PDA

View Full Version : Boss??????????

Shaded Green
05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
What's up fellas? This is my first post, and it's going to be a long one.
I've been in the business for 11 years.
(Grass is my specialty, but I'm no slouch on cleanups, renovations, and basic maintenance) Name it, I've done it.

Anyway, my boss is a moron. Yeah, I know you've heard that before. Just listen.
This is my third season with this guy, (He pays me well, and although he's an older guy, I consider him a friend) He's a good guy but, he doesn't know #@*!

EX #1: I had to print an internet article stating that it's okay to trim
rhododendrons and azaleas because he emphatically stated otherwise.

EX #2: Thinks I take too long maintaining equipment so a new hire is now
doing it. Almost 3 months into the season and no decks have been
scraped, nor fittings greased. I blow the decks whenever possible, and
blades are being sharpened improperly.

EX #3: Charges $45 for a lawn 15 minutes out of the way, and raises the
price of two that are similar to the $45 one in time spent on the
lawn $50. Keep in mind these two are throwing distance from the
shop and grouped in with another in a cul-de-sac.

EX #4: Doesn't feel it's important to cross-cut (We still do 80% of the time.
The guys who do the cutting want to trace everything, but I'm trying
to break them)

EX #5: Doesn't comprehend that it takes longer to cut a lawn in April than it
does in August. He understands the basics, but doesn't want to grasp
the fact that it costs him more in labor.

All in all, since I've been working for him things have definitely changed for the better. He does value my opinion, but it's hard for him to cope with me telling him the proper way to do something. I've only given the most recent occurrences as examples, believe me there is much more.

I'm just looking for some examples of boss stupidity, whether past or present. I'd also gladly take advice from any experienced pros out there.

Ooomwizard
05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Be your own boss....

Frue
05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you should start your own! I think your boss is a genius for hiring you to do his work:hammerhead:

Shaded Green
05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh yeah...... This is hopefully only a job for me. I am also attending college and hope to either change professions, or become my own boss.

P.Services
05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
what kind of mower made those stipes in your pic?

MnDLawn
05-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you should start your own! I think your boss is a genius for hiring you to do his work:hammerhead: I agree, my guys have no idea what maintenance is.:hammerhead:

JB1
05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
This sounds like a typical, oh heck never mind I'm not gettin in this one.

TheKingOfLawns
05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Do it on your own. Even in college. Why not, keep more $$ for yourself.

Bagit
05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
what kind of mower made those stipes in your pic?

Come on Stripes for miles, tell us what made those stripes.... unless you took a pic of something else.:rolleyes:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Come on Stripes for miles, tell us what made those stripes.... unless you took a pic of something else.:rolleyes:

that pic is great what made them look so good?

ed2hess
05-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Funny that most people have low opinion of their bosses:confused:

Shaded Green
05-24-2008, 05:49 PM
2005 EX Mark Lazer Z with customized roller kit.

This picture was actually up for a magazine that was canceled. The roller kit can only be used on a completely flat and smooth yard. I welded a frame together and attached it with slide pins to make installation and removal easy. The rollers are 6" PVC filled with concrete and a piece of steel. The steel rod rotates in the frame which constantly needs grease. The unit weighs about 50 pounds. It sits in the shop most of the time. I would like to use it on some of our lawns, but we had an issue with a neighbor's jealousy and we decided it was a bad idea to do inconsistent work.

Shaded Green
05-24-2008, 06:03 PM
It seems that most, if not all, of you guys are owner/operators. Believe me, I respect and "really like" my boss. I get paid more than 95% of crew leaders in this area and my boss is a very good person. The rapport he has with his customers is something to behold. How many of your customers give you a kiss on the cheek when you see them? All of his do.

I have worked for 7 different companies and only 2 or 3 actually operated efficiently. But I've learned from all of them. I know someone out there has a stupid boss story to tell. Come on guys, Let's compare notes.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
05-24-2008, 07:47 PM
that is the trick , having a heavy roller is how most pro baseball teams make their fields look like they do ...they mow then go get the roller and roll on the stripes....