PDA

View Full Version : How big is your operation?

MATTHEW
12-20-2001, 09:57 PM
Just curious. Many of us started out solo. Some stayed so, some grew a little, some a lot. Are you satisfied with your present size? Do you have any regrets?

maacla
12-20-2001, 10:58 PM
I gave a poll vote for solo, but then again I really don't have a lawn care business. I simply have to mow my own yard and I've noticed that the wife and son must be too busy to get on the other mower to help. Oh well, I just bought an Exmark and they better not ask to give me a hand this year. No Way!

LAWNGODFATHER
12-21-2001, 03:50 AM
I wont vote in the poll, but I will tell you this, my only regret is that I didn't live life while pursuing growth.

I didn't do much becides lawn care for the last 7 years of doing this as a full time LCO. But before that I had a little help from when I was 17. Solo before that.

David Haggerty
12-21-2001, 08:03 AM
Still solo. Have been since the '80s
Even when I had 2 trucks, we'd all go to the same job at the same time. I'm back to one truck and I'm making more money.
Getting good labor has always been a problem here. But that may be due to the short season of only about 26 weeks for non fertilized lawns.
Dave

fivestarlawnken
12-21-2001, 11:49 PM
I will say 99 percent of the time i'm solo,and i like it!!!!!In all honesty,I feel that I'm happy staying solo and not growing too big for my britches.I only know 1 person I would trust with my equip.,Iwould have a heartattack if I saw my equip treated like i see with other guys.

scagman
12-22-2001, 01:58 AM
This was my first season mowin yards 18 years old I had my best friend working for probably half the summer I dont really like working solo It gets very boring hopefully this up coming season i will be able to hire a guy full time as for hiring my friend that was sort of a favor he needed the cash and was willing to work hard at first then it turned bad you all know about hiring friends and family its good at first then turns bad i think its mostly that their jealous they wanna know how much this lawn is and how much im making and why their not making half cause they do half the work I told him to get a truck and a mower and told him i wouldnt be needing him anymore

odin
12-22-2001, 02:11 AM
I put 2-5 employees, but we really dont have employees its me and my three brothers and we plan to stay that way for the forseeable future.
We are all partners altough dad helped some this summer.
No more help from dad next year though the tough old scotsman had a heartattack on the 15th.

a1 lawncare
12-22-2001, 10:50 AM
i voted 2-5 because my wife helps me when she can, and i have a 16 yr old nephew that need some responsibilty and some mad money, i had a guy "helping" me one season this clown stole biz and tried to start his own operation and did very shoddy work i have since replaced those accounts, he did them 1.5 years and the people were calling me back and telling me how this guy was ripping them off and doing shoddy work, never on time, one customer told me he wanted a draw on redoing a bed, oh well ya'll know the routine, i heard he's painting houses now, if this guys got beer, dope, and cig. money he's happy, what a life..

have a merry christmas and a happy new year, keith

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-22-2001, 11:20 AM
Solo and love it. Been there and done that with 3 employees. Felt like I was the babysitter!!! My Toro WB is waiting for me every morning, never late, ready to go and never has a hangover!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

eslawns
12-22-2001, 08:30 PM
Solo and staying that way. Where I used to work, I had 13 people under me. I worked there over 2 years, and I can't remember a week where somebody there didn't take some time off.

My wife and kids help out when I get behind, and can handle everything if something happens to me. I wouldn't mind having a FT helper, it just seems that people don't want to work.

plow kid
12-22-2001, 08:49 PM
2 people part time all the time

V.H. lass
12-30-2001, 09:33 PM
Singl solo;

I have several guys who said they want to help out but, when I call on them they are not able to work. The best help I have is the wife.

landscaper3
12-30-2001, 10:41 PM
We have 7-9 employees peak season and 5-6 winter season. Its getting harder and harder to find GOOD workers (Most of the younger help hired are just lazy and take NO-PRIDE in there work, so been offering higher pay and looking for employees now that like to work! Found some and are gonna hang on to em!) It took a while to figure which new workers are real workers and those in for the paycheck! For you guys running solo saves alot of headaches staying solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walker-talker
12-31-2001, 12:01 AM
landscaper3, I have heard that from other local LCO's. They use to have employees, but went back to solo. They said same money, less headaches. But will have to learn for myself. I currently manage 40 people at my 40hr week job so I know all about the headaches, to some point (constantly babysitting). I think if I saw someone abusing my personal equipment, I would lose it.

MATT

lawncare
12-31-2001, 04:51 PM
I got 6 well 4 helpers now other two went back home got tired of working by myself. waiting on my son to grow a little more he's 10 kinda small few more feet and itll be me and him then hel'l buy his own snekers.

MATTHEW
12-31-2001, 04:55 PM
The headache factor. That's why I stay solo as well.
I have less headaches now than when I worked for a lawncare co. I honor my customers requests (which are few, but basically I answer to no one and I KNOW that each job was done right and the phone will not be ringing when I get home.:p

bob
12-31-2001, 07:13 PM
I voted 2-5, I've got too much help to be solo .