PDA

View Full Version : how many are getting the one cut calls?

lawnwizards
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
i had a guy stop me today when i was on my last yard and asked for an estimate. well, i drive down to his house and look it over and tell him $60 per cut. i ask him how often he likes it cut and he says i'll call you when it needs it. (red flag #1). he asks me when i can cut it and i said i might be able to squeeze it in on saturday. he says, cant you do it any sooner? i have family coming in saturday. (red flag #2). he then says try and do it on friday if you can. well, i cant. i'm booked up. so, my question is. anyone else getting these 1 time cuts that want it done yesterday for memorial day?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Nope. And I'm sure that you do not want to take 'on calls' aka "I'll let you know when I want it cut..." None of that business - go by your agreement and maintain control of your cutting.

CLARK LAWN
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
ya i always get a bunch of those around a holiday weekend. one time mows and people that want mulch installed they will call on thursday and want it done friday. just today i had 6 calls for one time mowing and 2 for mulch jobs that they need done on friday because they are having people over.

jeffex
05-22-2008, 08:06 PM
no calls but people approaching me while I'm mowing. Mothers Day weekend on Sat after the rain stopped I saw people trying to get my attention. I just avoided the ones I was sure wanted one time only.The last thing I want is my customers to see me cutting another NON regular lawn before theirs was done. I did cut one neighbor of my customers as they were my last one of the day He paid me $5 over my price and was very grateful . Several people have asked me prices this past few weeks but my schedule is full . I did take the time to give them a price and explain my service but told them up front I was full. 2 asked me to call if I had an opening. Others wanted the one time or 2 week cuts. I learned to keep spare customers on a list in case I need to cancel one or someone cancels me for whatever reason.

billslawn89
05-22-2008, 09:45 PM
i got one today! wants a bid on it and done tomorrow... she even said there is company coming over on saturday..she fired her last lco for cutting too short and last time it was done was 2 weeks ago..oh boy

NINER
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
i had a guy stop me today when i was on my last yard and asked for an estimate. well, i drive down to his house and look it over and tell him $60 per cut. i ask him how often he likes it cut and he says i'll call you when it needs it. (red flag #1). he asks me when i can cut it and i said i might be able to squeeze it in on saturday. he says, cant you do it any sooner? i have family coming in saturday. (red flag #2). he then says try and do it on friday if you can. well, i cant. i'm booked up. so, my question is. anyone else getting these 1 time cuts that want it done yesterday for memorial day?

GET THEM ALL THE TIME, I WILL ONLY CUT AS LONG AS I GET MY REGULAR CONTRACTED CUTS DONE FIRST. I LET THEM KNOW THIS UPFRONT. TELL THEM IF HE GIVE YOU A FEW HOURS NOTICE. IF THEY HAVENT FOUND ANY BODY ELSE TO DO IT SQUEEZE EM IN IF POSSIBLE. I HAD ONE A FEW YEARS BACK THAT OFFERD $1500.00 FOR A ONE TIME CUT AND IT WAS WORTH ONLY $600.00 WE HAD TWO DAYS RAIN IT WAS FRIDAY AND CALLING FOR RAIN SAT.IT WAS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKKEND I WAS TOO LOYAL TO MY REG. CLIENTS TO TAKE IT. HOLIDAYS???????

LawnBrother
05-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I only do 1 timers if they are neighbors of ones I am already cutting.

LawnTamer
05-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I get them, got one yesterday, and one this morning. "No sir/mam, we don't do that. We are looking for people who want a long term service arrangement." Then they say, "well what if we have you cut it and we don't like it." And I reply, "We have an 8 week minimum, it is in our contract, whether we mow once or 8 times, you will pay for 8 mowings." That is where they either say good bye or commit.

NINER
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
I get them, got one yesterday, and one this morning. "No sir/mam, we don't do that. We are looking for people who want a long term service arrangement." Then they say, "well what if we have you cut it and we don't like it." And I reply, "We have an 8 week minimum, it is in our contract, whether we mow once or 8 times, you will pay for 8 mowings." That is where they either say good bye or commit.

