PDA

View Full Version : Walker owners, Help!

Martin Mowing
05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Need some help with servicing my walker, I purchased it from an individual with 300hrs on it so hate to bother dealers for service questions.

I have the 48 GHS deck. My gearboxes seemed quite noisy so I took the step plate off and checked the fluid level through the little plugs. I just got several drips on my checker so I went ahead and took the four screws out and took the whole plate off. There was probably a quarter inch of gear oil in the bottom of each one. I assume this is not nearly enough. Also one side is somewhat discolored (brownish with lots of bubbles) and the other side looks more normal (black).

Any service ideas for this mower would be greatly apprecitated. I do all my own service and am halfway mechanical(to tight to take it to a dealer:).)

BayouFlyFisher
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know the answer, but they have online manuals:

http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=manuals

Brian Schmidt
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
The oil level should be to the top of the horizontal shaft.

Sharpcut 1
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
80W90 gear oil, let it level off through center gear box (will fill shafts partially) to top of shaft 3/4 way up gear.

Brian Schmidt
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Seems odd with only 300 hrs that the oil would be that low. Just wondering if you have a seal leaking on the bottom of the gear box. When you pull of your blades have you noticed gear oil around the shaft or on your blades.

ed2hess
05-22-2008, 07:06 PM
At only 300 hours......you better look for leaks.

nosparkplugs
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I have a MT20 with 245hrs the gearbox's will always make noise; regardless of the hours.

Fred B
05-22-2008, 08:41 PM
If they are not the black heavy duty gear boxes then they definatley make more noise. The oil level should be aprox one inch from the top of the box or about half an inch above the horizontal gear shaft. Also take the blades off and see if there is any oil leaking from the bottom seals. If there is it is a simple $10 - $20 fix. Also take the main guard off the gear boxes and check for leaks around bolts on the housing.

Martin Mowing
05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I found one loose bolt(one of the four that connect one side of the shaft to the box in the center of the deck, that may explain why they were low; However, I am still wondering why one side has the brownish tint to the gear oil, I thought that the oil was free to move from gearbox to gearbox therefore they should both look the same, Right?

This machine looks like brand new but I don't think the previous owner did much service to it other than keeping it clean. In answer to some of the posts, I did not find anything major when taking the blades off to sharpen. There is just a little bit of oil on one of the blades after 10hrs or so of use, is that normal? Here is a pic of it.

ed2hess
05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
If it is not leaking oil underneath or onto the deck put some in and let er go. Just be sure you torque those blades properly because if you hit something you can crack those gearboxes and will have to replace them.....it happens a lot.

Itsgottobegreen
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks like you have two walkers?

Martin Mowing
05-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I also have a 54 side discharge MT 20 bought it new when I was 16 or so in 95, its got all of 900hrs on it now. Been a great machine and the deck as well as the hydros are quieter than my new one.

Hess, I did not know that until recently about the torque on the blades, dont have a torque wrench but I just try not to over tighten.

Fred B
05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
A torque wrench is important with walker blades. More than one gear box has been shot caused by overtighting and then the shear pins wont be of any use. Also by not putting them on tight enough the blades can come loose and hit each other. The discolored gear oil is due to an increase of temp in the gear box due to lack of oil or it can be a sign of contamination eg. loose bolts and some how water getting into them. Oil in the blade hub is a sign of a weeping lower seal in the gear box. hence oil going out also means water can go in if mowing in wet conditions. The oil can travel from one box to the other but if the oil is low enough it wont travel.

Martin Mowing
05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
A torque wrench is important with walker blades. More than one gear box has been shot caused by overtighting and then the shear pins wont be of any use. Also by not putting them on tight enough the blades can come loose and hit each other. The discolored gear oil is due to an increase of temp in the gear box due to lack of oil or it can be a sign of contamination eg. loose bolts and some how water getting into them. Oil in the blade hub is a sign of a weeping lower seal in the gear box. hence oil going out also means water can go in if mowing in wet conditions. The oil can travel from one box to the other but if the oil is low enough it wont travel.

Guess I'll have to get a torque wrench!

So on the discolored oil issue, my guess out of what you described is high temps due to lack of oil. I have already filled the boxes to right above the horizontal shafts as most of you recommended (filled them with 80/90 gear oil and lucas oil treatment, 50/50) someone I ran into recommended the lucas mixture to help them run cooler and quieter.

Should I do something about the box that has apparently been overheated or just run it and hope all goes well?

Jason Rose
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I would just clean out what gear lube is in them and fill to the proper level with a good quality 80W90 gear lube. Valvoline is great. I'd avoid the "snake oil" things like lucas and the like, just stick with oil (gear lube), or a synthetic of the same weight.

Can someone in the know throw out the turque for the blade bolts on the Walkers? I honestly don't know... I use my impact to put them on, set on the lowest setting possible and only give the bolt a few "whacks" once it's bottomed out. I think I'm doing good though, as I've hit more than my share of things and have sheared about a dozen of the blade shear bolts just since I got this one last late summer! Have had the blades a little too loose, as mentioned, and had them hit before though, that causes a lot more damage than what occured from what I had hit in the first place.

Fred B
05-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Proper torque is 60 foot pounds

Jason Rose
05-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Proper torque is 60 foot pounds

Thank You Sir!

Looking Good Lawn Service
05-23-2008, 12:08 AM
The Proper "revised" torque by Walker is now 70 torque, so you shear the drive shaft shear pin, thats what walker is doing for 08, thats what the dealer does to mine.

Itsgottobegreen
05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
My dealer told me 60 to 70 lbs. So I stick to 60lbs. Everyone I know who has had walkers for more than 5 years will flat out tell ya, the blades need to be blanced and torqued to 60lbs every time. Because there is far more stress on a walker gear box vs a regular blade spindle.