PDA

View Full Version : short shaft string trimmers?

grassbegone
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Our lawn service consists of two women who have been in the lawn care business since 1995. Have used lightweight Homelite trimmers with 48" shaft for all these years because of the lightness of the trimmers. They're junk but have gotten us by. We're both 5'6" tall so need short shaft. Any thoughts from any of you? What's available for short non-weightlifting women?

K/B
05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Curved shaft or straight? Have a look at the Shindaiwa F222 (curved) or T222 (straight), it's a semi-pro series, great machine. Women like them.

grassbegone
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks K/B! Will look at the trimmers you suggest. Have always used the curved shaft but think it's time to try a straight shaft.

heather lawn sp
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Our lawn service consists of two women who have been in the lawn care business since 1995. Have used lightweight Homelite trimmers with 48" shaft for all these years because of the lightness of the trimmers. They're junk but have gotten us by. We're both 5'6" tall so need short shaft. Any thoughts from any of you? What's available for short non-weightlifting women?

Have got 2 daughters :dizzy: 5' 6.5" 130 lbs. (6 years apart but about the same size)
using the John Deere XT 170 trimmers up to 6 hours a day

KGR landscapeing
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Now i am 6ft most of the guys who work with me are shorter, so take this for what you would like. We run stihl's and now i run a kaw with a universal head. ill trim circles around people all day. The longer the shaft the easyer on your back. and my Kaw weights like 10 lbs and its got sweet blance. The stihls are also sweet you would never hear me complain about those to brands. Echos r junk shindawa is junk too

eatonpcat
05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
The stihls are also sweet you would never hear me complain about those to brands. Echos r junk shindawa is junk too

Sounds like the king has spoken.... Looks like I have to go to the trailer and throw my trimmers away.

Albemarle Lawn
05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I created a shetland redmax by removing the cutter from a short-reach hedge trimmer and installing a cord head. You would have to be a midget or a 3rd grader to actually use it.

I created it as an experiment to trim 12 miles of fence, holding it in one hand while mowing with the zero turn. I actually worked but was too aggravating.