly and new blades and belts on a regular basis. The blades are ground to the right angle and they are the high lift blades to boot. If anyone else has any more direction for me I would appreciate it. Thanks again

topsites
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Toro is a unique machine, no other mower is designed like it.
Toro's strength is also it's weakness, you will likely hate this machine some days but watch out because its pay back is nice.

You see, Toro has the strongest air flow in the industry, NO other mower out there blasts as much dirt and debris and grass and air out the side chute as a Toro... And you won't think much of it until the day you have a yard that's full of crap like sticks and leaves (except real heavy leaves) and everything else under the sky...

That's where Toro's turbo force deck stands out, Toros are excellent lawn sweepers. Their air flow is strong enough you can blow clippings off the driveway just by riding alongside, there are times I don't even use a blower.

Nothing cleans up a messy lawn like a Toro, you will see in early fall how this pay back system works yes sir.
Also stands out nicely in early spring, those pesky clean up jobs everyone else talks about are no match for a Toro.

Unfortunately this means it's not the hottest in lawn mowing, the forced air bends the grass blades and it likes to miss. For this reason double-cutting is normal with a Toro, that took me time to understand but once I accepted this as a standard I never had a problem with mine again.

Yup, either double cut everything, or if pressed for time just double-cut the worst areas.

The only other thing I can think of is try mulching blades but they may NOT work and it could get worse...
Worth a shot, just remember you'll still need your high lifts for early fall and spring cleanups.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I found that lowering my blades as much as possible helped (if that's an option for you). I have a 36" WB. I raised the deck as high as I could and lowered the blades with the spacers as much as possible. Not perfect (spring time always has these issues) but much better.

Also, I have to scrape the deck constantly to keep from mohawking...

bill8379
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I like to have my blades inside my deck, as opposed to level with the bottom of the deck. My blades are two spacers down from the spindle, that way if I scalp I only scalp with the deck and not with the blades. I love my toro mowers. I just bought a Heavy Duty 21" commercial.. still getting used to it but I can't believe the jump in quality from the super recycler to the heavy duty commercial. Best 21 I ever had by a mile.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I like to have my blades inside my deck, as opposed to level with the bottom of the deck. My blades are two spacers down from the spindle, that way if I scalp I only scalp with the deck and not with the blades.

I know what you mean. I put no-flat front wheels on mine after upgrading from the SFS to the Turboforce. I'd bounce and those front tires would just collapse! I scalped like crazy until I ordered those replacements...

I love my toro mowers. I just bought a Heavy Duty 21" commercial.. still getting used to it but I can't believe the jump in quality from the super recycler to the heavy duty commercial. Best 21 I ever had by a mile.

Which motor did you get? I replaced my Suzuki 2-stroke with a Kawi and HATE it. My suzuki was the best mower on the planet, but the Kawi struggles in almost any strand of turf...

daveintoledo
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
that mower should cut great with one pass, sometnig isnt right, id still guess, its the deck level, see if you can get one of those little gadgets that lay on the cement, and measure the blade heights, ill bet either its not level, or a spindel is bent of off in some way....

the turbo force deck should rip though any thing you throw at it.... do you have the baffle set correctly for your mowing conditions.....

bill8379
05-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Which motor did you get? I replaced my Suzuki 2-stroke with a Kawi and HATE it. My suzuki was the best mower on the planet, but the Kawi struggles in almost any strand of turf...
Kawasaki. It's great though it does sound like a Putt Putt engine. I haven't had a problem mulching with it, mind you I do most of my mowing with the 36.

Mulching has been flawless so far with the 21 (still in my first week mowing: Way North here) I just wish that I could keep the bag on while I mulch so I could pretend to be bagging.:laugh: I did sharpen the blades at the end of today, I leaned the mower on the side with the oil filter down. It took ten pulls to start it up after sitting like that for ten minutes but there was very little smoke. No way I'll put that thing in gear 3, I don't like walking that fast.

I can honestly say that I'm in love with that mower... it is heavy though. I'm used to manhandling super recyclers and other home owner models, but these mowers have to be muscled around but maybe that will be minimized once I really get a hang of it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I just wish that I could keep the bag on while I mulch so I could pretend to be bagging.

You CAN. I do it all the time. It takes some muscle, but you CAN put the bag over the mulch plate.

No way I'll put that thing in gear 3, I don't like walking that fast.

Well then of COURSE is mulches perfectly. :)

I can honestly say that I'm in love with that mower... it is heavy though. I'm used to manhandling super recyclers and other home owner models, but these mowers have to be muscled around but maybe that will be minimized once I really get a hang of it.

I've been using these for 7 or 8 years now. I'll visit my parents and help them out every so often... and when I grab a residential push mower I just laugh at how shoddy they are. So light, so bouncy - total P.O.S.es.