PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be Sheep.

coolluv
05-24-2008, 08:46 AM
I have read post after post about trucks,mowers,trimmers,blowers,etc. and it never ceases to amaze me how some people are just brand loyal when it comes to stuff. You will read a post about trucks and somebody will say don't buy Chevy they suck Ford rules man. You will read a post about mowers and someone will say Exmark is the best and Hustler suck, you get the point.

Most of the opinions are not even based on fact. Well my daddy drove a Ford and his daddy drove a Ford and his daddy's daddy drove a Ford so Ford is the best truck their is. Have they looked at facts? No. Have they driven and compared and researched other similar products? No.

Advertising company's base their advertising on a 8th grade education level and use pro sports figures and singers and race car drivers to push their stuff. If Tony Stewart uses an Exmark or a Gravely does that make it the best? If Willie Nelson uses a Bad Boy to mow his mansion does that make it the best?

No it doesn't make it the best, but the sheep out there think it does. As a society are we that stupid? I guess we are because companies are paying millions of dollars every year to everyones hero's to plug their products. Do you think they would do that if it wasn't working?

Some guys will buy a product whether it be a mower or trimmer or truck and just because they own it,its the best. You could prove to them that something is better but no, they own it so it must be the best. Call it pride or ignorance but they don't want to admit that maybe they should have done some or more research before they bought that product and they can't admit to themselves that they screwed up.

Are we a society of fools? We must be because the politicians have been having their way with this country for so long and we just sit back and say oh well what can we do, they screwed us again, as we go on about our lives. Back in the Roman days they called it bread and circus's. Give the masses free bread and give them something to watch (the Coliseum and Gladiators) and we can do whatever the hell we want to. In other words keep the sheep preoccupied with other things to keep them from paying attention to what was really happening.

Today its Nascar,Football,Baseball,and lets not forget American Idol. Most people know more about how many wins Tony Stewart has at each race track or how many touchdowns their favorite player has but don't give a dam about making themselves smarter. If they put that much effort into knowing what was really going on and educating themselves we wouldn't have $4.00 a gal gasoline.

Its not a Republican or Democrat thing either, Both have been screwing us. We sit back and let the media tell us how we should think,what we should buy and who we should vote for. Wake up people and look around you. Look at the post to this forum, What mower should I get? What trimmer should I get.

Hey I don't have time to research and make an educated decision on my own because I have to get back to watching American Idol. But hey you know Willie Nelson uses a Bad Boy so I'll just go with that. Instead of taking the time to do the research and looking at my market and the types of lawns I will be using it on. If its good enough for a guy like Willie Nelson then its good enough for a sheep like me.

Just a side note. The examples used are just that examples. So don't come on here and say I'm bad mouthing Tony Stewart or Bad Boy Mowers. Those are just examples nothing else.

Don't be sheep people. Do your own research and use that head before you come on here and ask everyone what type of mower you should buy. I know its takes time and you have to read for hours and its going to take your time away from American Idol but you will be much happier with your educated decision. I could go on but I'll get off the soap box now.

Dave...

lawnman_scott
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Good post. Just curious how gas would be cheaper if I didnt know that Tony Stewart has never won at Datona? You are right though, in a way. people dont do research when buying. But once you find something is research needed every time you buy? I own exmark and stihl. Its all I plan to buy for the forseeable future. Not because some celebraty claims to use it (like they do their own lawn), because I have had great experiences with them, know how to fix them with my eyes closed, know where I can get parts to do so, and like the way they perform.

