PDA

View Full Version : Time Studys

RhettMan
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys write down time on the jobs. In jim adams "make 300 dollars a day mowing yards" He advises to find out what you make a min. So far my lowest yard pays 21 cents/min. or $12/hr. And my best yard pays 66 cents/min or $46/hr. What are you guys getting?

SamTheLawnMan
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
I try to average $1.00 a minute.

RhettMan
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
yeah thats what Adams says he likes to hit but i still havent touched it, but, i work alone

jeffex
05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
raise your prices .Enact a plan to move towards that rate. Pick times to raise a few prices at a time. Fridays are goodbecause people are happy. 90+ degree days are excellent as the customer doesn't want to go back to cutting. Get a plan and work it . Be prepared to loose a few so start looking for their replacements NOW. good luck

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I have been doing the time sheet thing as well. I record truck milage, time arrived at job, time left, rain or clear, picked up sticks, etc, time on Z, WB, weedwacker, blower, you get the point. I will use this to figure how I can be more efficient, use less fuel and keep my costs down and keep my prices where they should be to remain competetive and profitable. Kind of a PITA at times, but it will pay off.

billslawn89
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
i would love to be around a $ 1.00 per minute. around here are all lowballers killing the professional guys! hard to compete with those yo-yo's...

lifetree
05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
i would love to be around a $ 1.00 per minute. around here are all lowballers killing the professional guys! hard to compete with those yo-yo's...

Yeah, what he said !!

Skyking
05-22-2008, 09:42 PM

Same here and looks like it not going to get better

jeffex
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
prices are a regional thing. $300 a day for some sucks, even solo and for others it is a good day. In a saturated market supply of cutters brings down the price. Lower economic areas can only afford so much. pick YOUR numbers and don't let what others would do influence you.

Frue
05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
42-60 an hour nothing below 40. 88 an hour yesterday. It was a scape

NINER
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM

ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE HANG IN THERE, LOSE EM TO THE LOWBALLER AND THEY WILL SEE LOWBALLER QUALITY AFTER A WHILE AND COME BACK TO YA BEGGING. GIVE WHAT HEY PAY FOR. PROFESSIONALISM.

topsites
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Quality FIRST!
And no, I just use my stopwatch :p

My goal is not about the $ / minute per se, that is only the end result.
Much like in racing, speed isn't the goal, it's the end result.
Focusing on the end result doesn't work for me, I have to focus on the parts that get me there.

So one part is about how can I get this done in less time and make it look just as good.
Another is about where is time wasting, how long is this really taking?

Of course, how long did the whole job take, but the separate parts, too.
Do a good job first, Quality!

Examples:
How long is it taking from the time I pull up until I am literally mowing? (btw, under 60 seconds)
How long is it taking from the time I am done mowing until I am trimming? (grrr, several minutes)
How long does it take to swap trimmer for blower, from shut down to WOT? (grrr, several more minutes)
Conclusion: Equipment swaps eat considerable time.

How long did the mowing part itself take, the trimming, the blowing?
How long does a 1/4 acre take, a 1/2, a full one?
Do all 1/4 acres take as long, no, so which ones take longer? (this can help pinpoint Why?)
How long did it take to unload that mower and start it?

And so on...
I know this is a lot, but just being aware of each and every little thing is what helped me, over the years, cut down my time from what it used to take me. It helped me develop certain "economy in motion" moves, so as to where I get as much done with less actual work.

Yes, it HAS to look good, if it doesn't then I am rushing and that is garbage lol start over. :p

And that is an incredibly clever trick someone showed me, as
it allowed me to gain raises without ever raising the customer's price.
It's a way to get paid more in a way that is invisible from the customer's eyes.

And so on...
And, more $ / minute is the end result.
As far as how much, it all depends...
But I just wanted to mention these things.

Peace

billslawn89
05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE HANG IN THERE, LOSE EM TO THE LOWBALLER AND THEY WILL SEE LOWBALLER QUALITY AFTER A WHILE AND COME BACK TO YA BEGGING. GIVE WHAT HEY PAY FOR. PROFESSIONALISM.

i hear ya! my sell speech to the client is about my professional quality of work, not quanity, but i guess when it comes to dollars, some don't care.

billslawn89
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
good post, topsites ! :clapping:

topsites
05-22-2008, 10:57 PM
i hear ya! my sell speech to the client is about my professional quality of work, not quanity, but i guess when it comes to dollars, some don't care.

