PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference a Week Makes

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
This thread is dedicated to Albery, ProStreetCamaro, and GravelyNut.

This was last week at the fire station.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Mowers040.jpg

This is today after just getting home from Clay's Equipment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Mowers048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Mowers051.jpg

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
260M XDZ 31hp Kawasaki
252M XDZ 27hp Kawasaki
148M XDZ 21hp Kawasaki

Time to change my signature, I guess.:)

wheels910
05-22-2008, 05:48 PM
looks like you dedicated it to Gravely

great setup. don't get em too dirty

SamTheLawnMan
05-22-2008, 05:48 PM
DAMN, Somebody hit the lottery......

ProStreetCamaro
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Saaaaaa freaken SWEET! Very good choice on mowers.

ProStreetCamaro
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I just had to come back and look at these pictures again! What a beautiful sight that is.

Now once you get to put them to use in some nasty conditions make sure and give an honest report on what you think about them. Your going to love the fact that they do not gum or clog up. We havent had to clean our deck out even once this spring and we had 9" of rain this month.

tacoma200
05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I bet the dealer can't wipe the grin off his face either. Looks nice, that's not the same trailer either, so what the deal with that? How long? I think you need to change your signature listing your new equipment.

derekarbeiter
05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Not knocking Gravely, but why the hell did you get rid of the Hustler and Deere?:dizzy:

Lawn-Scapes
05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
It looks as though you should get a new hitch to level off that trailer. Maybe put the small z up front too. Good luck with all that new stuff!

lifetree
05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Man, only one thing to say ... CONGRATULATIONS !! Now, I'm just curious along with the others why you decided to trade in the Hustler and JD equipment and go with all Gravely equipment ??

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 10:22 PM
I copied this from my "Hustler for sale" posting.

I recently sold my 60" SuperZ with 1000 hours. When I went to buy a new 54" SuperZ, my dealer had made a mistake in the pricing. He had previously quoted me the price of a regular Hustler Z 54". A new 54" SuperZ with flex forks was almost $10,000 including tax. I almost messed my breetches. After demoing the Deere 820 and the Gravely, I really liked the Gravely and many of it's specs and equipment are exactly what Hustler uses on the SuperZs. Gravely has a "fleet" program if you buy so much equipment in one season. So I bought three.

So to make a long story short, I'm solo. I don't need five mowers.

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's some pics of the kids. They can't wait to go out and play.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys005.jpg

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I bet the dealer can't wipe the grin off his face either. Looks nice, that's not the same trailer either, so what the deal with that? How long? I think you need to change your signature listing your new equipment.

That's the trailer I use for hauling my tractor. It has two 5K axles. It's also 20' whereas the previous trailer is 18'. The Gravelys had about 2" to spare on that 20' trailer.

mattfromNY
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Solo? and running 3 mowers? I'm missing something here I think.

btnj47
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I gotta ask . If your solo why 3 z's . very nice mowers though

ProStreetCamaro
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Here's some pics of the kids. They can't wait to go out and play.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/lawnspecialties/Gravelys005.jpg

I have to admit I am excited for you. That has got to be a very good feeling (maybe not in the pocket book) knowing you have a fleet of brand new equipment thats ready to work hard for you.

BTW you went hog wild didnt you? Headlight kits and the whole nine yards! :drinkup:

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 10:30 PM
I have everything from 5,000 sq. ft. yards to an 8 acre church. I run 48" and 52" ztrs on all residentials and smaller commercial. I run 52" and 60" ztrs on the larger commercial properties.

lawnspecialties
05-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I have to admit I am excited for you. That has got to be a very good feeling (maybe not in the pocket book) knowing you have a fleet of brand new equipment thats ready to work hard for you.

BTW you went hog wild didnt you? Headlight kits and the whole nine yards! :drinkup:

I have always wondered why all ztrs didn't come with headlights. When you're 20 miles from home and it's getting dark but you only have 20 minutes to go, it ain't worth coming back the next day.

