PDA

View Full Version : How much seed for football field?

Luke Kindle
05-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Going to bid a new football field. How much seed do u think it will take to get it started. Should I consider Hydroseeding?

packey
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I take it you will be putting in the foot ball field. I see you have asked about both seed and drainage. Who is doing the build up for the field, is it going to have and irrigation system in it. If a football field is set right with a crown down the center then your field will drain to both sidelines. I am a big fan of hidden french drains that can have sod grown right over the top of them. As far as grass if it was a brand new field I would try to talk them into a sod intsall. If not see if you can get your hands on a good slit seeder and seed bluegrass at the rate of 5lbs to 1000 sq foot. I would use something like a 20-10-5 fertilizer mixture and water in well. Make sure the field has a propper crown for drainage

Athletic field
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Ya I would go at least 5lb/1000 for k. blue. At least here in PA. I would also suggest going 100% k. Blue, or no more than 10% P. Rye in the mix and make sure it's certified seed. Look on NTEP for varities that suit your area.