PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for handling posion ivy

Stuttering Stan
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Any ideas on how to handle this stuff? I have bad reactions to it but it has to be pulled out of shrubery. Any ideas? I have tried a gloved hand but didn't work.

jrush
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Cover yourself good, I also go to walmart and keep Cortaid in the truck, so if I do touch it or think I have I put that stuff on. Seems to work good.

ken gustafson
05-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I have had more Poison Oak and Ivy than is common. I have tried everything anyone would even mention...including shots. The best...for me...hands down is the brand name...TECNU can be bought in most drug stores. As long as you do something about it within 4 hours of contact. If you forget to take care of that again Tecnu has a relief gel that sucks the poison out and has to be repeated every 10 hours or so. I have had spells that lasted as long as 4 months but since Tecnu.....absolutely no problems. Been in firewood business for 26 years and no matter how much I tried to avoid these poisons...they always seemed to find me. GREAT stuff......really great. Ken

wildbilly1113
05-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Old West Virginia mountain remedy,Eat some of the leaves and you will become immune! People think I am crazy when I eat some in front of them and no it will not hurt you. I have been poison ivy free for 30 years!

C&K
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Old West Virginia mountain remedy,Eat some of the leaves and you will become immune! People think I am crazy when I eat some in front of them and no it will not hurt you. I have been poison ivy free for 30 years!

I heard that too when I was younger. A friend of mine tried it and he got poison ivy on his face, hand, in his mouth and his throat.

I do not recommend trying that.

ALC-GregH
05-24-2008, 12:58 AM
I find that hard to believe. But if I did, I still wouldn't eat a leaf. ;)

C&K
05-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I get it every time I'm around it. One thing I have had success with is when you know you have been exposed or you start showing symptoms you can take a laundry detergent like tide (powder) and rub it on the skin while just wetting it enough to make it somewhat pasty. I think it's the grit that removes the oily/waxy poison that normal soaps won't remove. The ivy residue is what causes the itch and if you can remove it, no itch.

Happy Frog
05-24-2008, 01:39 AM

Not everyone react to poison ivy or oak while some are very sensitive to it and develop horrible rashes.

Telling someone to eat their leaves is irresponsible and borderline criminal. :angry:

Best way to handle these plants is to kill them first by spraying them and after they are dead (one or two weeks) remove them while wearing disposable painter's coverall, respiratory mask and gloves.
Put everything in a trash bag when you are done (do not burn it, the smoke can send you to the ER real quick). Put new disposable gloves to remove your clothes and wash them in hot water, trash the gloves afterward.

topsites
05-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Oh that stuff is too easy, it don't mess with me.

skeet
05-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Ken is correct about the TECNU..you can buy it at most drug stores and you can pour some in your rinse cycle when washing your clothes. Put TECNU on b/4 and after working in poison ivy. IT DOES WORK

cgaengineer
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM

This is not true I promise. This is by far the worse advice you could give anyone!

When I was younger I could hand pull, eat and wipe my butt with the stuff and no reaction. Now if I touch it I get it. Poison Ivy reactions come from repeated contact and and just because you dont react today you could tomorrow. Each person is different, for some people it may takes years to react but some react within a few hours. Dont take your chances or push your luck.

For those that have never reacted...just wait...you will see what all the fuss is about soon enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

metro36
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Here is my way,

Find an old plastic shopping bag with no holes
Put on a pair of disposable gloves
Put your hand in the bag and use it like a glove to pull out the ivy
When your hand is full turn the bag inside out and tie it shut

This method works great for a small patch but in a large area I put on my rubber boots with long pants tucked into the boots, a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves tucked into some long rubber gloves. I pull everything out and put in a garbage bag right away. When I get home I would take a shower and wash clothes with Technu. <This stuff works great.

cgaengineer
05-24-2008, 09:22 AM
This months Turf mag has an advertisement for some sort of Poison Ivy block (Cant remember the name). For those who come in contact and react terribly it may be a good thing to try.

cgaengineer
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh that stuff is too easy, it don't mess with me.

Read the Wiki article my friend.

k911lowe
05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
wow,eat the leaves,thats a rip.yeah gotta try that .NOT

greenbaylawns
05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Thought I heard it's more potent now from all the greenhouse gases or something. I don't know could have been hearing things.

