PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever raise prices one month into the season?

jim163
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Because I'm about to do it. I can't care. Im going to give them 3 more weeks after I send out letters to agree to my new price or find a new person.

nlminc
05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't blame you. I'll be doing the same thing. I had 2 customers ask me when I was going to raise their rate and they said they would understand if I did! Everything else is jumping up and it doesn't stop at the begining of the mowing season.

1wezil
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Because I'm about to do it. I can't care. Im going to give them 3 more weeks after I send out letters to agree to my new price or find a new person.

Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shovelracer
05-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Just a thought, but it would be best if you at least called them to discuss the matter. You may lose a few with just a letter, its very impersonal for something that should have been addressed before the season started.

Big C
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Yep....raised my min price from $35 to $40...due to gas prices...will appy it to new customers for now but my current $35 lawns will get the increase next spring.

DuallyVette
05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep....raised my min price from $35 to $40...due to gas prices...will appy it to new customers for now but my current $35 lawns will get the increase next spring.

The way prices (fuel) are rising, by next spring you probably need to raise it to $65

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-21-2008, 10:54 PM
$10 fuel surcharge fee per month per customer. My lawns only avg about 6k. Then, over winter, if gas prices don't level out (i.e. if nobody begins rioting to show the gov't it's out of control) - I'll jack 'em all up...

cpel2004
05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Just a thought, but it would be best if you at least called them to discuss the matter. You may lose a few with just a letter, its very impersonal for something that should have been addressed before the season started.

Why would you call your customer... what are you going to ask them, if its ok that you raise your prices? Go ahead and raise your price, send a letter stating that you have to raise your prices due to current economic environment, I think most if not all of your customers will understand. I would also word it to let them know it may be further price increases if this environment continues. Let them know if they have any questions the can contact you. But I wouldnt ask them!

daveintoledo
05-21-2008, 11:43 PM
this is why some people in this business have such a hard time succeeding...

you didnt know gas was going to be expensive this year, you didnt see on the news that gas would be 4 bucks a gallon...

YOU should have seen this coming and raised your prices in the spring with a letter,

YOU made a contract, either written or verbal to do a job for x amount of dollars for the season....

if YOU cant keep your word, your through......

its the old tough **** law.... you blew it....

i get calls from people every week telling me there guy raised the price after an agreement...

my thoughts, ......:)

jim163
05-22-2008, 12:05 AM

you didnt know gas was going to be expensive this year, you didnt see on the news that gas would be 4 bucks a gallon...

YOU should have seen this coming and raised your prices in the spring with a letter,

YOU made a contract, either written or verbal to do a job for x amount of dollars for the season....

i get calls from people every week telling me there guy raised the price after an agreement...

jesus why are you so angry with me.

I'm not raising any of my new customers, theyre priced right. Its the old customers that i didnt raise in the spring. there -am i still such a bad guy? theyre lucky I tried to hold out and see how things went first.im sure they expected a price raise, and it didn't happen. if they complain well then i probably dont want them as a customer anyway. could we consider that the law of tuff shiznit also? I know I wont lose many customers. If I do thats great becase money is made in the side work.

HOOLIE
05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
jesus why are you so angry with me.

He probably spotted you putting a flyer on a mailbox...

daveintoledo
05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
no one is angry, but just as i stated, expressing my thoughts only.....

i think its bad form, bad busines to give a price, and then change it...... because you didnt think it out in advance.....

S L C
05-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Personally, you sound like Mr. lowballer that is happy just to be mowing at a 1/4 mph because you are old and don't need the money like most of us do...... There sure is one in town here that needs a bump on his head!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: Big W, you want to be my hitman :rolleyes:

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-23-2008, 12:42 AM

I agree with you, in this business, its a guess when it comes to prices and sometimes you underbid and sometimes you overbid. You will loose some and win some, just the way it goes. I would say, wait till next spring time to increase your prices. I have learned the hard way many of times and I am still learning and not scared to say it, part of learning process.

topsites
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
My policy is no, never.
But don't test it, don't push that button :p
Please and thank you.