You and Albery's opinions had quite a bit to do with this decision. Y'all steered me to them. Then they sold themselves.:)

ProStreetCamaro
05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I have always wondered why all ztrs didn't come with headlights. When you're 20 miles from home and it's getting dark but you only have 20 minutes to go, it ain't worth coming back the next day.

You and Albery's opinions had quite a bit to do with this decision. Y'all steered me to them. Then they sold themselves.:)

In other words we got you to spend alot of money huh? :laugh:

Im glad you liked them and I honestly wouldnt preach and praise them so much if I didnt honestly feel they are quite possibly the best mowers on the market today. Its a damn shame they dont have a big name like exmark or scag. I think if more people were like you and gave them a good shot with a demo unit people would realise how good they really are. Over the years we have strayed away on occasion from gravely only to return again and we are always glad that we went back. As a matter of fact 1majortom (forum moderator here) drove a couple hours from pa down here to my dealer and bought a new 152XDZ this spring after I told him the prices my dealer was selling them for.

Well anyway good luck with your new mowers and I hope they treat you as well as they have treated us over the years.

lawnprosteveo
05-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I cant leave my stuff out like that my station....it'd be GONE! I work in da hood.....

derekarbeiter
05-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Sharp mowers:)

lawnspecialties
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I cant leave my stuff out like that my station....it'd be GONE! I work in da hood.....

I've been pretty fortunate where I've always been assigned. No real problems but I do put padlocks on the handhelds. We have some stations that guys have had stuff stolen. Everything from an entire trailer with the mowers, to actually siphoning fuel out of the tanks on the ztrs.

derekarbeiter
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Man, I'd have a high speed come apart if I came back to my truck and the trailer was gone. I've actually seen here recently a device that takes the place of your reciever hitch and locks the trailer in place. I think I'm going to get one of those and some steel prison bars to put around my gas cans.:laugh:

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't have enough clients to NEED a fuel can with me. I wish it was the other way around. I can mow everything on a tank of fuel each day.

derekarbeiter
05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, one tank of fuel on my Deere usually lasts me about 2 weeks and I have one can as a backup and one can for the 2-cycle mixture.

lawns Etc
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I would have gotten 1 52 and had alot of money left in my pocket you will be working a long time trying to make a total profit. but congrats

heybruck34
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't understand the "solo and not needing 5 mowers" comment. How do you need 3 mowers if you're solo?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Glad to see it all worked out for you. It's a shame they won't stay looking that clean.

As for the other comments about why 3, I can only speak for my self but sometimes I need a mower to mulch, sometimes discharge, sometimes bag, and sometimes I just need more then one mower on the job site. Putting a full mulching kit on is a big enough pain so I leave one mower for that, keeping my favorite mower (Gravely 260Z) for discharging, and leave another one setup to just bag mostly leafs. We've tried chute blockers and they work good for blocking the opening against flower beds, but are not designed to allow you to mulch an entire yard and have it look good.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I am curious why you need to switch from a 60" to a 52" while mowing 8 acres.... solo......

cgaengineer
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Very nice stuff, congrats on your new purchase.

BanvilleLawnCare
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, that is a HUGE purchase. I remember how excited I was when I picked up my new Z. Btw, do you have any employees? Because it seems to me that if you are a solo op. then you can only use one mower at a time.

lawnspecialties
05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Good grief! YES, I am solo and I do have three mowers (actually 5 but you know why).

When I was new in my business, I had one Scott's garden tractor from Home Depot. That was all I needed for a few yards. I aquired a small commercial office account and added a Cub Cadet M60. Over the years, I've bought and sold various mowers to meet the needs of my business and my accounts.

I use the 48" ztr when mowing my smaller residential properties. I've used everything there from a 60" SuperZ to a Quick36. To get the best looking cut but still be efficient, a 48" ztr has proven to be best.

I have some larger residential accounts that the 52" will work just as well. But with a slightly larger deck and faster ground speed, it gets me to the next account even quicker. I also use this mower on some commercial properties that have some tighter clearances.

