PDA

View Full Version : Ran over my first...

MileHigh
05-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Ran over my first newspaper of the year....with the blades engaged, on an initial mow, with residents outside.

the paper shredded into a good million pieces...took me a good half an hour to clean it up good enough to not even know it happend, but it made me super ticked, took up valuable time, looked real bad, and I don't think they'll be reading there morning paper.

Anyone else been running over some things you shouldn't?

STIHL GUY
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I once accidentally Hit a baby bunny after a long period of rain when the grass was real long. They built a nest in the lawn that i didnt see

Clapper&Company
05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
You name it I have ran it over at one time I think LOL

KrayzKajun
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
You name it I have ran it over at one time I think LOL

Amen to tht!!

MileHigh
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I once accidentally Hit a baby bunny after a long period of rain when the grass was real long. They built a nest in the lawn that i didnt see

oh man...wish I was there.

CrystalCreek
05-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The paper thing really hits home. One time I was cutting my own lawn when this gorgeous girl was walking down the sidewalk on the other side of the street. I was watching her more then the lawn, when BAM! I hit my own newspaper. I was instantly turned into a mountain of mush. It was like my manhood was stripped from me. She was laughing so hard at me. I think she felt bad after seeing my head hanging down. She came over and with her beautiful smile said thank you. I asked why and she said she was having a bad day and my mistake made her laugh. Well I asked if I could buy her a cup of coffee, and she said yes. We dated for about six months until she move. Good Times. I keep looking for more newspapers within pretty girls view.:laugh:

LawnTamer
05-23-2008, 12:32 AM
I've run over a newspaper, it took about 30 minutes to clean up. Other highlights include chopping a gopher in half, and running over my own truck keys, (hole in pocket). I had to call my wife and have her bring the spare set.

tilawn
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
anybody know how tall a box turtle is? I do right at 3.25 inches that is before i ran over it with deck set at 3 inches

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
jeez yes. I ran over a squirrel today with my 21" that must have been burrowed in some leaves in one of my residential customer's yards. Came out in two pieces, yuck......
Mower did not kill.
Bad thing is, I swear their neighbor had a squirrel feeder not more than 25 paces from where I hit the sucker. Lets just say I got the job done and got out fast.....

corey4671
05-23-2008, 01:27 AM
hit a metal water meter cover last year on a charity job. Shot that thing across the street a good 50 yards. good thing the house was brick and the truck was parked where it was....didn't even phase the Warrior.

TomberLawn
05-23-2008, 01:31 AM
I've hit paper/magazines/trash buried in deep grass and mulched it up. Good thing it happened when I was doing leaves. I put the Grass Gobbler on and sucked it all up with the mower.

Mowerboy04
05-23-2008, 01:39 AM
i hit one of those water pipes that stick out of the groung about 3-4in,and i ended bending the front of the deck in, i also bent the blade and messed the center spindal up. so yea that was about a year ago. but this year so far its going well.

topsites
05-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Newspapers and lawnmowers exercise a strange but very real magnetic force upon each other.
No matter how you go about it if there is a newspaper anywhere on that property and you fail to pick it up then your mower and that newspaper will find each other somehow, and confetti happens.

This in turn will always cost you 30 minutes.

Yup, every single dang time too.
Which, guess how I learned this?

bibbo
05-23-2008, 08:47 AM
i hit a brick the other day... that was interesting.... made alot of sparks and took a chunk out of the brick... i might have dulled one of the blades a bit lol.

ProStreetCamaro
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
1 newspapaer
2 box turtles
1 baby rabbit
a couple snakes
I hit a water meter pipe with the front of a velky and snapped it right out of the ground. It hit so hard it threw me up against the handle bars. That one hurt a bit.

My father ran over a BIG black snake along a driveway in some deep grass years ago. It chopped it up into perfect chunks and threw it all over the driveway. He also some how managed to run over one of those "roofing installed by so and so" signs that was laying down with the 36" scag wb we used to have and it shredded that poor sign into 2 peices.

lostmdboy
05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
jeez yes. I ran over a squirrel today with my 21" that must have been burrowed in some leaves in one of my residential customer's yards. Came out in two pieces, yuck......
Mower did not kill.
Bad thing is, I swear their neighbor had a squirrel feeder not more than 25 paces from where I hit the sucker. Lets just say I got the job done and got out fast.....

People feed the squirls??? I thought you just shot them.. Huh learn something new everyday.

I ran a turtle over once. Man what a mess!!!

