PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cub....Briggs 26hp

jathames
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Guys I had a Scag dealer today trying to talk me out of the 19 hp kawi... and into the 26hp Briggs... Is the Briggs any good... I have always heard Kawi or Kohler.. But he said he sells the crap out of the 26 briggs 48 inch tiger cub.. for $800 to $900 less than the 19 kawi ... any thoughts would help.. Thanks

Jeff

lawns Etc
05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Go Briggs I have heard nothing but good about that 26

The Rookie
05-22-2008, 08:40 PM
briggs and stratton are good engines. 26hp would be the smallest engine I would consider. There is no such thing as too many horsepower when it comes to mowing tall, wet, thick, grass, having to double cut sometimes with less horsepower.:weightlifter:

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
I have heard the same from my Scag dealer. That 26 hp Briggs is a very good engine. Has more oomph than my 23 Kawasaki on my Tiger Cub. I guess Briggs has come a long way in the engine world and is building a dependable reputation. It would still be a hard toss between my Kawasaki's and the Briggs. Plus a 26 on a 48 Velocity.......WOW!!!!! My 16hp Kaw on my walk behind Velocity is amazing enough. Couldnt imagine another 10hp to kick around. Go with it and you will be happy with it. Why not go to a 52" though?

C4chris70
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Look up the specs on the Briggs engine and compare them to the 19 Kawi. The Briggs is the ELS model not the Vanguard. My dealer steered me away from the Briggs and said the Kawi is a much better engine. Do a search, there was just a thread about this very same question about a week or two ago.

ATouchofGrass
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I would NEVER buy a Briggs, every dealer i go to says go with either Kawi or Kohler.

smoothbore2004
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I had the dealer try to sell me the same thing, now if I am not mistaken isnt it kinda funny that now the buzz is Briggs/Straton. I think these companys get together and work out deals with each other to push certain products. And remember your salesman is a SALESMAN. He will tell you what he has to in order to make the deal.
Now as for the Briggs, I didnt like it because of the paper/foam air filter that came with it. I had the same kind of filter on my 19 Kaw when I first got it and had all kinds of trouble with dirt getting in the carb. I put on the canister filter and never had a problem since. If the briggs came with the canister filter I wouldnt be as hesitant to buy it. Just my 2 cents.

pedro
05-22-2008, 10:52 PM
i think you can get the canister filter for the briggs for about 150 bucks more. the els is a step under a vanguard. the els had an air filter problem first year but it was corrected. i run the vg 23 on a tiger cub 52 inch. i have had my share of kaws but i like briggs vg just as much. supposedly the vg is made by mitsibishi or some japanese company. my dealer is having good luck with the new els, but he is selling most of them on the jome owners model (freedom z)

Grass Happens
05-22-2008, 10:56 PM
vanguard was originally a joint venture between generac, briggs and diatsiu(sp). for what ever reason, generac dropped out. The vanguard is a fine motor, the ELS, not so fine. I would prefer the kaw. 26Hp isn't going to help you out if its not running.

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 12:13 AM
My Tiger Cub is coming with a 25hp Kohler....

jathames
05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
That setup is very expensive here.. if you don't mind how much are you paying.,. Thanks

Jeff

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 12:36 AM
me? $7300 with stripe kit and suspension seat.

greengiant9963
05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
A dealer told me the same thing here. I was looking at a 48 inch tiger cub 2 weeks ago and he was trying to push the 26 briggs over the 19 kaw. I could be wrong here but doesn't the 19 kaw. have more torque than the briggs?

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I was told by the dealer that Cub Cadet has terminated the contract with Kawasaki and is going with Kohler and Briggs. He said the parts are more costly on the Kawi's as well. Not sure if this is true or not.

retrodog
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
me? $7300 with stripe kit and suspension seat.

are you kidding? Thats high for a Briggs 2800 trans unit! You can get the Bad Boy ZT 7 guage deck 26hp Els, or 27hp Kohler for $4495 to $4995 depending on deck size (36", 50", or 60"). Add the Suspension seat $250, and the Stripe Kit $249, and your at a whopping $4994 to $$5500 at the most! Definately worth taking a look! You can get the 23hp Vanguard for $300 to $500 more depending on the application. www.badboymowers.com, not saying you are getting ripped off, but in a way it looks like it....lol. If BB can sell a heavy duty unit like that for that price, all companies can! Thats over a 30% savings on a unit that is actually more heavy duty!! Just has a different name on it, and a different color....lol

ALC-GregH
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm not getting a Freedom Z, I ordered a Tiger Cub. The ZT is comparing apples to oranges next to a Tiger Cub. The ZT is more like the Freedom Z. Both use the 2800 pump/motors, smaller tires and so on. I could get a Freedom Z for about the same price as you quoted for the ZT.

retrodog
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not getting a Freedom Z, I ordered a Tiger Cub. The ZT is comparing apples to oranges next to a Tiger Cub. The ZT is more like the Freedom Z. Both use the 2800 pump/motors, smaller tires and so on. I could get a Freedom Z for about the same price as you quoted for the ZT.

Oh Ok, you might look at the 30hp Kohler Command pup with the 10cc pumps, and 2.38 1/4 inch deck for $6395 to $6995 for a 48" to 60", or you can get the 31hp Kawasaki for $7295 with a 60". You can get the pup with a 23hp Vanguard for $5999, but I don't like that engine on it, I would rather have the 30hp Command for $400 more. It will make the tiger cub look really bad, I looked at the tiger cub the other day, and just from a close glance I thought it was more comparable to the zt with the motor applications they offered on it, the Turf Tiger made it look really wimpy setting next to it....lol. I think the freedom Z is $5999 though, I have to keep up with it, I lost a few sales because they offer the little kawasaki on there because alot of people didn't like the Briggs. Not anymore though, the 27 kohler will get em every time now for the same $4995 price point 60" deck......

qualitylawnlc
05-23-2008, 10:19 PM
No way I would consider a briggs. 20 years they made a great engine, but I wouldn't put one on my mower period because I don't trust them. I have my mother in law's rider in my garage right now with a seized engine and it's not even four years old. It says Industrial/Commercial on it and I found that funny. I know nothing about the Vanguard really except the big blocks drink gas, but the standard Briggs line will not hold up commercially.

bare31
05-23-2008, 11:02 PM
My 26 els cub is great!! but my friend has 24 els cub 2 years older than mine and is starting to have trouble with it. we haven't checked compression yet but it uses 1/2 quart of oil in 2 hours mowing. I has the old air filter on it. Someone mentioned that the 19 kaw. has more torque, That has been said here before. And yes if it had a canister filter it would be better, but I can't get an answer on that.

Lawn Pawn
05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Bought a new Freedom Z with a 26 Briggs.... VERY HARD starting when engine cold. Crank for five seconds. In the fall ran VERY rough till warmed up. Dealer said that's the way they set them up for cleaner air standards... OK? Had good power.... but the puny little air cleaner they come with is unacceptable I think. I put the big canister on. Traded in a Tiger Cub with 25 Kohler.... Man what an engine! No comparison. Both mowers were 52 inch and loved'em both... but the Kolher is a world of difference.

bare31
05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
R Gregerson, tell me more details about installing the canister filter, what kind, where did you get it, any problems w/ install? thanks

Lawn Pawn
05-24-2008, 11:02 PM
If this works.???? Should answer the question.....

http://******************/t35770-canister-air-cleaner-install.html

bohiaa
05-24-2008, 11:36 PM
WOW I never thought anyone would purchase a briggs engine over 8 hp....

they just never were a good engine builder....

check the tolarances......... they just can reach the 1/1000 that they need to .........

Lawn Pawn
05-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Got a new Fleetguard canister unit on ebay and installed on my Scag Freedom Z 26 HP Briggs. Real easy fits great. Just needed to make one steal bracket... and friend turned some PVC fittings on a lathe for the intake hook up..... Sorry cannot get a link to work from another post to show you this. Do not have the mower any longer to take other photos to send.

jathames
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
My Tiger Cub is coming with a 25hp Kohler....

I can get a 48inch with the 23 kohler do you think this is a good set up over the 19 kawi???