You could tell me all day about the great jumbo force bullet proof mumbojumbo deck that Grasshopper just came out with and I would buy exmark. I know what I am getting that way. Which leads to research. What kind? A poll on lawnsite is the worst kind. If somewhere there is a area with 17 toro, 23 echo, 1 stihl, and 1 exmark dealers should that person take advise from me on what to buy? Another is the famous "small ztr threads". Read one sometime. Everyone will tell you what a waste of time and money they are............. except the people who own one. We will all tell you how great they are, all of us. But, for some reason people asking will listen to all the bad things that the people who never even used one will tell them.

meets1
05-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Awesome post man. I would like to think that I am pro-active when choices like this are made in my business. In the big picture though - your exactly right!

k911lowe
05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
i always buy what i think is best and cost effective.i have never given a rats ass about commercials and i don't even like willie nelson.i do not think many people in this business subscribe to your sheep theory.they buy what is cost effective. a business is like a baby.when it crys for something you have to satisfy it.

jkilov
05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
people are just brand loyal when it comes to stuff.

Not me. I don't back up any manufacturer these days as business excellence seesed to exist. Each one has its ups and downs but they all throw out lemons from time to time.

Don't be sheep people.

No kidding:jester:

Did'nt catch what you meant with Stewart and Nelson as I did'nt read all of it.

jsf343
05-24-2008, 09:54 AM
i always buy what i think is best and cost effective.i have never given a rats ass about commercials and i don't even like willie nelson.i do not think many people in this business subscribe to your sheep theory.they buy what is cost effective. a business is like a baby.when it crys for something you have to satisfy it.

I agree. Not only cost effective, but what has worked best for them. I have used equipment with Honda engines, why? because they are dependable, cost effective and they work. Same can be said about my other equipment, I will use what works best for me,and stays working. If that makes me a sheep then all I can say is Baaaaaa. :laugh:

meets1
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think he is saying your all sheep cuz you run used equipment or new for that matter. I think it is about getting caught up in the worldly movements - being a follower - not a leader. I am sure most on this site are good leaders/business men, etc but I also think that most on here on a sole or have a crew of 4-10 people working and out of that number how many are full time. Were not fortune 500 companies. Were struggling to stay afloat with gas prices, downturn in economy. I try to step to the plate everyday swinging - some days aren't as good as others. It wears a person down.

The whole thing about used equipment, new equipment, JD, toro, scag, chevy or ford is a comparison I beleive to bring his point across. It is also gets discussion going among us professionals in the lawn care/landscape business.

JB1
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Sheep Stink !

lawnboy dan
05-24-2008, 10:10 PM
i have no brand loyality in my biz-i use the best machine for the job.

topsites
05-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Brand loyalty also exists for intelligent reasons.

For example another machine MIGHT be better but I've used mine for
so many years that lets just say WHEN that POS breaks
down then chances are I know exactly what the problem is.
I might even be able to fix it in minutes flat, but when there exists a
problem with a beast I am not familiar with it could be HOURS.

And that's just one of many good reasons why I am brand loyal.

CFB
05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
With all due respect, If I have no first hand experience with something and am looking at buying one...research only goes so far. I would rather ask and find out from 30 users of the product what they think of it, than just buying based on research. I think by far the majority here have done their research of products they are considering before they post about it.

create_username
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I have read post after post about trucks,mowers,trimmers,blowers,etc. and it never ceases to amaze me how some people are just brand loyal when it comes to stuff. You will read a post about trucks and somebody will say don't buy Chevy they suck Ford rules man. You will read a post about mowers and someone will say Exmark is the best and Hustler suck, you get the point.

Most of the opinions are not even based on fact. Well my daddy drove a Ford and his daddy drove a Ford and his daddy's daddy drove a Ford so Ford is the best truck their is. Have they looked at facts? No. Have they driven and compared and researched other similar products? No.

Advertising company's base their advertising on a 8th grade education level and use pro sports figures and singers and race car drivers to push their stuff. If Tony Stewart uses an Exmark or a Gravely does that make it the best? If Willie Nelson uses a Bad Boy to mow his mansion does that make it the best?

No it doesn't make it the best, but the sheep out there think it does. As a society are we that stupid? I guess we are because companies are paying millions of dollars every year to everyones hero's to plug their products. Do you think they would do that if it wasn't working?