Then there's the 60". The big church and some other larger commercial accounts allow this machine to shine. At the church, I'd been using my 66" SuperZ but with the massive deck, it became a situation where I only used the SuperZ for this one account. Wide open areas I'm on the 60". More narrow areas around the grounds, I can give a better cut and get in tighter spots with the 52".

Then there's always the added benefit of having something for back-up. Downtime with no mower for me would be catastrophic.

As for the "profit" comments. Remember, there's no rule that says you have to borrow money to buy lawn mowers. I feel I've worked very hard and been conservative with my business finances. Fortunately, Lawn Specialties is at the point it can buy mowers the old-fashioned way.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Congrat's on the mowers ,man they look sweet !!!!!

tacoma200
05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Now he has a back up for the back up ZTR!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Now he has a back up for the back up ZTR!

I guess ? Whatever floats your boat .. You cant take your money or your mowers with you thou !!:laugh:

HBLandscaping
05-23-2008, 11:48 PM
First I have to say that is one hell of a new set-up, Second I gotta get a FF & Lawn job down in your area because the pay must be great to buy this stuff. Good luck with your new toys.

Hope the grass stays green for you and "stay low"
your fellow FF & Lawn care Brother.

lawnboy858
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice Mowers. Let's see some pictures of them in action.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I too, am a fulltime FF and part time solo lCO... I can't take any equipment to work with me.......the neighborhood is not that great. You have a great rig....... ANd I too only buy with cash...... This season is dedicated to saving for a new Stander and possibly a used Bobcat.... It has been a great spring.........

lawnspecialties
05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I too, am a fulltime FF and part time solo lCO... I can't take any equipment to work with me.......the neighborhood is not that great. You have a great rig....... ANd I too only buy with cash...... This season is dedicated to saving for a new Stander and possibly a used Bobcat.... It has been a great spring.........

If I couldn't take my equipment with me, it would mess me up big time. My station is 15.7 miles from the house. I'd have to go back home, hook up, and then head back out; quite often in the direction of the station.

The guys who take their stuff with them in the roughest neighborhoods bring their handhelds inside the station. Maybe back the trailer up against a tree or building and bring the trimmers and blowers in; at least at night.

We've got one station that's so bad, the guys got a call while cooking supper. When they returned a little while later, all their meat was stolen off the grill. :nono:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I usually have to go home in the morning any way to get the kids on the bus, etc......so it is not a big deal for me, and my route is closer to my house than work......

But with the price of fuel these days saving a trip one way is important....

lifetree
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
... As for the "profit" comments. Remember, there's no rule that says you have to borrow money to buy lawn mowers. I feel I've worked very hard and been conservative with my business finances. Fortunately, Lawn Specialties is at the point it can buy mowers the old-fashioned way.

Congratulations on your success ... you've apparently worked very hard to be successful like you are !! Alot of people here on LS could learn a lesson or 2 from you in that regard, including me. BTW, if you don't mind me asking ... I'm just curious what all 3 of those units did cost since you got them on the "fleet" program ??

lawnspecialties
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Congratulations on your success ... you've apparently worked very hard to be successful like you are !! Alot of people here on LS could learn a lesson or 2 from you in that regard, including me. BTW, if you don't mind me asking ... I'm just curious what all 3 of those units did cost since you got them on the "fleet" program ??

260M XDZ: $7719.20
252M XDZ: $7039.20
148M XDZ: $6159.20

All three with the headlight kits installed plus tax: $22,611.36 total

totallawncare25
05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Good grief! YES, I am solo and I do have three mowers (actually 5 but you know why).

When I was new in my business, I had one Scott's garden tractor from Home Depot. That was all I needed for a few yards. I aquired a small commercial office account and added a Cub Cadet M60. Over the years, I've bought and sold various mowers to meet the needs of my business and my accounts.

I use the 48" ztr when mowing my smaller residential properties. I've used everything there from a 60" SuperZ to a Quick36. To get the best looking cut but still be efficient, a 48" ztr has proven to be best.