SELL SELL SELL GO AHEAD GET EM. TELL THEM TO TALK TO THE NEIGHBOR OR OPEN THEIR EYES. WHAT DO YOU MEAN IF YOU DONT LIKE IT? WHY DID YOU ASK ME IN THE FIRST PLACE? AWW TOO BAD IT WAS RAINING THIS WEEKEND, I WAS GETTING WET TO GET MYSELF CAUGHT UP. P@#$Y. OOPS DID THAT SLIP OUT?

NINER
05-22-2008, 11:54 PM

SELL SELL SELL GO AHEAD GET EM. TELL THEM TO TALK TO THE NEIGHBOR OR OPEN THEIR EYES. WHAT DO YOU MEAN IF YOU DONT LIKE IT? WHY DID YOU ASK ME IN THE FIRST PLACE? AWW TOO BAD IT WAS RAINING THIS WEEKEND, I WAS GETTING WET TO GET MYSELF CAUGHT UP. P@#$Y.( NOT YOU LAWNTAMER).OOPS DID THAT SLIP OUT?

bill8379
05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not taking them this year either and have turned down several customers like that. Even Power Raking jobs where they say they also want the first cut of the year done, I don't do them either as I vacuum or blow the lawn.

Today I turned down a referral but the people wanted it bagged and taken away. I mulch, my route is really looking good this year after dropping 4 customers from last year and raising prices on the rest also got some new customers.

dura to the max
05-23-2008, 12:13 AM
i love taking one timers and squeezing them in. double the price at least and call it a "cleanup" since the yard hasnt been kept up to my standard. i talk most of my "one timers" into a heck of a lot more than a one time cut though. IMO their is no such thing, do a great job and talk them into regular service. and if i dont talk them up, o well, i made double for just as much work as a single cut and still had plenty of time for my regulars.

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
i love taking one timers and squeezing them in. double the price at least and call it a "cleanup" since the yard hasnt been kept up to my standard. i talk most of my "one timers" into a heck of a lot more than a one time cut though. IMO their is no such thing, do a great job and talk them into regular service. and if i dont talk them up, o well, i made double for just as much work as a single cut and still had plenty of time for my regulars.
thats exactly how I see it.

dura to the max
05-23-2008, 12:41 AM
i'm glad i aint the only one. this week we did a "one time" prune for a customer. the neighbor came out andwanted us to prune, straw, and cut his yard, this was scheduled for the next day, while we were putting out straw for customer #1. later that day we did a "one time" clean-up", turned into a regular maintenance and had their parents call us. their parents own 2 houses within 5 minutes of each other. that particular "one time" cut turned into 3 new maintenance contracts w/ each being charged a premium for the initial clean-up.
one time cut? no such thing.

wheels910
05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Just tell him, non contract cuts on an as needed basis are $95 up front. If he goes for it, great. When he backs out, no worries for you.

$95 would make it worth your time.

J&J Customs
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
no lie thats how i got all of my business except commercial lawns the homeowner would call me up and say hey i have a problem i have family comming in, my mower broke, etc. well i would shoot them a price and say if you need anything else let me know sure enough before i ever got done with the yard the would want me to come back next week because it was so convenient yes its sort of a hassel but you never know might be worth it

Herrick
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I've got a couple calls like that over the last week... one turned into $275 worth of work, the other $850. I agree with dura to the max, no such thing as a one time...

Gardens55
05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
If you do a great job then most 'one time' jobs become valuable customers. :)

wiselawns
05-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Ive picked up a few of the one time cut people. They would see how good i can make the lawn look and they commit to weekly service all season. I have also picked up some weekly mowings from people who already had someone cutting their grass but would not do anything else that the customer wanted--mulching, shrub trimming, etc. I would go over, trim their shrubs or lay down mulch. Many of them were unhappy with their mowing service for whatever reasons. They then ask me for a mowing estimate and then ask me when I can start cutting it.

wiselawns
05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Also got a couple of customers that will call me periodiclly and ask if I can slip them in to my schedule once or twice in the next couple of weeks. usually I can. But my weekly customers are always a priority.