Some guys will buy a product whether it be a mower or trimmer or truck and just because they own it,its the best. You could prove to them that something is better but no, they own it so it must be the best. Call it pride or ignorance but they don't want to admit that maybe they should have done some or more research before they bought that product and they can't admit to themselves that they screwed up.

Are we a society of fools? We must be because the politicians have been having their way with this country for so long and we just sit back and say oh well what can we do, they screwed us again, as we go on about our lives. Back in the Roman days they called it bread and circus's. Give the masses free bread and give them something to watch (the Coliseum and Gladiators) and we can do whatever the hell we want to. In other words keep the sheep preoccupied with other things to keep them from paying attention to what was really happening.

Today its Nascar,Football,Baseball,and lets not forget American Idol. Most people know more about how many wins Tony Stewart has at each race track or how many touchdowns their favorite player has but don't give a dam about making themselves smarter. If they put that much effort into knowing what was really going on and educating themselves we wouldn't have $4.00 a gal gasoline.

Its not a Republican or Democrat thing either, Both have been screwing us. We sit back and let the media tell us how we should think,what we should buy and who we should vote for. Wake up people and look around you. Look at the post to this forum, What mower should I get? What trimmer should I get.

Hey I don't have time to research and make an educated decision on my own because I have to get back to watching American Idol. But hey you know Willie Nelson uses a Bad Boy so I'll just go with that. Instead of taking the time to do the research and looking at my market and the types of lawns I will be using it on. If its good enough for a guy like Willie Nelson then its good enough for a sheep like me.

Just a side note. The examples used are just that examples. So don't come on here and say I'm bad mouthing Tony Stewart or Bad Boy Mowers. Those are just examples nothing else.

Don't be sheep people. Do your own research and use that head before you come on here and ask everyone what type of mower you should buy. I know its takes time and you have to read for hours and its going to take your time away from American Idol but you will be much happier with your educated decision. I could go on but I'll get off the soap box now.

Dave...

Amen!!!!!!!!! Great post.:clapping:

ProStreetCamaro
05-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I have to admit I have become VERY brand loyal over the years. We have used multiple brand ZTR's and walk behinds over the years yet we always come back to gravely mowers.

Why you might ask? Well it is because of all the mowers we have ever owned the gravely mowers have always cut the best and have always proven to be the most durable mowers we have ever owned. We have finaly realised that and most likely every new mower purchase from now on will be gravely

Same goes for our vehicals. We have owned MANY ford trucks over the years and every single one of them have been a major headach. 3 of them in a row lost oil pressure right at the 60K mark and needed new engines. One was a 302, and 2 of them were the inline 300 6 cylinder. All of the V8 ones we have owned have all lacked power. They could just barely move out of there own way. A couple of them also had major brake issues and our current 2002 Expedition has electrical problems. My uncles 2006 F-250 diesel has been in and out of the shop over 15 times with brake problems, injector problams and a few other things. The list just goes on and on.

Now our GM vehicals have been the complete opposite. Very minimal issues, great power and long lasting. Needless to say ford has left such a bad taste in our mouth we will now only purchase GM trucks and cars.

What I am getting at is sometimes people DO have good reasons to be brand loyal.

J&R Landscaping
05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I have to admit I have become VERY brand loyal over the years. We have used multiple brand ZTR's and walk behinds over the years yet we always come back to gravely mowers.

Why you might ask? Well it is because of all the mowers we have ever owned the gravely mowers have always cut the best and have always proven to be the most durable mowers we have ever owned. We have finaly realised that and most likely every new mower purchase from now on will be gravely

Same goes for our vehicals. We have owned MANY ford trucks over the years and every single one of them have been a major headach. 3 of them in a row lost oil pressure right at the 60K mark and needed new engines. One was a 302, and 2 of them were the inline 300 6 cylinder. All of the V8 ones we have owned have all lacked power. They could just barely move out of there own way. A couple of them also had major brake issues and our current 2002 Expedition has electrical problems. My uncles 2006 F-250 diesel has been in and out of the shop over 15 times with brake problems, injector problams and a few other things. The list just goes on and on.

