PDA

View Full Version : Comments on yards with fenced in back yards?

billslawn89
05-21-2008, 09:42 PM
seems like i am getting alot of calls for a bid with fenced in back yards.. probably because nobody else wants to do them! I sorta hate them, especially the chain link fences, but i guess, a job is a job, or a pita job!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
60% of our clients have Gated back yards, thats what a 32 or 36 inch Stander is for :laugh: Take the work and charge accordingly for the extra trimming. If your in this business to pick all the gravey yards get out. Most of these are my best clients,complete lawn service.You name it they want it ! Just because they have a fence is no reson to refuse them..No pune intended

KrayzKajun
05-21-2008, 09:52 PM
just charge more! simple as tht!

billslawn89
05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
just charge more! simple as tht!

ya, thats what i tell them in the bid, since i have to use a smaller size mower, price will be alittle higher.. believe me, i grap these accounts up, because i think alot of guys don't want them.

jrush
05-21-2008, 09:57 PM
more time= more $ if they don't want to pay it, one less pita job!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=billslawn89;2334549]ya, thats what i tell them in the bid, since i have to use a smaller size mower, price will be alittle higher.. believe me, i grap these accounts up, because i think alot of guys don't want them

Come on Bill a few extra minutes ,cause you cant ride the Tiger !:laugh: Take the Jobs. As stiff as the competition is in florida you better get what you can. Just cause they have a fence does not meen there Pita. Sounds like Laziness to me

billslawn89
05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=billslawn89;2334549]ya, thats what i tell them in the bid, since i have to use a smaller size mower, price will be alittle higher.. believe me, i grap these accounts up, because i think alot of guys don't want them

Come on Bill a few extra minutes ,cause you cant ride the Tiger !:laugh: Take the Jobs. As stiff as the competition is in florida you better get what you can. Just cause they have a fence does not meen there Pita. Sounds like Laziness to me

na..not being lazy! your right about the competition around here, everywhere i look, truck and trailer...thats why i have the 36" lesco, for this reason, fenced in yards!

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I have paid to have gates widened in the past so I can get my 52" Stander through.... big time saver.......

nosparkplugs
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I am the company that jumps all over the fenced or gated yards. This is a investment property that I have. I sold my Scags 48" velocity decks; because I was leaving money on the table. I can jut clean house with the Walker GHS. My only regret was waiting 7 years to purchase a Walker, I listen to what others said negative it's all BS about the Walker. it's been a blessing since the purchase. I will never go back to mulching expect for wide area's. Our 36" Walkebehinds are in storage now their a waste of money nowadays, and the Walker is always on the trailer. Walker GHS=higher profits, and the customer will pay for the high price Walker GHS collection more so than when I was selling the Scag Mulching BS. I am making more money with the Walker

So for all You Walker haters/doubters "the proofs in the pudding" to justify the "expensive price".

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Rentalproperty.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Walkeringate.jpg

freshprince94
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Almost all my yards are gated. I use a 21 anyway until I have money for a 36 so it's not a problem.

nosparkplugs
05-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I have learned that most pain in the ars customers are the one's with the 1/2 acre backyard with the 36" gate WTF I pass on those. I gotta have 42" gate, and want it mowed for nothing, regardless of what you explain to them about the type of equipment you need a 36" or 42" or 21" push mower, and more money. Their yards tend to be overgrown? hint; because no other LCO wants to deal with them. With a Walker GHS you can quote a high price because you can collected the grass, and if they say no good buy, and usually they will call you back; because it's to high for the lowballers cheap equipment or the LCO with 15 pushmowers cannot make money on it

nosparkplugs
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I have paid to have gates widened in the past so I can get my 52" Stander through.... big time saver.......

WTF, with a 52" deck you must be busy widening gates.:hammerhead:l I have never in my life paid to have a gate widen. I will tell the customer they need to widen their gates for our service i am not in the gate business. i can be on site and Walker GHS'N while your building your gate.

ed2hess
05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
ya, thats what i tell them in the bid, since i have to use a smaller size mower, price will be alittle higher.. believe me, i grap these accounts up, because i think alot of guys don't want them.

Are you kidding.....100% of the yards are fenced in our city what is the big deal? Can't cut these small yards with riders anyway customer complain.

gorknoids
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
A 2" swath of glyphosate cures all that. Of course, any new job I look at includes suggestions for landscaping, and many times "fences" become "backs of beds".

DuallyVette
05-21-2008, 11:43 PM

Me too. I no longer have anything smaller than 52". And never will.