Stuttering Stan
05-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Tencu (spelling) is the favorite remedy. Guess I will have to get some before next week

IN2MOWN
05-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Best advice is find someone else to do it.

I wont get near the stuff but have 2 friends that dont react to it. Whenever I need something done Ill call them and have them help me.

ken gustafson
05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Just so everyone knows.....quite a while back I was doing gold dredging and I went into a shop to get supplies. One of the owners of this shop was out back cleaning up his property and was in poison oak knee deep. When I came back for more supplies 10 days later...he was dead. Some one suggested he boil poison oak leaves in water then drink....you know build up immunity. I do not know how much he did but what happened is....the reaction inside his body was violent. Based on what I was told it appeared that his windpipe or throat swelled up and he suffocated ....to death. Do not know what really took place in his actually dying...but I do know he died...from drinking poison oak and water mix.
I would NEVER drink or eat poison oak or ivy. The brand name "Hylands" makes a pill that has very small amounts of poison oak or ivy in them. I have taken maybe 60 or 75 bottles of these pills over time like 10 years. I am not as prone to getting the poison oak anymore but when I do...straight to the Tecnu mainly because it.........works great. Ken

Bennett scape
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
it is strange when i was younger i got it all the time but now that i am older i am completely immune. how does that work. i can walk in fields of it and not even get an Itch.

laxative
05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Pick some, put it in a blender with water, then transfer to a spray bottle. Spray on toilet paper in public bathrooms.

ProStreetCamaro
05-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I wont touch it plain and simple. I make my father handle it because he is immune to it.

Happy Frog
05-24-2008, 12:43 PM
The reaction people have to poison oak and ivy is a type of allergy. Some will develop the allergic reaction over time after multiple contacts while others may react violently on first contact.
Think of it like the allergy to peanuts, it may take years to develop it but it can kill you in minutes once you get it.

Care Free LC
05-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I have always been very rreactive to poison ivy, oak, sumac... you name it i can break out and swell up faster than any one i know. whien I was younger I got the worst reaction from a fire that apparently had some in the wood that was burning. I awoke to find my face and head swollen to resemble a monster! Eyes swollen shut, throat nearly closed, and I tell you I was scaring all the nurses and doctors I saw that morning. I must have been dragged to half a dozen doctors offices and none knew what was wrong. Then I walked into Dr, Miller Dermatologist's office and the first words out of his mouth were "looks like you got into poison ivy!"
He told me to go home and make a skim milk compress to soak on it. I thought he was just another quack, but there were no more doctors that I could getinto that day, so I tried his concoction.
Basically you take some skim milk pout it in a bowl (glass or metal) and put it in the freezer until just the top starts to freeze. Then take a clean white cotton t-shirt and dip it into the milk and lay it on whatever area is affected by the demon plant. You want it to be as cold as you can handle it and as soon as the coldness is gone, remove it and treat all areas this way. This has been the only tried and true releif I get from the itching and swelling.
I do not know how or why, but it really works wonders to relieve the symptoms.
Now a days, I have a friend who works for a dermatologist and she will come over and shoot me full of steriods to make the reaction dry up quicker. But the skim milk helps out at night when you cant get releif from the itchy crotch issue!
Hope this helps, I cant be the only one who has used this!

skeet
05-24-2008, 01:21 PM
you can also catch poison by burning the leaves and or vines.

our neighbor had a small rat terrier (lap dog) that she let out in the mornings when the grass and leaves were still wet from the morning dew. the dog chased a rabbit back into the brush where the poison ivy grew. the oil from the leaves covered the dogs coat which spread to the lady...she ended up in the hospital.

nmurph
05-24-2008, 01:55 PM
if you get it rubbed on you, clean the area with alcohol. the chemical in poison ivy that causes the problem is oil based. most people will not have a reaction if they clean the area within a few minutes.
and to billy; that is the most assinine advise i think i have ever seen given on here. keep eating those leaves and eventually darwin may just pay you a visit. unless you are from WV, do not eat, drink, dip, snort, inject or smoke the leaves from poison ivy. you may not be allergic now, but that can change. my dad passed away at 86 and never had a problem with poison ivy. my brother is 10 years older than i am and we both know that repeated exposure can lead to reactions and we have tried to avoid exposure. neither of us had ever had a problem with poison ivy. that is until the other day. he got into some in the woods and had a reaction. not a severe one, but some itching and redness.
as to disposing of it, do not burn it. the urushiol can be inhaled and causes swelling of lung tissue. also be aware that the urushiol can remain potent on the dead plant for several years.