Now our GM vehicals have been the complete opposite. Very minimal issues, great power and long lasting. Needless to say ford has left such a bad taste in our mouth we will now only purchase GM trucks and cars.

What I am getting at is sometimes people DO have good reasons to be brand loyal.

Good post, If your having good luck and it aint broken theres no need to fix it!

Topsites also brings up a good point.

nosparkplugs
05-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Could have not said it better myself, listen to = all the BS on Lawnsite you might be mulching at 29mph, and driving a single axle tralier with a gasoline truck. filling it up more, just because everyone else is doing it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Interesting and good post....
In a broader sense, you are correct, the US has SO many sheep for citizens these days. Just do whatever the media/boob tube tells you feels good.

I will definitely think about bandwagon posts the next time I am tempted to post them in the future for one particular product or another.

schunklawn
05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
i have dixie chopper in the line up, scag, husquvarna, stihl, toro, honda engines, kawasaki engies, kohler....etc. most all of my equipment has been purchased because of dealer selection and service and also price in certain situations. lol this is a funny and may be a touchy topic for some people that are very loyal to one particular brand, but i am living proof that all of the above brands/engines listed above have done nothing but serve me very well...i haven't had any problems with any of my equipment and i run the sht out of my stuff...great post but in my opinion brand names are for donkeys not sheep....heee haawwww

Az Gardener
05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Ditto to the great post comments. Now if everyone can spend the same effort researching the people they intend to vote for and participating in the process we might get off of first base as a nation.

Frue
05-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Dave...

I am sorry I feel this post sucks. First off you act as if you are the only educated man who really understands how life is played out. Second brand loyalty is false look at the exmark debakle can anyone say triton. Hustler ferris and many other brands grew because of this mess. There is your brand loyalty.

Now here is where you can redeem yourself what should we do? See You would also go to washington with great intentions to realize that when an oil guy gives 800,000 dollars to your bunk foundation you will vote his way.

I think watching american Idol gives people a break from this ugly situation we are in. Would rather see sucide rates up. You almot feel hopeless concerning what is going on.

If you understand that there are people who want to see the United States Bankrupt you then will only start to understand what is really behind these terrible things. try the federal reserve the privately held bank that prints and loans the untited states money they are the true ones that control these things. Now knowing that they have the power to make and break the very things we are complaining about.

Do some research and find out why Woodrow Wilson said on his death bed I have sold my country out. Then get back to me and talk to me about brand loyalty and 4.00 a gallon. :walking:

Frue
05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

corey4671
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Just curious how gas would be cheaper if I didnt know that Tony Stewart has never won at Datona?

umm..sorry to burst your bubble, but Tony has multiple wins at Daytona. He's won the 400 miler in July twice, the Bud Shootout three times I think and the Nationwide series season opener three times. Never won the 500. baaaaaaaaaaaaa

coolluv
05-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Having brand loyalty is not the problem as long as you are getting what you pay for and it is a good product. Having brand loyalty with Ford after all the issues you have had with them just because daddy owned one and his daddy owned one... you get the point. People will tend to overlook problems and down play them just because that's all they owned and used and will defend them to the end. I'm not saying you did that or you are doing that. I'm just using your comment as an example.

You have switched over to Chevy and are having good luck with them and that is great. I would have done the same thing. You look at all the other competitors,do your home work and make an educated and informed decision. Nothing wrong with that. Now had you moved over to Chevy because Dale Earnhart Jr. drives a Chevy and if its good enough for him then it must be good enough for me. Well... If your trucks needed to be updated and you purchased all new GM trucks in the future (say 10 years from now) and everyone you had gave you problems,you would switch to a different brand right. Maybe even go back to a Ford if they came out with better trucks then GM. I know I would. But their are people that would never own a Ford,and their are people that would never own a Chevy.

Why?? Is it because they are no good or is it brand loyalty. If its just because you are loyal to a certain brand, then that is foolish. I choose what suits my needs at the time,and what is the best value for my money. Chevy may be what is best now,but Ford may be what is best later. The only thing thing I'm loyal too is George Washington.:laugh:

Dave...

topsites
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I do admit I am a bit red concerning certain brands :p
See I like yellow, and orange, and black and even white is all right, too...
Then some folks like green and blue, and other colors still, why you just never know why this is so.

coolluv
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=lawnman_scott;2338359]Good post. Just curious how gas would be cheaper if I didnt know that Tony Stewart has never won at Datona?

The point was people care more about football,baseball and Nascar then they do about what the politicians are doing. If we held their feet to the fire and they drilled for oil and built more refineries 20 years ago, gas wouldn't be $4.00 gal right now.

Dave....

Bennett scape
05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I do as much research as i can and have been for a long time. I deeply look into products before i buy them. After all stuff is stupidly expensive However if i find a product that best suits my needs, i tend to be loyal to that brand but am not opposed to trying others.

Bennett scape
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
also I HATE REALITY TV, reality sucks royal ass. So why would i want to watch it on the tube i watch TV for fantasy stories not this reality sh%^.

naturescape
05-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Very good post.

Have you ever heard the line, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."? I love that line, it sums up most advertising very well. And why some televisions shows, television in general, movies, and bands do as well as they do.

Now, I do post logos my favorite companies here often. (As of now, Exmark and Tanaka.) However, those decisions were based on using/demoing almost every mower out there, and most brands of handheld equipment also.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Have you ever heard the line, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."?

This is a ridiculously unpatriotic and offensive statement. I can't believe what I'm reading. You're obviously a liberal. :hammerhead:

Turf Commando
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Stihl, Ferris, Ford I'm set for life........

Mickhippy
05-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Cooluv,
Funny, I thought this site was a tool for research, among other things! You do have to filter out the BL (brand loyalty) but there are many people on here that tell it the way it is, in there opinion!

Why are you even flockin here?

Dean of Green
05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
This thread is not too baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddd.:waving:

lawnman_scott
05-26-2008, 08:56 PM
umm..sorry to burst your bubble, but Tony has multiple wins at Daytona. He's won the 400 miler in July twice, the Bud Shootout three times I think and the Nationwide series season opener three times. Never won the 500. baaaaaaaaaaaaaI was talking points races, and not Busch races either. But I was wrong, forgot about the wins he had. So I guess gas should be cheaper now.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I was talking points races, and not Busch races either. But I was wrong, forgot about the wins he had. So I guess gas should be cheaper now.

if ONLY it were that simple....baaaaaaa

coolluv
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
It really is funny reading some of the responses to this thread. I will leave you with this.

Its better to be quiet and thought to be the fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.:laugh:

Dave...

F.S Lawn Care
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I love seeing people who think they have to buy everything brand new, color coordinating with the biggest and most expensive whatever just to look "professional." The first thing I did with my trailer was put a couple of 2x4's bolted on my trailer with U bolts to make trimmer racks. Cost almost nothing, while trimmer racks outrageous. If you have the money and would like to invest down the road, ok. But I cant stand the look I get sometimes from "professionals." Ya my trimmer racks are made of 2x4's and the choke on my god knows how old toro 36 has a bungie chord to hold it at max rpm's but whatever im workin all day and not wasting money on pointless stuff just tolook like every other company.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
It really is funny reading some of the responses to this thread. I will leave you with this.

