PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Full Time And College.....

LawnBrother
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Ok, I am really debating about how best to go about this, so I need some advice from people who have been there and done it, or are there and doing it. I have been mowing full time for 3 years, and I am getting to that sweet spot where I have the perfect amount of work for 1 person. Counting paperwork & maintenance I work about 40 hours a week.
I will be starting college at the beginning of the year and I am not sure what will be easier on me. Do I keep on doing it solo, hire a helper, or try to grow big enough to get a couple guys working for me? I want to go to school as much as possible, and I think that getting a crew out would free up more time for this. The wife thinks I should stay solo. I am leaning toward picking up a few more accounts and hiring a helper next year. What do you guys think? Would the responsibilities of having employees be too much while in school?

DoetschOutdoor
05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I am doing 40 yards a week right now and going to school full time and it can definately get tough. The most important things to me are having a kick ass schedule and not being to far from home. This semester I had MWF from 10-1 and then TTR 11-1215. It worked out perfect because I would be done with class at 1pm the latest everyday and that gave me a good few hours to get yards done. I'd mow 1 or 2 days during the week then go all out friday and saturday. Its tough but really only about 3 weeks of solid work in the spring before school is let out and then the fall is a little harder because you are in school for about 3 months before work stops. I can say that working too much and not studying enough has cost me a little time in my pursuit of the degree as its going to take me about 4.75 years for the bachelors degree. Im now going to school that is only a few minutes from my house so its alot easier, Im still going to have my bachelors in a year or so, and Im making very good money.

grass2cash
05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I am doing 40 yards a week right now and going to school full time and it can definately get tough. The most important things to me are having a kick ass schedule and not being to far from home. This semester I had MWF from 10-1 and then TTR 11-1215. It worked out perfect because I would be done with class at 1pm the latest everyday and that gave me a good few hours to get yards done. I'd mow 1 or 2 days during the week then go all out friday and saturday. Its tough but really only about 3 weeks of solid work in the spring before school is let out and then the fall is a little harder because you are in school for about 3 months before work stops. I can say that working too much and not studying enough has cost me a little time in my pursuit of the degree as its going to take me about 4.75 years for the bachelors degree. Im now going to school that is only a few minutes from my house so its alot easier, Im still going to have my bachelors in a year or so, and Im making very good money.

Doetsch,
That is awesome!! What are you studying? I'm also in school working on my 4 yr in Information Systems. I had to take last quarter off because I had little time to study as I have my family, full-time job, lawns, and school. Good luck with school and the maintenance.

LawnBrother
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks Doetsch. I have a little over 40, but I am still working 4-5 days to get everything done with rain, etc. Luckily my routes are real tight and school is close to home. I know that it is going to be hard. I just want to make it as easy as I can! I want to go full time also, thanks for the inspiration & advice and good luck to you Doetsch!

snowshreadr4ever
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
yea man i go to school at michigan state, about 45 minutes away from my house. Currently doing about 55 yards per week. I mow with one other person for the 4 months i have off in summer. The months that overlap with school, i just have the people that work for me take care of it. This works great for me because i'm still making money and gas is too pricy to come back everyday. I'd say if you are going to a university where you need to live on campus your freshmen year, definitly hire people to do it (make sure they know what they are doing though). If going to a community college you can probally manage though.

LawnBrother
05-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines as well. I figured with a few more accounts and a good helper it might free up a little of my time and still have essentially the same income.