nmurph
05-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I have always been very rreactive to poison ivy, oak, sumac... you name it i can break out and swell up faster than any one i know. whien I was younger I got the worst reaction from a fire that apparently had some in the wood that was burning. I awoke to find my face and head swollen to resemble a monster! Eyes swollen shut, throat nearly closed, and I tell you I was scaring all the nurses and doctors I saw that morning. I must have been dragged to half a dozen doctors offices and none knew what was wrong. Then I walked into Dr, Miller Dermatologist's office and the first words out of his mouth were "looks like you got into poison ivy!"
He told me to go home and make a skim milk compress to soak on it. I thought he was just another quack, but there were no more doctors that I could getinto that day, so I tried his concoction.
Basically you take some skim milk pout it in a bowl (glass or metal) and put it in the freezer until just the top starts to freeze. Then take a clean white cotton t-shirt and dip it into the milk and lay it on whatever area is affected by the demon plant. You want it to be as cold as you can handle it and as soon as the coldness is gone, remove it and treat all areas this way. This has been the only tried and true releif I get from the itching and swelling.
I do not know how or why, but it really works wonders to relieve the symptoms.
Now a days, I have a friend who works for a dermatologist and she will come over and shoot me full of steriods to make the reaction dry up quicker. But the skim milk helps out at night when you cant get releif from the itchy crotch issue!
Hope this helps, I cant be the only one who has used this!

itchy crotch????????? TMI
i think it takes anti-fungal to get rid of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken gustafson
05-24-2008, 02:28 PM
The spores of poison ivy and oak maybe even sumac are much lighter than air. Almost every disturbance of these plants send the spores flying..literally. Everything the spores land on..are now alive with the oils of the poisons. Main reason for not burning the stuff...very hard for me to explain how alive the spores are when air born. Then when you breath or touch ....you have it ... gets into the blood stream and now you have to deal with it especially places where there is any amount of heat... Ken

nmurph
05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
i assume you mean pollen. spores are a product of lower order plants such as ferns and mosses.
the pollen of poison ivy does not contain urushiol. when you burn poison ivy the oil is not vaporized. rather it is carried on small particles of smoke and soot and finds its way into your lungs.

ken gustafson
05-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I would have to agree that the term or word "spores" is incorrect. It is the term the Doctor's used when treating me but I also my have used in a way they did not mean. Urushiol would be the correct term...just the same very nasty stuff. I believe something like 20 parts of urushiol will fit into 1 grain of salt and 1 part of urushiol is all it takes to get things on a serious roll. Sorry for the misunderstanding of technical terms but enjoy being corrected when I make a mistake...just want to make less of them. I wonder how you would cut a gain of salt into 20 pieces and could you see a single piece.......... Ken

David Haggerty
05-24-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.oralivy.com/

This is what works. When I started using it I threw away my TECNU and all the other remedies.

Poison Ivy rash is an alergic reaction that gets progressively worse. I was getting so that every spring I had to go to the doctor for cortizone shots and creams.

I used oral ivy 3 years or so. I'm immune now. More or less. I can mow thru it and not catch it.

It's what firemen etc. use. Read their web page. It works, everything else is crap, I've tried them all.

And it's the cheapest "remedy" out there. Around $15 for the whole season. Plus it actually works and nothing else does.