Ahaha but what if you can cut a lawn double-cut criss-cross stripes for $70 and it looks JUST as good IF not better than anyone else's cut at their $100+ quotes in the same or less time guess what?

And when you can outrun teams of 2 and 3 by yourself without even trying,
when you pull up after they do and you leave before they're done, guess what?

The worst of it is when the customer DOES realize they paid you a fortune per hour...
The absolute worst of it is when they FAIL to realize the other guy isn't really cheaper!

But such is life.

billslawn89
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Ahaha but what if you can cut a lawn double-cut criss-cross stripes for $70 and it looks JUST as good IF not better than anyone else's cut at their $100+ quotes in the same or less time guess what?

And when you can outrun teams of 2 and 3 by yourself without even trying,
when you pull up after they do and you leave before they're done, guess what?

The worst of it is when the customer DOES realize they paid you a fortune per hour...
The absolute worst of it is when they FAIL to realize the other guy isn't really cheaper!

But such is life.

quality of work!

landscaper22
05-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Keeping track of the details of every property is a great idea. I think I am going to do this over the next couple of weeks. Then I can see what changes I need to make. It will be a pain, but will be worth gathering the true data at a normal pace, to see where I stand.

Niner posted that only the strong will survive. When I read that I thought of one of Alter Bridge's songs ...

Hold on for your life
All we feel is so far from alive
The damned are done believing
The cursed can dream no more
So hold on for your life
Because only the strong survive

Alter Bridge "White Knuckles"

This sort of applies to our industry now.:laugh:

NINER
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Keeping track of the details of every property is a great idea. I think I am going to do this over the next couple of weeks. Then I can see what changes I need to make. It will be a pain, but will be worth gathering the true data at a normal pace, to see where I stand.

Niner posted that only the strong will survive. When I read that I thought of one of Alter Bridge's songs ...

Hold on for your life
All we feel is so far from alive
The damned are done believing
The cursed can dream no more
So hold on for your life
Because only the strong survive

Alter Bridge "White Knuckles"

This sort of applies to our industry now.:laugh:

GLAD TO HIT SOMEONE WITH THE PASSION OF THIS WAY OF LIFE.

Faded87T
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Topsites, I see you are in Richmond - for some reason I cannot PM other members. Anyway, I found out last night that our HOA is bidding out our subdivision in far western Hanover Co. If you'd like to bid, send me your phone # & I'll have them call you.

Thanks, and sorry for highjacking the thread.

landscaper22
05-22-2008, 11:29 PM
GLAD TO HIT SOMEONE WITH THE PASSION OF THIS WAY OF LIFE.

Hey, the way things are right now, we need to do every little thing we can to maximize our profit. I find I am having to change my way of thinking.

NINER
05-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey, the way things are right now, we need to do every little thing we can to maximize our profit. I find I am having to change my way of thinking.

A GOOD UNDERSTANDING WOMAN WHO KNOWS YOU ARE MARRIED TO HER ALL YEAR ROUND BUT YOU ARE DEDICATED TO WHAT YOU REALLY LOVE GOES A LONG WAY. I LOVE YOU MICHELE. SEE WHEN I GET DONE.

landscaper22
05-22-2008, 11:48 PM
A GOOD UNDERSTANDING WOMAN WHO KNOWS YOU ARE MARRIED TO HER ALL YEAR ROUND BUT YOU ARE DEDICATED TO WHAT YOU REALLY LOVE GOES A LONG WAY. I LOVE YOU MICHELE. SEE WHEN I GET DONE.
All the while her boy friend is living it up at your house.

Az Gardener
05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
"What gets measured gets done" Is a favorite quote from my biz coach.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=175022&highlight=production+ratio
Here is a link that talks a lot about being productive. Its not only how fast you are the easy money to make is on the time wasted by not being organized or prepared. It is especially evident if you have employees. Excellent topic.

NINER
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
All the while her boy friend is living it up at your house.

NOPE SHE DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK THE SECURITY CAMERAS. HELL SHE DONT KNOW I HAVE THEM. AND I SAID A GOOD WOMAN NOT A H$R$. ANY WAY YOU HAVE TO TRUST THE ONE YOU LOVE AND YOU KNOW THE REST.
I DONT HAVE ANY INSECURITY PROBLEMS IF SHE WANTS TO DO IT OH WELL THERE IS ANOTHER THAT CAN TAKE HER PLACE!

tacoma200
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I wish I knew my fuel cost but it's changing every day..... :confused: