PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to bid lawns?

Pjslawncare
05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
I always seem to bid low and it kills me. Was is a good way to estimate a yard? I mean don't get me wrong, I can bid smaller yards well but then again who can't. It seems that I have problems with the larger type yards

nlminc
05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Easy! Just 2 steps.

1. wet finger
2. put it up in the air and catch the breeze.

Pjslawncare
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
what do you mean?

nlminc
05-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I mean that usually it's a crap shoot. People with big yards want you to charge the same rate you do for a 1/3 acre lot. If you ask me, the larger the lot the more you are wasting. I have a few that pay well, but most just don't understand that 3 acres should cost more than a 1/3 acre lot! They usually end up being the cheapest customers.

I posted a link to a UGA site here a while back that would help you bid as long as you know Excel and have a profit and loss statement from last year. If you want the link let me know and I'll find it again.

Lawn-Scapes
05-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I use $1.25 per thousand square feet as a starting point for yards that fall between 1 & 2 acres.

kjslawn
05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I just look if I think I can do it in an hr its 60 $1 per min 30 min charge

Pjslawncare
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Cool thanks guys, that helps!

topsites
05-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I always seem to bid low and it kills me. Was is a good way to estimate a yard? I mean don't get me wrong, I can bid smaller yards well but then again who can't. It seems that I have problems with the larger type yards

Try highballing...
Lowballing is too easy, you give them what they want and that is all.

But highballing you first have this price in mind and you want to say it but don't, Stop yourself!
Do NOT say it yet, stand there looking stupid is fine.

With this figure you have in your mind:
Go up with that, by 5 bucks, maybe 10 on large lots.
Now you have a new figure in your head.
You might feel like you're going crazy the first time (or three), like your head might spin a little.
But don't worry about that, it's normal.
So now tell them, the new price.
Blurt it out if you have to, faking calmness might help.
See what happens.

And: Don't be afraid, they won't bite you.

Easy! Just 2 steps.

1. wet finger
2. put it up in the air and catch the breeze.

:laugh: