PDA

View Full Version : Plants and mulch needs

bleese
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I have read numerous threads about how to calculate the amount of mulch needed for a given size. What I have not seen is how to deduct the amount of square footage occupied by the plants within the bed. I recently was asked to give an estimate for edging and mulching many existing beds. The overall square footage would suggest I need 36 yards. However, when I spoke with the homeowner they indicated that prior contractors usually use 18 yds of mulch. Many of the beds are filled with plants that take up most of the bed. How do I compensate for all the plantings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tamadrummer
05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Do yourself a favor and walk away from this one! They are cheap and don't want to pay for the job to be done right. They want an inch or less of mulch and you know that isn't going to get it if you have looked at the job and the stuff that is there is almost gone.

If they were just mulched and just need to be top dressed then so be it. You need to be mulching around each plant with the exception of around the crown of each plant. Don't compromise the quality work you do for the cheapskate customers. They will try to jip you at every turn if they are already working you over before you even started working.

Just my $.02

cgaengineer
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like Tamadrummer is right on, but if you want to figure the sq ft. All you need to do is measure the amount of space occupied by the plants and subtract this from your over all area measurement.

bleese
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks. I am going to inspect the property again and attempt to identify the plant sizes to see if my new calculations are in line with the homeowner has indicated.