Sweet Tater
05-24-2008, 10:43 PM

My cousin ate some once and had to be rushed to the hopsital when his insides broke out and his lips. I would definitly not try this.

wildbilly1113
05-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Ok Guys, I made a mistake in suggesting anyone eat poison ivy. I do know everyones tolerances are different but I do know what has worked for me and many others. Before modern medicine all of our remedies came from Mother Earth. What goes around comes around and if the world keeps spiraling down we will go back to hunting,fishing,gardening and relying on mother earth like our Forefathers for our existence.Sorry if I offended anyone as I am far from perfect because I am human.

ken gustafson
05-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I reread the posts....did not know so many things worked for poison oak...etc. but would not ever eat or drink the stuff. Tecnu has worked time after time after many times for me. So I am well aware that for me...it works great not good but great. Better to assume that you have been in the poisons and treat it right...than to assume you have not and pay and pay for about 2 weeks. And I am saying this because I cut LOTS of firewood. Until I was informed of Tecnu I was covered with poison stuff up to 4 months a year either looking for gold or cutting firewood.........Ken

Happy Frog
05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.oralivy.com/

This is what works. When I started using it I threw away my TECNU and all the other remedies.

Poison Ivy rash is an alergic reaction that gets progressively worse. I was getting so that every spring I had to go to the doctor for cortizone shots and creams.

I used oral ivy 3 years or so. I'm immune now. More or less. I can mow thru it and not catch it.

It's what firemen etc. use. Read their web page. It works, everything else is crap, I've tried them all.

And it's the cheapest "remedy" out there. Around $15 for the whole season. Plus it actually works and nothing else does.

This is a Homeopathic product, if you do not know what it means, do a search before trusting this product.
All "medical references" are from the 50's...
Did someone just say "Snake Oil"? :laugh:

David Haggerty
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
This is a Homeopathic product, if you do not know what it means, do a search before trusting this product.
All "medical references" are from the 50's...
Did someone just say "Snake Oil"? :laugh:

I am very reluctant to endorse a homeopathic product. But this one works.

It's a liquor made from the ivy plant. And it's not easy to take nor is it a quick fix. I think it's 3 drops in water every day thru the season. 10 drops if you have a rash.

Though I'd highly recommend reading and following the directions on the packaging. I've heard of a person dying from taking Oral Ivy. He'd ordered two vials and simply chugged them both on the first day.

Oral Ivy is for someone who is serious about a poison ivy cure. Like I was. I thought I was going to have to quit the business. I had systemic poisoning. I could get a dot on my finger and break out all around my waist. I must have had 15 cortizone shots and they're not good for you.

I found Oral Ivy and OHMYGOD! it works! Railroad workers, loggers etc. knew about it for years.
I'm just trying to pass it along in the lawncare business.

Like I said it can be a PITA to administer the cure. But if someone really needs it it's worth it.

TPnTX
05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
I've always used tecnu. It works okay if you catch it early. Helps a lot if you already have it.

I'll try oral ivy. I got a bunch of it around here.

Paradise Landscapes
05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
After contact, Wash your hands wih bleach. If your hands itch, wash your hands in bleach but, it may burn and it will get rid of it.

cgaengineer
05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Ok Guys, I made a mistake in suggesting anyone eat poison ivy. I do know everyones tolerances are different but I do know what has worked for me and many others. Before modern medicine all of our remedies came from Mother Earth. What goes around comes around and if the world keeps spiraling down we will go back to hunting,fishing,gardening and relying on mother earth like our Forefathers for our existence.Sorry if I offended anyone as I am far from perfect because I am human.

The thing is you may be fine to drink a solution today, but next year you may do it and die...why take that chance for something so ridiculous?

james mcdonald
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
There is a product called "Ivy Block." It is a lotion that you apply to the skin before going out into the poison ivy. In addition to exposed skin, I also use Ivy Block under portions of my clothes like arms and stomach area. I used this product for the last 8 years and have not had a rash from poison ivy during that time. Before I used the stuff, I had a lot of problems with poison ivy.

skeet
05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I have a bottle of ivy block in front of me.

go to .... www.enviroderm.com

TwinTurbo
05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I developed a systemic reaction once that required steriods to clear up. I have always been allergic but this put me over the top. Now, if I so much as brush up against clothing that has been in contact with PI, I will get a rash.

I found a product some years back that really does what it says. It works so well, I will recommend it to anyone. It's called Zanfel and is carried at many drugstores. When I first heard about it, I had to drive 50 miles to the closest store that had it. Was I glad I did. Anyway, here's a link to their product page- http://www.zanfel.com/help/productfaq.html