I have some larger residential accounts that the 52" will work just as well. But with a slightly larger deck and faster ground speed, it gets me to the next account even quicker. I also use this mower on some commercial properties that have some tighter clearances.

Then there's the 60". The big church and some other larger commercial accounts allow this machine to shine. At the church, I'd been using my 66" SuperZ but with the massive deck, it became a situation where I only used the SuperZ for this one account. Wide open areas I'm on the 60". More narrow areas around the grounds, I can give a better cut and get in tighter spots with the 52".

Then there's always the added benefit of having something for back-up. Downtime with no mower for me would be catastrophic.

As for the "profit" comments. Remember, there's no rule that says you have to borrow money to buy lawn mowers. I feel I've worked very hard and been conservative with my business finances. Fortunately, Lawn Specialties is at the point it can buy mowers the old-fashioned way.

Lawnspecialties i have to make a comment on your comment about buying the old fashioned way...
Now why would you spend all your money up front for your equipment vs. Financing ????

Me will invest my money and use there money and pay 0.9 or 1.9 % for 36 months and trust me if done right you can make more money then the little bit of interest you are shelling out for that equipment, secondly if you are a legal business which most FF and Police officers arent you can write off 100% of the interest at the end of the year anyway so that is just that much more money in your pocket from using theres ???? That is my take on it..
BTW Congrats im not dogging you or your equipment just another take on it make you some $$$$$$ bro.....

corey4671
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Lawnspecialties i have to make a comment on your comment about buying the old fashioned way...
Now why would you spend all your money up front for your equipment vs. Financing ????

Me will invest my money and use there money and pay 0.9 or 1.9 % for 36 months and trust me if done right you can make more money then the little bit of interest you are shelling out for that equipment, secondly if you are a legal business which most FF and Police officers arent you can write off 100% of the interest at the end of the year anyway so that is just that much more money in your pocket from using theres ???? That is my take on it..
BTW Congrats im not dogging you or your equipment just another take on it make you some $$$$$$ bro.....

uh oh...here we go...

lawnspecialties
05-26-2008, 11:07 PM

uh oh...here we go... :laugh:

You're exactly right about the low-interest financing but it's not that big of a deal.

Yes, I'm a legit LLC.

Deducting interest is still not the same as not paying interest.

When purchasing larger items such as trucks, yes, I'll finance them but then I usually have them paid off in a year or so. I'd just as soon focus on making more money than focus on investing it. :)

lifetree
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
... You're exactly right about the low-interest financing but it's not that big of a deal ... Deducting interest is still not the same as not paying interest ...

You're exactly right ... alot of people think that just because you can deduct something on taxes it makes it better, but that's not the case ... as you have so correctly pointed out here.

Lazer_Z
05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
lawnspecialties, Congrats and good luck with your new mowers.

luckydooley
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Solo? and running 3 mowers? I'm missing something here I think.

I don't understand the "solo and not needing 5 mowers" comment. How do you need 3 mowers if you're solo?

Ya what these guys said.

lawnspecialties
05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Ya what these guys said.

Lucky, I'm not ranting back at you. You just happened to be the latest one to comment on the "why three mowers?" issue.

I see you have two trailers. Why is that? Do you pull doubles? If not, how can one man pull two trailers with one Toyota? :confused:

A lot of solo guys (probably most who commented in this thread) have two or more trimmers. Why? How many can you hold, superman? More than one blower? Geesh, you're awesome, Bigback! :weightlifter:

Let's talk about people's personal life. How many have more than one vehicle? You have a car and a truck? WHY? You can only drive one vehicle at a time! You should have saved your money from one vehicle and INVESTED it! I sure hope you bought one of those vehicles at 1.9% interest and used the manufacturer's money! :hammerhead:

You guys see my point? If I had bought three of the exact same mowers with the exact same specs, then your "one man, three mowers" comments would have merit. But just because someone has something out of the norm such as three different mowers for just one person, it doesn't mean there isn't a reason. My business and my customers all have unique needs. I've been doing this since '99. I think I know what I need and what I don't.

