PDA

View Full Version : Hydrel parts?

irrig8r
05-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Need lenses and gaskets for some Hydrel 4518B-MR brass in-ground uplights. Looks like the part number is superseded by the newer #9310. Any good parts sources?

Also, need to replace at least one socket. The originals are rectangular, ceramic bi-pin Leviton made in Mexico.

Customer was messing with one that was broken (before he called me) and cut out the old socket. I noticed the socket connections in these seem to be "potted" in some kind of epoxy-like material. They're in turf. Do you think I should use a Mini-Ace to connect my socket leads?

One thing I like about the fixture is the socket is not screwed to the body, rather, there's a stainless steel bracket that holds the rim of the lamp in place with four tough prongs. How come no one else does it this way? The finned cast brass body is well thought out too.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Gregg: my distributor has a pretty good relationship with Hydrel and can probably help you get the parts you need. I would give him a call. John Higo at TC Lighting in Toronto. Private email me for the phone number or email address.

irrig8r
05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Also ran across a transformer I hadn't seen before at the same customer's. Been doing both lighting and irrigation maintenance and repairs on this property for years, but never anything but re-lamping on this one zone controlled by a wall switch in the house...

Anyway, the transformer is labeled GE 9T51B0108, and it looks like it's 500 W. Anyone else ever run into one? It's more than 10 years old but probably no more than 15 according to the client.

It's hardwired in, and way up at the ceiling in one corner of the garage.

My online research calls this a "Buck and Boost Indoor/ Outdoor Lighting" transformer. I'm more comfortable replacing it with a UL 1838 listed transformer. What would you do?

David Gretzmier
05-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Are you looking to replace the trans with a multi tap, or just wanting to know what trans you are dealing with?

irrig8r
05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
It's kind of awkward to get to, and has a lot of wires spilling out of it. I'm wondering where they all go.

Some of the Lumiere MR-16s on it are ground-mounted uplights, others are soffit and arbor mounted downlights.

I'm going to have to remove it and I am wondering what I'm getting into.

Thinking about doing an amperage reading on each of the current working runs. I'll have to anyway, just to balance the load.

I remember hearing about "buck and boost" transformers being bad news, but I don't know why.

I will replace it with either Nightscaping, FX or Vista, as those are brands I know first-hand and are readily available off the shelf here.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Gregg, I think the main detractor of Buck & Boost Transformers, be they Acme, Marcus, GE or others, is that they are a hardwired solution and as such require an EC to install. There is also some question as to their code suitability for use in a "landscape lighting" or "garden lighting" application. Definately make sure the secondary circuits are fused or otherwise protected.

Do some investigation, relamp, measure amp loads, volts out etc and then decide if you are going to replace it. If it is working fine, and the fixtures are all powered properly, then I would leave it be.

Remember, the last person who installs or adjusts it owns the responsibility for it.... this might be reason enough to remove and update the transformer.

Have a great day.

irrig8r
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Remember, the last person who installs or adjusts it owns the responsibility for it.... this might be reason enough to remove and update the transformer.

That was my thought too. They want it up and running for a party Saturday night so I have scheduled to replace it on Thur. morning to give myself time to work out the bugs.