AboveTheCut
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
i've hit a few newspapers (you'd think i'd learn), mice, hoses but the thing that was the worst for me......my own seat belt on the lazer. i had it tucked neatly down in the seat but somehow it came out and hung down and viola! i ran that baby over. made a lot of noise, i kept looking around because i didnt see anything in front of the mower and for the life of me could not figure out what i hit. well, i found parts of my seatbelt when i was trimming. @&%$*!

grassaholic
05-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I've ran over pretty much anything and everything over the last 15 yrs. I've hit metal objects in the lawn, tree stumps, rocks, bricks, steel cables, newspapers, baby bunnies, and a box turtle. I felt really bad about the turtle though. The reason is the mower blade sliced his shell across the top and let his insides spill out. He was still alive and crawling across the lawn dragging his insides. I didn't know what to do and didn't want him to suffer. I turned the blades back on turned around and finished him off. lucky for the turtle the blades got him good the second time and turned him to little pieces. :cry:

mjlcare
05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
idk i think newspapers are the best cause all you can say if fu$$ then laugh about it cause it is so funny, i hit one while mowing with 60'' JD on an apartment complex one day and holy hell that stuff went everywhere and this was about 7am one morning so everything was still wet from the dew and when i went to ask for some help from the guy that i was mowing with it just turned into one big laughing comp. it was so funny. and as a guy said if it there it will fins its way under the mower, the damn newspaper was in the middle of a small driveway and i guess that mower had some suction cause there it went.

Hardee's Bush Hogging
05-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh, there have been so many things that I have run over. Most recently: an old car tire, about 15' of 3/4" steel cable, some sort of small metal box and a gas tank out of a car (that baby made some noise! and it looked cool after it came out of the bush hog, so I kept it as a souvenier).

04TurfT
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
there were a few kids playing hide and seek once in some really tall grass and I rounded the corner too fast and the next thing i knew a leg and a shoe flew out the chute.....

J.A.G LAWNCARE
05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
the worst thing to hit is a 15by 20 tarp that was over fire wood , took about 1 hour to get it all from up under my mower deck

wheels910
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh, there have been so many things that I have run over. Most recently: an old car tire, about 15' of 3/4" steel cable, some sort of small metal box and a gas tank out of a car (that baby made some noise! and it looked cool after it came out of the bush hog, so I kept it as a souvenier).

Better watch out for those gas tanks!! Could have been REALLY noisy.

mowerman111
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Ran over a twenty dollar bill,dump out the bag right there and found all the pieces a little tape good as new.:)

Gardens55
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I ran over my workmate's foot the other day, he was hopping mad.

Only kidding!

oceanpotion
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I ran over a gas line that had a lead cap on it. I ran for cover like an explosion was going off. After about 5 minutes I called 911 and the firefighters came and stuck a piece of rebarb in it with duct tape. Then someone from amerigas came and put a proper crimp on it. The scary part is that there many more of these abandoned gas lines in the neighborhood and I dont think it will be long before something really bad happens.

deadheadbill
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Ran over a Squirrel one time. Ran over a few snakes.

Lawntime Mowers
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I've ran over all of the above at some point but last week I ran over the strangest thing EVER......Was cutting tall grass when a bat came bouncing out from under the deck. Thought it was a toy bat until the damn thing flipped over and flew away. The very next row I rolled over an aluminum bat.
Hows that for two strange rows of grass.

I got a call last week from a pissed-off dude. An LCO ran over a paper and scattered all over his yard. He saw my sign on a post down the street and decided to call and ***** at me. What a moron. there are only 10 billion lco's that cut the same area. Guess my signs are working LOL !

davis45
05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Got a snake with the TRIMMER once, and dog poo.

Baby bunnies, birds, newspaper, bricks. I mow for an electric company who always seem to leave big bundles of wire laying out in tall grass :dizzy:

1993lx172
05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
last year i ran over a 5lb dumb bell in tall grass good bye freshly sharpened high lifts. that dumb bell bent those suckers like a banana peal. What's worse was that it was 1:30 on Saturday the dealer closes at twelve.

lostmdboy
05-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Just remember. I almost ran a can of starter fluid over. Man If I had it may have been bad.

81Bronk36
05-23-2008, 07:24 PM
last week I ran over a dog tie-out stake (the chrome cork screw type) Cut it in 3 peices and put a half moon in 2 of the blades. $40 damage for a one time $20:cry:

corey4671
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
one that makes me feel like a real moron is this small stump from a tree that I cut dwon in the customers yard last year during the drought. I cut it low enough that the grass hides it but not low enough for the mower to pass over it. Its right at a spotin the yard where I am usually finishing up and I'm haulin butt to get done and forget about it unitl WHAM!! I slam into it and think...DANG IT!! I know this thing is here...as soon as we get rainy day me, the truck, a log chain and that stump have got a date.

MnDLawn
05-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Everyone has sand mounds for septic systems in our area. I hit one of the clean out pipes while the septic pump was on and under pressure, the mower and my legs were covered in liquid poo.

BanvilleLawnCare
05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I hit a wallet once. The wallet and its contents survived relatively unscathed, but somehow the mower sucked exactly one dollar out of the wallet and shredded it up. The rest of the money was still in the wallet! There was an ID in the wallet so I returned it and found out that it belonged to a little kid.

Also, I have hit more piles of dog s#@t than I can possibly count! I am pretty sure my dealer secretly installed poo magnets in the tires as a practical joke.

qualitylawnlc
05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
I ran over a cd the other day. one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

MileHigh
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I've ran over pretty much anything and everything over the last 15 yrs. I've hit metal objects in the lawn, tree stumps, rocks, bricks, steel cables, newspapers, baby bunnies, and a box turtle. I felt really bad about the turtle though. The reason is the mower blade sliced his shell across the top and let his insides spill out. He was still alive and crawling across the lawn dragging his insides. I didn't know what to do and didn't want him to suffer. I turned the blades back on turned around and finished him off. lucky for the turtle the blades got him good the second time and turned him to little pieces. :cry:

that's hardcore.

wiselawns
05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Had a customer a few years ago that had a lake in back. I made the first passes in front of the lake then came back for for another pass and ran over about a four pound bass that had jumped out of the lake and landed right in front of the mower as I went by. I didnt even have time to stop or even slow down. Turned him into chum right back into the lake.
Ive hit a couple of newspaper before. Luckily I had the bagger on and sucked the pieces right up

wiselawns
05-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Nothing like a fresh piece of dog s### coming at your face at 80 mph after you hit it with the timmer

jrush
05-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Yup... just last weekend I was at a house I've done 100 times, the homeowner came out to talk (you know the old people just looking for someone to talk too) I took my eyes off the ground gor a second and hit the damn steel property marker sticking out of the ground 4 inches! Looked like a damn question mark after. Also, I don't know how but for some reason birds love dying in the lawns I mow. Of course I don't see them until it looks like I ran over a pillow with feathers and chunks flying everywhere. I should add a charge for finding sh!* in your yard, cause if it's there, I'll somehow run it over!!

Mark13
05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
I found a horse shoe stake in our lawn one time. Cutting the grass before a party and dad had set up horse shoe stakes along the side of a row of pines, well I came cruising around the pines and found the one of the stakes. Bend the deck, deck hangers (or whatever they are called), the center blade, and I think thats all.
I've also hit dead critters, dog poo, a newspaper or two, way to many large rocks, golf balls, tennis ball, mirror off a car (someone hit our mailbox and left thier mirror in the grass for me to find), I'm sure there is more stuff I've hit.

Green Team Landscaping
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
just make sure you get rid of the body. you dont want the owner coming hime and seeing an animal in half

Green Team Landscaping
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM
why do z turns have seat belts? if you flip on a hill you're screwed. its just holding you down.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
why do z turns have seat belts? if you flip on a hill you're screwed. its just holding you down.

that's because you are supposed to use seat belts in conjunction with a ROPS...roll over protective structure. in the event of a rollover, the rops will keep you from being squashed IF you are wearing your seat belt.

J&J Customs
05-26-2008, 11:31 PM
had an old murray and bent the crankshaft hittin a cast iron man hole cover back in the day, just recently cut a power wire to an air conditioner cost $250 to get fixed completely took out a "wild flower" flower bed thinking it was weeds.. ive done my share haha

gorknoids
05-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I hit a water moccasin with a hover mower a few years back. He looked like a spiral-sliced ham as he wriggled into the pond.

tb8100
05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Nothing like a fresh piece of dog s### coming at your face at 80 mph after you hit it with the timmer

These little things are handy in situations like yours... http://www.fixandweld.com/images/SSP11.jpg

mngrassguy
05-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Hit a man hole cover once. Twisted a blade good.

AptManitMgr
06-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Out here in CA, sprinkler heads are in season... and it sure makes for alot of repair work at my apartment complex !!

mngrassguy
06-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Funny you mention that, got one today.

greenscapestx
06-07-2008, 11:55 AM
:cry:Ran over a kitten last week. Ran out right in front of the Dixie goin full speed, I didn't even have time to react. Never felt worse in my life.:cry:

trinity1
06-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I use to always run over kids toys and hoses the customers would leave out because not only am I the lawn guy but I am the yard picker upper and trash cleaner upper. But then I realized that I could make alot of money selling that stuff on Ebay.

corey4671
06-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I ran over a kid the other day...

At McDonald's. I was filling my cup up with tea and turned around to walk out the door and this little boy was just right under my feet. I about fell all over him. Never saw him. He was fine and I didn't spill my tea either!