Its better to be quiet and thought to be the fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.:laugh:

Dave...

now Dave, if we all followed that advice then there would BE no lawnsite now woul there? :laugh:

naturescape
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
This is a ridiculously unpatriotic and offensive statement. I can't believe what I'm reading. You're obviously a liberal. :hammerhead:

VERY. But the statement is true no matter how you look at it.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
VERY. But the statement is true no matter how you look at it.

Why do you liberals hate the American people? You group them into what you refer to as the "masses" and they're all a bunch of sheep in your mind. You rob from those who manage to get ahead and give it to those sitting on their behinds (the welfare system). You blame the oil companies for high gas prices when it's actually YOU and your EPA that is to blame, keeping us from drilling on our own soil and building refineries. You people are disgusting and you make me sick. :hammerhead:

corey4671
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Why do you liberals hate the American people? You group them into what you refer to as the "masses" and they're all a bunch of sheep in your mind. You rob from those who manage to get ahead and give it to those sitting on their behinds (the welfare system). You blame the oil companies for high gas prices when it's actually YOU and your EPA that is to blame, keeping us from drilling on our own soil and building refineries. You people are disgusting and you make me sick. :hammerhead:

first I'll say AMEN brother..now I'll say..oh boy..here we go again

naturescape
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM

I'll let your statement speak for itself, so silly not even worthy of an answer.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll let your statement speak for itself, so silly not even worthy of an answer.

silly? um no. spot on actually.

BryceBentleyLCS
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Amen!!! Liberals make me sick!!! I don't understand they can protest American soldiers and what they are fighting for, it just makes me SICK!!!!!:usflag: HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!:usflag::usflag:

BryceBentleyLCS
05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I just had to post this pic for our friends in this post! :usflag:

naturescape
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Who's protesting American soldiers?? You guys need to chill out.

My original post, which AGREED with the subject of this thread, was the quotation, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." There is an awful lot of truth there, period. That doesn't mean that every American is that damn dumb. Does this really need to be pointed out?? Or maybe you are all proving the statement?

And Happy Memorial Day to all of you as well.

tb8100
05-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Amen!!! Liberals make me sick!!! I don't understand they can protest American soldiers and what they are fighting for, it just makes me SICK!!!!!:usflag: HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!:usflag::usflag:

Happy Memorial Day to you too brother! :usflag:

tb8100
05-27-2008, 12:52 AM
I just had to post this pic for our friends in this post! :usflag:

LOL ! :laugh::laugh::usflag:

TomberLawn
05-27-2008, 01:31 AM
It's scary how uninformed and "sheepish" the population is. I was watching a focus group survey on FoxNews after one of the primaries. The host asked a bunch of Obama supporters to name something that John McCain had done in his lifetime or some accomplishment. Everybody could think of something. The host asked the same people to name one thing Obama had done and they were all clueless, but they had just voted for him.

Republicans and Democrats both have greatly let us down. Minor issues have been slowing building until they all come to a head and it takes drastic measures to do anything about them. There are very few leaders in government. The ones who do have the wisdom to change things are crowed out by lobbyists and the status quo.

About the researching products vs. asking on Lawnsite, I think a combination of both is great. Look on your own at what options are locally available and see which ones meet your needs. Narrow down your search and ask for some experienced advice from owners/users of the same product before buying it. There are way too many posts that simply say "I want a zero turn. What should I get?"

coolluv
05-27-2008, 06:10 AM
[/QUOTE]About the researching products vs. asking on Lawnsite, I think a combination of both is great. Look on your own at what options are locally available and see which ones meet your needs. Narrow down your search and ask for some experienced advice from owners/users of the same product before buying it. There are way too many posts that simply say "I want a zero turn. What should I get?"[/QUOTE]

Having a place to come to like this to exchange ideas and ask others about equipment choices is a great resource to have. I enjoy coming here and learning and sometimes laughing at what others have to say. Its not a research vs asking on Lawnsite thing. The problem is just what you said,[Quote] There are way too many posts that simply say "I want a zero turn. What should I get?" They want you to do the research for them.

Dave...