Solo guys who only have one mower generally have one of two situations: they have extremely similar accounts or they don't have very many accounts. :)

mag360
05-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Lucky, I'm not ranting back at you. You just happened to be the latest one to comment on the "why three mowers?" issue.

I see you have two trailers. Why is that? Do you pull doubles? If not, how can one man pull two trailers with one Toyota? :confused:

A lot of solo guys (probably most who commented in this thread) have two or more trimmers. Why? How many can you hold, superman? More than one blower? Geesh, you're awesome, Bigback! :weightlifter:

Let's talk about people's personal life. How many have more than one vehicle? You have a car and a truck? WHY? You can only drive one vehicle at a time! You should have saved your money from one vehicle and INVESTED it! I sure hope you bought one of those vehicles at 1.9% interest and used the manufacturer's money! :hammerhead:

You guys see my point? If I had bought three of the exact same mowers with the exact same specs, then your "one man, three mowers" comments would have merit. But just because someone has something out of the norm such as three different mowers for just one person, it doesn't mean there isn't a reason. My business and my customers all have unique needs. I've been doing this since '99. I think I know what I need and what I don't.

Solo guys who only have one mower generally have one of two situations: they have extremely similar accounts or they don't have very many accounts. :)

Looks like the equipment is one of the perks of the business for you---as it is for many of us. Good luck with the gravelys and let us know how they do.
We destroy commercial lawn equipment (wear it out) all the time---it will probably be nice for you to only put a few hundred hours per year on each machine and have them still be like new a couple years from now. It would take about 500 machine hours at average mowing rates in this area to offset the cost of the machines---that's solo of course.

lifetree
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM

lawnspecialties -- I like the way you think, I really do !! Also, just keep to your own business plan and I'm sure you'll continue to be successful ... again, congratulations !!

k911lowe
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
congratulations.how much did you win?

lawnspecialties
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
lawnspecialties -- I like the way you think, I really do !! Also, just keep to your own business plan and I'm sure you'll continue to be successful ... again, congratulations !!

Thank you, friend. :)

congratulations.how much did you win?

:laugh: I like your signature, also.

deason
05-28-2008, 10:57 PM

Congrats on the new mowers and your success.

But I have a comment. I think your purchase is a little extreme for a solo operator. Why would you depreciate 3 mowers that you are using only 33% of the time. Do you realize that when you are not using them they are in fact (if they are paid for or not) costing you money? I'm sorry but a just dont understand the decision to buy a piece of equipment (or 3 pieces) and not have the work or manpower to utilize them to thier capacity.

Good luck!

dmanb2b
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Congrats man...nice equipment.

For those asking why three mowers? The guy can afford 'em...it makes sense to him, so who cares? but here is a few reasons I can think of

1) $23k is not that much money

2) 3 mowers should last him three times as long

3) Depreciation reduces your tax liability...I like that

4) Same reason one would buy a corvette when the highway speed limit is 65

"Please don't hate the player...without the player there would be no game"

Lawn-Scapes
05-29-2008, 12:20 AM
23k is not that much money? Really?

I don't care that he has 3 mowers. Good for him. I have 3 also. I also don't care that he bought them the old fashion way. It's his decision.

It doesn't seem like a very good business decision to me. With finance rates at 0 - 1.9 percent these days.. it seems very resonable and sensible to finance and invest that measly 23k at 8 -10 percent.

TwistedSister
05-29-2008, 12:31 AM
If someone wants to get that many at a time, its his own decision but I see a few problems with it.

1. The warranty is gone after 2 years so he is getting 1/3 of the use out of the warranty compared to running one mower continuesly for two years. If that makes any sense.

2. He can go 3x longer without buying equipment but if he goes 9 years without buying another Z, he will have a hard time finding parts for those 9 year old mowers. Also, there will probably be better mowers that come out in the future so now he's stuck using 2008 technology for 9 years compared to 3.

Just my 2 cents

luckydooley
05-29-2008, 12:46 AM

LOL! Good point of view. Congrats on your new mowers!

