PDA

View Full Version : Walkbehind questions

doubleedge
05-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Do fixed deck walkbehinds (around 36") scalp much?
How much would it cost for a 36" hydro with a fixed deck?
How well do the side baggers work?

Thanks for any input.

F3Nelson
05-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes it will scalp, learn where you're mower scalps, and just push down on the handles, then trim it

doubleedge
05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Will it scalp much worse than a floating deck walkbehind?

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I have a floating deck hydro at 36". It scalps like everything else. (don't jump on me for such an all-encompassing statement). With a deck this small, I haven't really noticed an advantage to floating over fixed. I do have a side bagger, they work great. On a floating deck, if the grass is real heavy it will load down one side of the deck.

KCfireman
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
they do scalp but only on uneven land. Walkbehinds are good for steep hillsides. I suggest and Encore. They have in my opinion the best cut in the industry for walkbehinds. They also lay down the best stripe.

doubleedge
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
No encore dealers around me, unfortunately.

metro36
05-24-2008, 08:39 PM
My fixed deck lesco works great. I mow uneven ground and I have never had a scalping problem. The side bagger works great for grass and ok for leaves. I think the cost around 5 grand.

dura to the max
05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
on a 36" you wont tell much of a difference (except in cost) between a fixed deck or a floater. my 36" was a belt drive and worked great, we only used the mower in the occasional backyard. if it's going to be used daily get the hydro though. the bagger attachment works fine.

what dealers do you have around? exmark, scag, toro, and gravely all make great machines. find a a good dealer that sells one of these and you'll be doing good. dealer support is crucial. they can matter more than the mower.

Tharrell
05-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I've got 32, 36, 48 and 52 walkbehinds. All are fixed deck and they all can scalp but rarely does it happen. Scalping is operator error. Tony

lostmdboy
05-25-2008, 08:31 AM
:hammerhead:I have a 48" Cub cadet, and never had a problem. Well untill the custimer decides they want it maowed way too short so that it will last two weeks.

Roger
05-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a 36" fixed deck hydro (Exmark Viking) walk-behind, and a 48" floating deck ZTR (JD 717A). The floating deck will scalp more easily than the fixed one. It is wider.

I doubt a floating deck for a 36" deck is any better with regard to scalping. On this sized mower, the width is not the problem dimension, rather the front-to-back dimension. I find scalping to happen more easily in the front-to-back direction, than across the width of the machine.

If I was to replace my w/b with another 36" deck, I would buy a fixed deck.

CFB
05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a fixed 48 and floating 52. The floating deck scalps much worse unless the rollers are so low that they often catch turf and tear up grass on uneven ground. There is only one thing I like about floating and that is it is a snap to change height while keep the same deck pitch. That is my main prob with fixed.

BanvilleLawnCare
05-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I do not think that a floating deck 36'' walkbehind will scalp any less than a 36'' walkbehind with a fixed deck. However, many people still buy 36'' floaters because the height of cut can be adjusted much more quickly than on a fixed deck. If you rarely adjust the height of your deck, save your money and buy a fixed deck. If you find yourself changing cut heights often, get the floating deck and save yourself the hassle of changing the cut height on a fixed deck. But whatever you do, get a hydro!

ajeaajea
05-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a toro 40" gear drive fixed deck and i rarely get any scalping. I use it almost everyday and it gives me no problem