PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Accounts

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-20-2001, 01:37 PM
One of my largest residential customers has sold her house and is closing next week. On average I retain 20% of accounts when a new homeowner moves in. Any pointers or tips on keeping accounts when new people move in? It seems as if new homeowners want new blood when it comes to lawn care.

Thanks!!!! LAWNS AND MOWER

sheppard
12-20-2001, 05:52 PM
I seem to have better luck in adding some of the neighbors than a change of ownership.

Sometimes I've asked them to really 'rack their brain' and get some referals coming my way.

Cordially,
Sheppard

lbmd1
12-20-2001, 06:10 PM
Lawns and Mower,
Most of my clients when moving, always say that they gave our name to the new buyer. Lucky for us, landscapers in my parts are actually respected and are treated like an asset. So when most find a good one, they don't let go and pass their name around. Ask the seller to make sure to give your card to the new buyer, then follow up with a letter and a stop by when the new owners move in. What works well is telling them that you have been taking care of this property for years and you know how to care for it. Most new owners don't want to have to call people out of the yellow pages blind so they most likely will stay with you. ( unless they are cheapos, then they'll shop around ) Also ask the old owner what the names of the new owners are. That way it's a little more personable when you meet them.

Mike

plymouthvaliant73
12-20-2001, 06:12 PM
When houses go on the market I am usually able to meet the real estate agent. He/she can be a valuable asset for helping to transition you to the next owner.

Turfdude
12-20-2001, 07:03 PM
A lot of my accounts will ask m or a busines card, and/or cover letter to leave w/ new buyers at settlement. This is an ultimate compliment that reflects both respect and appreciation of ourserices. I ave been doing work atone home now for about12 years - third owner. Each owner has aded additojnal services and/or landscape projects. The newest owner told former owner he was pruchasing house as lng as LCO went w/ purchas. Met new owner said "Keep up excellent work. Whatever was done in past,continue doing. Treat this place like your own, and do whatever is necessary as long as it is under $1000.00 (per task). And by the way, that doesn't mean everything costs $999.99".

This is the exact type client we enjoy working for! Keeps an imaculate property, pays welland on tme and of course has a gret sense of humor. Sinc e've been oingthis lawn, we piked up 2 neighbor's next door and 2 more across street. Each acount generates no less than $3000.00 per year.

Treat all of your accounts well and retaining clients and attracting more is easy. Remember 2 things though. 1- Do a good job, they tell a few people, do a bad job, they tell everyone! 2 - One ah SHI! wipes out all the ATABOYZ.

Bob