PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Q regarding trailering a mower....

Liquidfast
05-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Dumb Q I know but a bet needs to be settled.

If a person pulls a ztr in a 6x12 (I believe) single axle trailer, is it better to pull it with the ztr in the front of the trailer (close to the ball) or the rear of the trailer (close to the exit)?

Okey dokey

ProStreetCamaro
05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Dumb Q I know but a bet needs to be settled.

If a person pulls a ztr in a 6x12 (I believe) single axle trailer, is it better to pull it with the ztr in the front of the trailer (close to the ball) or the rear of the trailer (close to the exit)?

Okey dokey

The best spot for a single ztr would be in the center slightly forward to put a little weight on the tongue.

topsites
05-24-2008, 04:40 AM
You really need to study your trailer as you load this beast, watch how it tilts and so drive it forward a bit you need to put just a little weight on the tongue... There always needs to be weight on the tongue but too much isn't good, so until you're familiar with trailer loading techniques I would suggest when driving off take it nice and slow and watch that trailer for fishtailing!
Oh yeah don't forget to keep eyes on the road, but spot that thing in your rear views several times over as you head on.
Now if it does that fishtailing on you, just stay calm and pull over and re-adjust your weight.

The best spot for a single ztr would be in the center slightly forward to put a little weight on the tongue.

Right, slightly forward of the axle on the weight relation...
I think it's supposed to be 60% forward 40% rear, or 55-45, something like that just basically a little more weight on the tongue, what you do NOT want is the opposite which would be more weight behind the axle (this is what causes fishtailing).
So the tongue has to push down a little on the ball, if it's pulling UP in the front that is bad.

Now not to scare you but... Once a trailer starts to swerving the best thing to do is just let off the gas, don't slam on the brakes but you might have to apply brakes if it gets worse but just slow down right away and get off the road you need to re-adjust or fix this! And hopefully it don't come to that, I've never had this happen but I'm dang careful, because I have seen this once that POS starts it can get worse and fast (and the absolute worst is if it takes your truck with it), so nice and slow, easy does it.

Yes, a trailer loaded can, when fishtailing, jack your truck sideways too, it has enough weight and momentum to do it.
So study the trailer as you're loading it, doing that should help and likely pay off.
Once you got it down it's not so bad.

newtostone
05-24-2008, 04:46 AM
I would never load a ztr towards the rear of a trailer. Without anything in front of it, what will happen is as you go around corners or even make emergency turns the trailer will sway uncontrollably and pull the truck. The safest way to load it is more so towards the front of the trailer but yet with the majority of weight on the axle.

ResidentialOwner
05-24-2008, 05:35 AM
In Texas a 1/2 Ton Dodge van pulling a dual axle trailer loaded with concrete blocks all in the rear of the trailer with some wood up front. I followed him out of a 84Lumber supply onto a 65-70mph hwy, that trailer started to fishtail and just pushed that van around and pile drove him into the bank on the side of the hwy. "I learned a lesson from your mistake" I told him as we picked his load off the road.

Yerkz
05-24-2008, 06:35 AM
There are no dumb questions when it comes to safety.

Horsepower Lawns
05-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Right, slightly forward of the axle on the weight relation...
I think it's supposed to be 60% forward 40% rear

Now not to scare you but... Once a trailer starts to swerving the best thing to do is just let off the gas, don't slam on the brakes but you might have to apply brakes if it gets worse but just slow down right away and get off the road you need to re-adjust or fix this!

^
60% - 40% is right.

If the trailer has brakes and starts fishtailing keep on the gas and hit the brake control to stop it. Then fix the load.

& strap it down.

tnpete
05-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I load my Ferris Z2000 IS on a 6x12 Single axle trailer some days. And I drive it forward and watch the hitch. When it move up. I know I need to go forward more. And when it sets back down. And you see the truck move just a bit. Its on the trailer where it pulls great.
Most of the weight is over the axle.
Pete

KrayzKajun
05-24-2008, 07:54 PM
There are no dumb questions when it comes to safety.

tht is correct!! Better to ask for advice , then risk hurting you or someone else:hammerhead:

Liquidfast
05-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I loaded it in the rear (closer to the exit) and I found the ride HORRIBLE. When I trailer it towards the tongue, the ride is far better.

TOPSITES, I swear, I need a shot of Drambuie when I read your posts LOL. They are compelling, riveting and have me on the edge of my seat. You should write scripts!

Frue
05-25-2008, 08:03 AM
always the weight in the front. better be safe then sorry