ALarsh
05-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Yes I need to learn a lesson from someone that purchases 3 brand new mowers with cash and works solo.

ppppuuhhhllleeeaaasssseee

Thats no business thats a hobby.

dmanb2b
05-29-2008, 01:31 AM
23k is not that much money? Really?

I don't care that he has 3 mowers. Good for him. I have 3 also. I also don't care that he bought them the old fashion way. It's his decision.

It doesn't seem like a very good business decision to me. With finance rates at 0 - 1.9 percent these days.. it seems very resonable and sensible to finance and invest that measly 23k at 8 -10 percent.

Yes really...it's 2008 and gas is over $4 a gallon...23k is NOT a lot of money. I hear ya on the investing, but you are assuming a guaranteed return of 8-10% annually over a 3-5yr loan period...can't argue that is a reasonable long-term rate of return in the market (15-20 years), but have you seen where our ecomomy is headed for the next few years? :hammerhead:

Ask him how much he can earn on his 23k investment over the life of the machines

lawnspecialties
05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
....Ask him how much he can earn on his 23k investment over the life of the machines

That about sums it up, right there.

Let's face it, this is going to be a thread where some absolutely get it and some absolutely don't. But that's OK.

I am not in this business to focus on investing money. I'm in it to make money by maintaining lawns. That's it. I doubt very seriously I'll keep all three of these mowers after about two to three years. I'll sell them for maybe half what they cost and buy newer ones. I just recently sold a three year old 60" SuperZ with 971 hours for $4000. I believe that's the most hours I've ever personally put on one machine before.

As a side note. I had a couple of hispanic guys last year helping me on weekends. I let them go in October and decided to drop some accounts and just stay solo this year. So I sold my second truck. I really miss having that second truck. My CPA just told me I might want to get another one before year's end or taxes are going to get me bad this year. If I do, I'll be sure to post about it and we'll start the "why does a solo guy need two trucks thread?". :laugh:

lawnspecialties
05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes I need to learn a lesson from someone that purchases 3 brand new mowers with cash and works solo.

ppppuuhhhllleeeaaasssseee

Thats no business thats a hobby.

I personally didn't say you need to learn from me, but that's fine. But you'd be quite impressed how much money and how big this "hobby" of mine is. :)

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
That about sums it up, right there.

Let's face it, this is going to be a thread where some absolutely get it and some absolutely don't. But that's OK.

I am not in this business to focus on investing money. I'm in it to make money by maintaining lawns. That's it. I doubt very seriously I'll keep all three of these mowers after about two to three years. I'll sell them for maybe half what they cost and buy newer ones. I just recently sold a three year old 60" SuperZ with 971 hours for $4000. I believe that's the most hours I've ever personally put on one machine before.

As a side note. I had a couple of hispanic guys last year helping me on weekends. I let them go in October and decided to drop some accounts and just stay solo this year. So I sold my second truck. I really miss having that second truck. My CPA just told me I might want to get another one before year's end or taxes are going to get me bad this year. If I do, I'll be sure to post about it and we'll start the "why does a solo guy need two trucks thread?". :laugh:

You need to run your machines longer before you sell them. Our 34Z has 1000 hours now and we dont plan on selling it till it hits at least 2000 hours. If it aint broke and still runs and cuts good why sell and get new? The longer you run a machine the more money that machine made for you. :drinkup:

mag360
05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
You need to run your machines longer before you sell them. Our 34Z has 1000 hours now and we dont plan on selling it till it hits at least 2000 hours. If it aint broke and still runs and cuts good why sell and get new? The longer you run a machine the more money that machine made for you. :drinkup:

That's some serious usage for a 34z. How's it holding up?

Frontstreetlawns
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
The reason this guy can afford it is that he works a fulltime ff job making 40-60 k a year. So his personal life is supported by firefighting, Meanwhile the rest of us use our buissnesses to support our livelihood. If i had a firefighting job and still got 2/3 the income off of my lawn accounts i would be sitting in hog heaven. The fact is I dont. Good for him for making the decision to buy 3 mowers. I wouldnt and I wouldnt reccomend it. To me the 48 can mow the 8 acres to. Maybe it will take a little bit longer but it still can and the other 13-14 k would by me a seadoo and a 4 wheeler ( maybe a trip to europe or something before no one can afford plane tickits)

lawnspecialties
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Is it not amazing how this thread has turned from me showing my new mowers to a big debate on whether or not I should have made the purchase in the first place?

