PDA

View Full Version : Im doing a Bid Am I crazy on the pricing

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I have an "In" at this Business Center and they are not pleased with current landscaper, and snowplowing. So they have approached me with their mulching needs as well as flower beds, with the understanding that I will take over contract at the end of fall for plowing and lawn maintenance for next year as they have a current contract with unsatisfactory landscaper.

They have two other proposal from other companies but say it is mine if I want it.

This is the insane part.

One company told them that the property needs 5 yards of mulch at $150.00 and $40 and hour labor Based on 10 hours of spreading.... lol.. Ten hours for five yards you got to be kidding me!! But that is not what is perplexing me.

The other company gave them a quote of of $160 of mulch which in our area means the property needs 5 yards.. and $741 of labor based on $35 an hour?? that equals to 20 hours!! you got to be kidding me.....20 hours?? for 5 yards

well I go through the walkt hrough and immediately tell this person without measuring that this area needs 15 to 20 yards of mulch at a width 3" depth.... they look at me like i have two heads!! they tell me the other companies quoted 5.. Now I'm rubbing my eyes thinking I have been hit over the head and my eyesight is wrong... but after checking again I was sure I was right.

so here is my measurements of the mulching areas. You tell me.

2 beds 8'x8'
1 bed 158'x6'
2 beds 24'x8'
2 beds 44'x8

I come out with 18 to 20 yards. 15 yards if I skimp......and three guys 4 hours to spread as we can back the trucks right to each bed...

So it seems to me that the both companies are inflating (obviously) their wages to offset their low estimate of mulch needed...... with the top one still a bit low...

What do you think? And if so what should I do?

Should I do the same or call these other guys out?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
What there doing or will do is fluff up the old mulch or turn it over,then lightly handspread a thin top layer and charge out the wazoo...:rolleyes: Just my thaughts .

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Thank TNT.. i thought that too but if they try to do that they will ge a rude awakening, as they obviously didnt look at the beds. their is two layers of different colored mulch. very contrasting different color.. top layer is Black/Dark mulch three years old and thinly spread in most areas.. one area it would be 2 inches deep and others 1/2 inch... the lower layer is what we like to call "walmart colored" Mulch.. So if they try to fluff it or turn it they are screwed..

What there doing or will do is fluff up the old mulch or turn it over,then lightly handspread a thin top layer and charge out the wazoo...:rolleyes: Just my thaughts .

JNyz
05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I have seen some companies go low on the mulching since they have such a high number for the maintenance [mowing]. I think you have to look at it as an overall maintenance contract mulching, mowing, whatever else is included and look at the snow as separate. If it works out that you are getting your hourly rate at the end of each day, I think it would be a good deal.

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah i understand that but the bids they got were not for total contract but only for mulch...

I have seen some companies go low on the mulching since they have such a high number for the maintenance [mowing]. I think you have to look at it as an overall maintenance contract mulching, mowing, whatever else is included and look at the snow as separate. If it works out that you are getting your hourly rate at the end of each day, I think it would be a good deal.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
to many new people in business that dont know what the hell is going on........

JNyz
05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah i understand that but the bids they got were not for total contract but only for mulch...

Then it looks like they are just trying to get a foot in the door. Remember three inches is a lot of mulch. Most of my properties are mulched every year and we never put down more then two. Fifteen yards of mulch is a 1500 dollar mulch job.

PerfectEarth
05-23-2008, 10:28 PM
At 2 inches of mulch (three is WAY too much IMO), less plant material (and I don't know what that looks like) for that area- you're at about 9 yards.... You are way too high on your estimate for mulch needs.

JNyz
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
At 2 inches of mulch (three is WAY too much IMO), less plant material (and I don't know what that looks like) for that area- you're at about 9 yards.... You are way too high on your estimate for mulch needs.

That sounds about right.

topsites
05-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I can't tell for sure without looking at it, I have to see it, but based
PURELY on square footage, I would probably do that for $300-340, total.
Fade resistant guaranteed, edged, and treated for weeds.

Unfortunately I can not commit myself as to
doing the job without first taking a look.

payup

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 10:41 PM
you guys are doing two inches of mulch? wow.. standard around here is 3" minimum...unless you want it to break donw in a year and look like crap....we live in rough environment....so your saying im high.. here is the fromula i use... length X width x depth divided by 324...... comes up with total yards of mulch....

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
what the hell is that supposed to mean??!!!!

PerfectEarth
05-23-2008, 10:48 PM
MTNZONE- I must apologize. I counted some of your measurements as single beds, when you clearly listed three of them as TWO beds- OOPS! My fault.

You're about right on with your 3" estimate. At 2", you'd be at 13-14 yards for the job... As for the depth, I still think 3 is a lot! Maybe on a new install, but not on existing beds. But again, we can;t see the property. Again, Sorry for the mix-up!

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
So your saying that i only need 4 to 5 yards as the going price for a yard of mulch up here is 65 to 75 dollars installed....
No way.... 4 to 5 yards would equal 1/2 inch spread if that..measurements were done three times and are spot on..

I can't tell for sure without looking at it, I have to see it, but based
PURELY on square footage, I would probably do that for $300-340, total.
Fade resistant guaranteed, edged, and treated for weeds.

Unfortunately without seeing it there could be a variation in the price by as much as $60,
and that's assuming the measurements are correct.

payup

mtnzone
05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Thats what i tought... the mulch jobs in the past have been horrible to say the
he least..alot of sand in there now due to winter and hasnt been done in two years... looks like crap..

Those 5 yard bids (if they know what they are doing and not by a lucky guess) are for a 1 inch layer- which might not be crazy if the property has a decent history of mulching. But it sounds like it does not. The two bids are odd- the second one especially with the labor figure.

NINER
05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
3" Of Mulch Would Cost Close To $1500.00 From Me Not Including Travel,edgeing, Bed Clean-up And Pre-emergent. 16 To 17 Yards Is What I Came Up With.

ed2hess
05-23-2008, 11:44 PM
This is why most commericial companies bid stuff by the bag of mulch then there is no misunderstanding ........you put it down if they want more then fine. All mowing contracts include price per bag....usually $5. And each pallet has 66 bags and you haul two per trailer.

White Gardens
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM

Not exactly. From the rough estimates, 15- 20 yards would be correct. You are supposed to put down at least 3- 4.5 inches of mulch. Anything less and you don't get the decomposing/heat affect on existing weeds. Besides, mulch compresses at a 3 to 1 ratio, if it is high quality bark/hardwood mulch.

For the quotes from the other companies, bogus. If your going to do it, do it right. If you want to make some money at the job, then pump out more volume, not labor hours.

topsites
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
They have two other proposal from other companies but say it is mine if I want it.

This amuses me to no end when they say that.
Maybe one day I'll reply "nooo, it's yours if YOU want it!" :p

But, I usually just give them my quote.

This is the insane part.

That it is.

You nailed it.

mtnzone
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe down in texas but around here it is mostly in bulk. not by bag.

This is why most commericial companies bid stuff by the bag of mulch then there is no misunderstanding ........you put it down if they want more then fine. All mowing contracts include price per bag....usually $5. And each pallet has 66 bags and you haul two per trailer.

mtnzone
05-24-2008, 09:09 AM
thanks niner, topsite, and white gardens that is what I thought...I just find it incredbile that three companies can come in with three different thoughts. I think if your going to do it do it correctly.....