ProStreetCamaro
05-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I am the company that jumps all over the fenced or gated yards. This is a investment property that I have. I sold my Scags 48" velocity decks; because I was leaving money on the table. I can jut clean house with the Walker GHS. My only regret was waiting 7 years to purchase a Walker, I listen to what others said negative it's all BS about the Walker. it's been a blessing since the purchase. I will never go back to mulching expect for wide area's. Our 36" Walkebehinds are in storage now their a waste of money nowadays, and the Walker is always on the trailer. Walker GHS=higher profits, and the customer will pay for the high price Walker GHS collection more so than when I was selling the Scag Mulching BS. I am making more money with the Walker

So for all You Walker haters/doubters "the proofs in the pudding" to justify the "expensive price".

Screw mulching thats a joke. Its all about side discharge. While your going nice and slow on your walker with the speed up kit to a whopping 6.5 mph :laugh: ill already be on my way to the next job. On top of that you have to dump and handle all that grass you collect. No thanks.

Let me make this real clear

1. We refuse to bag
2. They are to damn slow
3. The 3rd wheel mark in the stripes are terrible
4. They take up way to much room on a trailer
5. I can almost buy 2 ZTR's for the price of one optioned out walker
6. They have a history of frame issues (IE cracking)

You love your walker and thats great. Thats all that matters. Just dont sit and preach walker when they only fit the bill for a select few. I have seen one once in all these years. They are not popular around here.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I, too, am LUCKY if I can find a customer that DOESN'T have a fence. I'd take chain link over cedar any day of the week. It's so easy to tear that crap up... Even vinyl sucks b/c it ends up with grass stains all over it...

And this is the reason I can't justify a mower bigger than 36"...

nosparkplugs
05-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Screw mulching thats a joke. Its all about side discharge. While your going nice and slow on your walker with the speed up kit to a whopping 6.5 mph :laugh: ill already be on my way to the next job. On top of that you have to dump and handle all that grass you collect. No thanks.

Let me make this real clear

1. We refuse to bag
2. They are to damn slow
3. The 3rd wheel mark in the stripes are terrible
4. They take up way to much room on a trailer
5. I can almost buy 2 ZTR's for the price of one optioned out walker
6. They have a history of frame issues (IE cracking)

You love your walker and thats great. Thats all that matters. Just dont sit and preach walker when they only fit the bill for a select few. I have seen one once in all these years. They are not popular around here.

This is not a popularity contest, i use to mulch all of the accounts I am Walker GHS'N, and the Scags we used were 12mph, and you needed a kidney belt & mouthgaurd at those speeds. So the speed issue is a mute point IMO, Unless you have some perfectly flat ground Hats off to your speed mulching.

Our diesel does not care how large our trailers are or how much space the Walker takes up or how much the grass clippings weigh. All while i can get from point A to point B faster.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-22-2008, 08:58 AM
WTF, with a 52" deck you must be busy widening gates.:hammerhead:l I have never in my life paid to have a gate widen. I will tell the customer they need to widen their gates for our service i am not in the gate business. i can be on site and Walker GHS'N while your building your gate.

Actually I have done it twice.... I am not in the gate business either.....but fence companies are.....and the time saved over 4-5 years has paid many times over what I spent. Oh and remember just cause you wouldn't do it doesn't mean it is not a good idea...... but thanks for the pov...

don't trip over your overgrown attitude......

John Gamba
05-22-2008, 09:15 AM
seems like i am getting alot of calls for a bid with fenced in back yards.. probably because nobody else wants to do them! I sorta hate them, especially the chain link fences, but i guess, a job is a job, or a pita job!

If nobody wants them charge more . slide the chain link fence over to fit a walk behind in the back yard.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Actually I have done it twice.... I am not in the gate business either.....but fence companies are.....and the time saved over 4-5 years has paid many times over what I spent.

I talked a good customer into shelling out $500 this year for a new gate so I wouldn't have to use a 21" in his yard. He's just awesome. Raises his own price each year and throws extras my way. Gets me the neighbors, as well. Plus, he not only ASKS my advice, but he TAKES it, too...

topsites
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Me too. I no longer have anything smaller than 52". And never will.

21" push mowers are really "horizontal-cut blade trimmers on wheels."

ALC-GregH
05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
what I don't understand is, how can you pay to change the gate and make it wider without the customer approving it? What if they don't want the fence changed?

Dean of Green
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
What I don't understand is why do you assume he did not talk with the customer about this issue.:nono:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-23-2008, 07:49 AM
what I don't understand is, how can you pay to change the gate and make it wider without the customer approving it? What if they don't want the fence changed?

I assumed it was understood that this was done with the customer's approval..........silly me.......;)

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
If a gate's too small, I just break through it. That way they know when they rebuild it that it needs to be bigger. :waving: