PDA

View Full Version : "your Cutting My Lawn In The Rain?!"

jeffex
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
That was the out cry I got wed. evening as a passing shower showed up in the middle of the cut. My reply was simple "well how does it look Mrs XXX". "It looks fine but you shouldn't cut in the rain" was her reply. 14 yr customer goes on to tell me how she should be cut on Fridays. "Yes m'am I'll see what I can do " as I stood in the rain on a nicely striped lawn . Did I mention that my motto is I CUT LAWNS FOR FREE AND DEAL WITH PEOPLE FOR MONEY! now where is that thread on customer discipline.......

The Rookie
05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Some people who have their yards mowed have nothing better to do than nitpick at your perfection. If you can afford it I would drop her because people like that will go out and tell everybody they know how horrible of a job your doing ect, ect,. even though your mowing it like fenway park..

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I have one that gets irritated when I cut in the rain. It is her 2nd season with us though and she is finally realizing that my equipment does a fine job in the rain. She was used to the lawn jocks with junk or pushmowers, LOL. And she is my best customer by far. Nothing is as bad as the ones who say your mower is causing weeds in my lawn:laugh: And yes I have one of those

lifetree
05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
... Nothing is as bad as the ones who say your mower is causing weeds in my lawn:laugh: And yes I have one of those

That's a customer that should be dropped, and fast !!

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-22-2008, 08:58 PM
That's a customer that should be dropped, and fast !!

I think Friday will be the end of that one, LOL:laugh:

jeffex
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
this lady is usually very nice to me and I do extra things for her sometimes. I just think its funny that the lawn looked great and I got NO appreciation for the effort in the rain. I have reasonably thick skin so I just let it roll off but it is why I don't get too attached to any one customer. I had a very nice lady who made me pecan pie and iced tea tun on me and had to drop her. I took care of her tomato garden and some extras for free since she was so nice but then she took it too far when she wanted me to LOWER my price. Come to think of it , I have NEVER lowered a price since I have NEVER seen my costs get lower. there is some truth in transporting weed seeds from one lawn to another on our mowers but mostly they are PIAs who just don't want to pay to treat for weeds.

KrayzKajun
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
yes mam! im mowing in the rain!

TPnTX
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I got blamed today for scale and poison ivy.

"we didn't have it last year with the other company"

capetan
05-22-2008, 09:14 PM
+1 for goofy catonsville customers, but honestly it rained for like 5 minutes in the late afternoon early evening, a lot of old people just like to make unnecessary comments (nature of the beast)......

DJ Contracting
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I understand getting caught in the rain but how clean can you get the driveway and sidewalks when they are all wet don't get me wrong but i see lcos around here start a job when it have already started raining, i can't stand leaving a job w/grass clipping all over the place.

jeffex
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I have what I call rain mode where I close the OCDC and above all else no grass on hardscape. I have to double cut to remove the chaff on the lawn but at least I can get done. I stopped the mower and blew off the hardscape before it got too wet and continued mowing. Besides a br600 will remove most any wet grass

DJ Contracting
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I see like i said i understand getting caught but starting a job just doesn't make sence

ICT Bill
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
What he did not tell you is that we have gotten over 7 inches of rain in Maryland in May and its not over, I feel for you guys, it has been very difficult to fit your cuts in

Jason Rose
05-22-2008, 10:41 PM
MOst of my customers don't give me too much grief, they have learned that I'm not there to tear anything up, and I wouldn't be there if I thought I was going too. I cut pretty soon after rain, and sometimes in the rain if it's a light shower and I need to finish. Showed up at one lady's house though, after mowing literally 24 lawns (2 HOA's and a few others) before hers, Drop the gate and prepare to get her lawn done, she storms out and informs me that it's too wet to mow and she dosn't get a good cut when it's "squishy". I was a bit irate as I had just wasted my time driving into her stupid neghiborhood and now would have to come back the next day. I got some attitude, gave her the "whatever", slammed the gate back up and left. Just irritating when people assume I'm there just to make a mess. I'm doing the best I can with what mother nature has dealt me.

As for getting the "blame" on things. Here's one for you... I found out today that I'm blamed for a customers paver sidewalk crumbling apart. Evidently the "big heavy mowers" I use to go thru their 3 foot gate into the court yard area have suddenly, after 7 years of mowing this lawn, started to smash up the pavers. Amazing that a 21" John Deere, and sometimes a 33" troybilt can do that... Nevermind that it's obvious SALT AND ICEMELT damage from this past winter that was VERY wet and icy... But it couldn't be that, blame the only person that "drives equipment across it".