The fact of the matter is, nobody here knows my business and I certainly don't know yours. For me to comment on how you should spend your money is rediculous when you think about it. So many here think they know my situation when in fact, they have no idea.

FrontStreet, in 2007 my business revenue was 3 times my fire department salary. My "debt to revenue" status is about 5% of that revenue. If it weren't for the retirement and insurance benefits at the fire dept., I would have left there a long time ago.
Mowing properties with one 48" is certainly possible, but why constrain yourself timewise? With three different sized machines, I more than make up for the cost with additional and growing business.

Businesses traditionally profit one of two ways. They focus on cutting costs or they focus on growth. You keep cutting costs while I continue to add more accounts because I have the equipment to do so.

We both continue this way and everybody's happy. :)

M&M Mowing
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
How do you like the 260 compared to your super z? I love my x factor deck but how do the two compare on quality of the cut. I just made my own striping kit for one of my 260's and can notice it makes a nicer stripe.

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
That's some serious usage for a 34z. How's it holding up?

We havent had to do anything to it. Only thing I did was clean the carb out on the kawi because it had gotten a small peice of dirt in it and was causing it to surge. Spindles, blade clutch, hydros, deck belt are all original. I did replace the hydro drive belt last summer. The old gravely pro-50 my dad bought new in the early 90's had 3200 hours on it when we sold it to a friend and it was all original except for 1 blade belt and 1 set of drive belts. It was a belt driven mower. Gravely mowers are sturdy and built for the long haul. Im not saying that something cant go wrong on one because any machine can break down at some point.

lawnspecialties
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
How do you like the 260 compared to your super z? I love my x factor deck but how do the two compare on quality of the cut. I just made my own striping kit for one of my 260's and can notice it makes a nicer stripe.

I honestly like the 260 better than the SuperZ. SuperZs are fantastic machines but nobody here hates the XR-7 decks as much as I do. Add to that the rediculously higher cost of the SuperZ over the Gravelys and also the Deere and I had to move on after four years on Hustlers.

The 260's X-Factor deck cuts and discharges as nice as a Deere 7-Iron II but the 200 series XDZ mowers also have the 21cc pumps and 18 ci wheel motors like a SuperZ. I feel like I get the best of both worlds.

Opinions here on LS about mowers are like anything else; everybody has one. But for me right now, I am absolutely satisfied with my purchase and would highly recommend them to anyone. :)

lifetree
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
... For those asking why three mowers ? The guy can afford 'em...it makes sense to him, so who cares ? ...

This is exactly right, why should it make that big a difference to anyone else ... he can afford them and they make sense to him, so leave him alone !!

lifetree
05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
... The fact of the matter is, nobody here knows my business and I certainly don't know yours. For me to comment on how you should spend your money is rediculous when you think about it. So many here think they know my situation when in fact, they have no idea.

... Businesses traditionally profit one of two ways. They focus on cutting costs or they focus on growth. You keep cutting costs while I continue to add more accounts because I have the equipment to do so.

We both continue this way and everybody's happy. :)

This says it all ... all he's doing is following his business plan and it has paid off for him in a very big way !! We should all learn how to follow our business plan, if we even have one to start with.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-30-2008, 12:34 AM
3 mowers with only a 12" width variation across the board? Maybe you shoulda just spent the $23k on more crack. I assume that's what you were smoking when you made that purchase? LOL. :laugh:

Ramairfreak98ss
05-30-2008, 01:22 AM
thats some nice shiat! yeah lights are a given these days. Its that one time you need em you wish you had them.. I got em on the 72" and the 48". Maybe add em on the 61" one day.