Because I can, and will, raise prices anytime.
I just usually don't do it mid season.

jim163
05-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Personally, you sound like Mr. lowballer that is happy just to be mowing at a 1/4 mph because you are old and don't need the money like most of us do...... There sure is one in town here that needs a bump on his head!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: Big W, you want to be my hitman :rolleyes:

LoL old my @ss. I didn't ask you how old you think I am. Not for nothing but if I was an old man that didn't need the money why would I be raising prices?:dizzy: Ill pan it out though. Thanks for your criticism I appreciate it. :weightlifter:

I'm going to listen to you guys though, since the nightmare of spring cutting is just about over and I will not raise em up this year.

Chilehead
05-23-2008, 01:38 AM

You are completely correct. Raising prices after a contract has been signed shows no respect or gratitude for the customer. If any of you really need more money to cover fuel, either add 2 small residential accounts to your roster of clients or find some add-on services to do: aeration, dethatching, irrigation repair, mulch install, etc. ALL of my customers have verbally expressed their disbelief to me, "How do you keep your prices so stable?" My answer, "I run a tight ship in order to better serve you." I must say this has been my best year ever despite the cost of gas, cause my referrals are at an all-time high. The way I see it, every new maintenance account is a $1000.00 a year raise for me. 10 new clients--10 grand in my pocket. Quit whining about gas prices, food prices, and the like. You live in America--make something out of yourself.

Liquidfast
05-23-2008, 01:42 AM
I agree with you, in this business, its a guess when it comes to prices and sometimes you underbid and sometimes you overbid. You will loose some and win some, just the way it goes. I would say, wait till next spring time to increase your prices. I have learned the hard way many of times and I am still learning and not scared to say it, part of learning process.

I don't get the whole "win some lose some" attitude. Are you in biz to make money or lose it? And whats with Toledo asking if you watched the news??? WTH does that have anything to do with business? I saw in the news that the sky is falling, that the world is coming to an end. Should I give my services for free to make peace with God?

For me, there is no win some lose some. If I am losing money, I raise the price. If I overcharge...things are good. Undercharge, your getting a phone call or letter.

In my opinion, comments like that separate the haves from the have nots. When I have a new customer, I may need to cut it once or twice to know if I priced it right. Unlike the PROS who can drive past a property at 55mph and know with one glance how much to charge (and be within a $1 variance), I still need to cut it first. I have not been off too much ever (that I am aware of).

Anyway, not trying to knock anyone for their opinion, cuz we all know they are like aholes but seriously, if you bid a job and are off a few bucks, leave it be. If you are off by quite a bit, give them a call.

lostmdboy
05-23-2008, 07:20 AM
The way I see it. the Bread companies raise there prices. The Phone Co raise there prices. With no stinking letter. Not even a jar of vasaline. If you feel you must do it then you must. At this point though I am trying to hold steady, but also maybe proform a few extra tasks for the custimer while there to cover the extra expence. Another method I have been using is to goup them better, and cut as many as close together as possible.

topsites
05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
The way I see it. the Bread companies raise there prices. The Phone Co raise there prices. With no stinking letter. Not even a jar of vasaline. If you feel you must do it then you must. At this point though I am trying to hold steady, but also maybe proform a few extra tasks for the custimer while there to cover the extra expence.

Not disagreeing, but as small operations you and I are looked upon as a person and not nameless entities and faceless corporations. Customers should not really expect us to act any different, but yet they do, and maybe we should.

Not saying it can't be done, I'm not even saying I have never done it, quite to the contrary heh...
But it's just not the best idea, it really isn't.

I can tell you this: If someone keeps taking a foot when I give them an inch...
Sadly it still doesn't work out in the end, it seems you're as well off letting them find someone else.
Because it's not very nice, and that is how they see it, of course :cry:

Another idea is to just deal with it, everyone has to eat crud sometimes, and here we get our turn. :p

Another method I have been using is to goup them better, and cut as many as close together as possible.