I like the Gravely stuff, tested some at the GIE in kentucky last fall. I love the ferris suspension so i stick with that but really like the stand on gravelys.

In your pic, does your one machine's 2nd hydro pump not have a fan on it?

What'd a trailer like that run ya? I almost feel like a jack azz for buyin my 18' open landscape a month ago, its the biggest PITA because of the back gate and none of the mowers come off without hitting underneath, even with my f350 and a tall hitch, its too much of an angle. lemme know,

You have all that to mow solo or you were joking? lol I have a bunch of machines now, and we only have a days worth for all of us but i wouldnt ever get more than one or two ztrs and maybe a small walkbehind for only myself

M&M Mowing
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
thats some nice shiat! yeah lights are a given these days. Its that one time you need em you wish you had them.. I got em on the 72" and the 48". Maybe add em on the 61" one day.

I like the Gravely stuff, tested some at the GIE in kentucky last fall. I love the ferris suspension so i stick with that but really like the stand on gravelys.

In your pic, does your one machine's 2nd hydro pump not have a fan on it?

What'd a trailer like that run ya? I almost feel like a jack azz for buyin my 18' open landscape a month ago, its the biggest PITA because of the back gate and none of the mowers come off without hitting underneath, even with my f350 and a tall hitch, its too much of an angle. lemme know,

You have all that to mow solo or you were joking? lol I have a bunch of machines now, and we only have a days worth for all of us but i wouldnt ever get more than one or two ztrs and maybe a small walkbehind for only myself

On all 260's and 252's only come with one fan on the hydros. Ive never had a problem with them.

freshprince94
05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Beautiful mowers. If you're stuff goes missing, it wasn't me!

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Just an FYI for Gravely owners here. I have always found aftermarket blades dont cut as good as the factory blades do on gravely machines (actually most machines to be honest). Well Stens is owned by Airens which owns gravely. The factory blades are made by Stens.

I just ordered 2 sets from a shop on ebay of the Stens high lift blades for the 60" X-Factor we have. Ordered them 2 days ago and they came today already. They look exactly the same as the factory blades because they are Stens blades. With shipping and everything it cost $9 and some change per blade and they are actual factory design and quality blades. I have come to realise the Oregon blades are sub par but these Stens blades are top notch quality for sure.

Here was the auction i bought them off of. I HIGHLY recommend this seller and these blades for gravely machines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160209009223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

Ramairfreak98ss
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
On all 260's and 252's only come with one fan on the hydros. Ive never had a problem with them.

I wasnt asking for a reliability issue really, theres plenty of slower machines out there that have no fans on any of their hydros... but why go through the trouble of putting one on one and none on the other?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey lawnspecialties: how is the 148 working out for you? We are about to turn in a bid for 2 apartment complexes and am thinking of adding another mower to our setup. We currently have the Gravely 260 and a JD 425 AWS w/ a 60" deck, but would like something a little smaller other then our 36" Exmark Metro.

lawnspecialties
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey lawnspecialties: how is the 148 working out for you? We are about to turn in a bid for 2 apartment complexes and am thinking of adding another mower to our setup. We currently have the Gravely 260 and a JD 425 AWS w/ a 60" deck, but would like something a little smaller other then our 36" Exmark Metro.

Comparing my 148 to my 717 Deere, I prefer the 148. More hp and much higher blade tip speed make a nicer cut.

I'm having a more difficult time holding a nice straight line at times because the 148 seems longer. More wheelbase makes it harder to keep from veering off to one side or the other. Sometimes I'll make a pass and look back and it's straight as a pin. Other times I'll look back and it looks like the town drunk was mowing.:laugh:

If I had to do it again, I'd at least demo a Pro-Stance with the 48" deck. Not saying I'd opt for that model over the 148, but the more I look at stand-ons, the more they seem to make good sense.

Let me know what you decide. :)

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I've asked to demo the prostance before and the dealer told me he wouldn't order one for a demo unless a agreed to purchase before hand. As of now I'm one of the few who even use a walkbehind, so I have also considered a Turf Tracer but run into the same problem.