In my business this is known as cost reduction, it is a vital part to staying operational. While at times cost reductions merely allow us to survive, there are also times these reductions increase our profit while maintaining price stability.

Cost reductions aren't always fun, but they are good in the long term.

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
If they signed a contract to have their lawn mowed and decide to dump you even though they signed a contract, why is it that bad to ask for a increase for the work? Why is it OK for them to dump us but we can't justifiably ask for more money because of a contract?

I told a guy this morning that has been a pain to deal with. ( he wants to mow his own lawn but doesn't have the time to do it) So 2-3 weeks go by since I mowed and he calls and wants it done again. After asking about doing his lawn today, he said he'd do it since Monday is a holiday. I told him I could take care of it today but he wants to do it. I then told him if he calls next week and wants it done again, I'm charging double until he has me do it weekly. If not, see ya...... I didn't take up this profession to be "on call" for anyone.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
...I then told him if he calls next week and wants it done again, I'm charging double until he has me do it weekly. If not, see ya...... I didn't take up this profession to be "on call" for anyone.

Amen to that. It's my way or the highway.

As I mentioned before, if you're worried about contractual obligations, just use the "fuel surcharge" as a workaround. You still get your money, but the price per cut (on paper) stays where it was.

lawnboy dan
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
i raised mine ! another reason not to go with contracts!

daveintoledo
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM

in 5 years i have built my business up to one of the most successful in the area.......

many of you are not businessmen, just a few kids in there 20;s who think they know something,

lets see if your still here in three more years,

this is also why many of the veterans of this site have disapeared, too many kids acting as if they have been doing this forever....

White Gardens
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow, a wide range of replies in this thread.

Tell me, how anyone could fore-see a 2 dollar a gallon jump in fuel prices over the last year. Besides, it's probably going to jump to $5.00 a gallon by the end of the season. Maybe 2 years ago I would have stuck with the same price over the whole season. Not now. Besides, when I do landscaping bids I tell all my customers that the estimate is only good for 20 days, after that a new estimate is written up.

My philosophy is, keep good personal relationships with your customers. I've found people are more than willing to let me charge them more only because of my customer service, and they know what I'm trying to achieve with my business.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make good friends with all my clients, but I'm not going to be a service that doesn't care who I take money from.

Chilehead
05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
in 5 years i have built my business up to one of the most successful in the area.......

many of you are not businessmen, just a few kids in there 20;s who think they know something,

lets see if your still here in three more years,

this is also why many of the veterans of this site have disapeared, too many kids acting as if they have been doing this forever....

How true, how true. I have 13 years in the biz with this October making it 6 years self-employed. The audience we cater to [residential customers] are mostly white collar folks. These are America's business people. If you learn how the business world operates (sales, negotiations, marketing, SPEAKING PROPER ENGLISH) you will succeed despite higher operating costs.:weightlifter:

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-25-2008, 12:22 AM
...SPEAKING PROPER ENGLISH...

Heck yeah. I tried getting a price raise as follows: "Yo foo, My price jus' got awl jacked up, so you gonna pay or I'll bust a cap in that a$$."

I got fired after her husband chased me off the lawn with a rake. Go figure...

LawnsRUsInc.
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
alc greg stole the words from my mouth. I really like how some of you guys say well i have not done this or that and i have been in business 5-13 years oh wow that doesnt matter one bit. So if fuel went from $4 a gallon today to $10 tomorrow you would hold to your guns well if so we have a extra mower at my shop for you to use cause you will be out of business. Also like stated before, a contract signed legal binding or not if a customer sees his neighbors lawn getting cut by a guy for $5 cheaper than what your charging they will drop you in a second.

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
never have raised price for homeowners unless it was a large lawn.i try to make it up with charging new customers a higher price.commercials i give 30 days notice.

LawnsRUsInc.
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
180 lawns a week, we would have to rip off all new customers 2 fold to make that work. I raised salt prices over winter 300% everyone paid