PDA

View Full Version : Posting signs after mowing

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Does anybody post a sign, say by the mailbox every week after they cut? I'm trying to think of ways to target my company's growth. This seems like it would push advertising in the subdivisions I'm already in primarily. I'm interested to see if anyone does it an how successful it is (if it's even calculable). I will use them when doing larger one time type jobs. Just curious. Thanks

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
bump......

J&J Customs
05-24-2008, 02:06 PM
ive personally really started thinking about doing that but the sign printing cost is pretty high around here so im not sure if i want to take that hit or not.. about what size sign are you thinking about?

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 02:59 PM
5X5 or 6X6. Just lawns flags. The type used by applicators.

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Ive thought about doing the same thing. I know a lot of the big businesses do it, for example in my area, Earl's Plumbing is a very big business and everytime they do a job they have a yard sign out. You know, the size of the election types with the reg metal frame that you stomp into the ground. But like mentioned, they are expensive to get done, you just have to shop around on the internet and get you the best deal, a good site its buildasign.com.

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm mostly thinking about little lawn flags, 5"x5". I would use larger ones when landscaping and larger jobs. I'm thinking about using these little flags for mowing. So when someone drives by and sees a nice lawn, they know who did it.

KrayzKajun
05-24-2008, 03:35 PM
also tells your competition which house to stop at and lowball! lOL

MileHigh
05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
I got 100 signs made for $300 bucks...

I post them where I want more biz.

Lazer_Z
05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm mostly thinking about little lawn flags, 5"x5". I would use larger ones when landscaping and larger jobs. I'm thinking about using these little flags for mowing. So when someone drives by and sees a nice lawn, they know who did it. Percision, I like your Idea, but I don't think the little 5" X 5" flags will help get you noticed. I agree that the ones with the big metal frame are some $$$, but what about the ones with the thin wire frame? I know a few people have posted theirs here at one time or another. Look into the ones like I mentioned with the wire frame, I'm thinking of doing the same as I just picked up a customer on a decently traveled road.

Good luck!

bill8379
05-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, they will probably think you are fertilizing and anyways, I can't see any customers being too happy about having a sign on their lawn for any length of time.

I do like having big/Huge decals on my truck.

Precision Lawns
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
the only problem is that your truck is only parked out in front for a brief of a time as possible to make the most profit.

J&J Customs
05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah im liking the 5"x5" maybe just get a couple like 5 or 10 and place them on the more traveled roads you mow on and see how that goes and then decide if you want to get 100's of them but id play around with the 5 or 10 like leave one in a yard for a week then move it to another yard and then next week maybe another... plus makes you look like you have more business and saves money too

Lazer_Z
05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
To those wanting 5" X 5" signs, how are people driving buy one of your lawns going to get all of your info? I'm looking out my window at campaign signs, they look to be 4' X 4' counting the frame. That is the type that is commonly used to advertise your business. Fert & squirt company's use the little 5" X 5" flag signs.

deanslists
05-24-2008, 06:05 PM
The only problem though is you need to make sure that the lawn always looks great as long as that sign is posted in that yard. There is one of those signs posted in a yard around the corner from my house and the yard looks like crap! Not good advertising there.:hammerhead:

topsites
05-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Sometimes I have to stand those Realtor signs back up lol

Shaded Green
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
The only problem though is you need to make sure that the lawn always looks great as long as that sign is posted in that yard. There is one of those signs posted in a yard around the corner from my house and the yard looks like crap! Not good advertising there.:hammerhead:

The lawns that look good enough to do this on would have to be owned by someone who is willing to have their lawn cut every 3 days. Besides, I'm thinking that if I saw that sign my attention would immediately be drawn to the actual landscape of the property, not the lawn.

I don't think this is a good idea.

Liquidfast
05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I got 100 signs made for $300 bucks...

I post them where I want more biz.

My friend is in this biz and when I opened his garage yesterday, I found 6 companies lawn signs. He admits to taking them down when he sees them. On Thursday, a homeowner came out and pulled one off his corner lot property.

I have found lawn signs DO NOT WORK. They work for lowballers IMO. What I have found to work extremely well and attract a higher end customer is to offer "select" lawns that I do FREE fertilizing in exchange for a sign (5x8) on their lawn. I received 6 new customers from this in a 2 week period.

Again, in my opinion, and I may get blasted for this is to keep an eye on the poor work of other companies in your area....especially if your area is saturated with LCO's like mine is.

Pay a teenager to go to these doors and hand deliver your companies info. Manicure the hell out of the property you do in the area and mention it in your literature that the kid delivers.

Two weeks ago, I went from one house to three on the same street.....all estates and all for more than they were paying previously.

I tried to post my 5x8 sign and couldnt figure it out but it goes like this:

FERTILIZING

418 986-XXXX

THATS IT! And it works well.

Im tired.

ALC-GregH
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I just came from a old ladies house I mow at. She insists that I said I'd do all the extra work (pruning, hedging and trimming of bushes) for the price I gave her to just mow trim and blow. I thought to my self, maybe if I where to ask her if I could put a sign in her yard I would go ahead and do most of the work. When I asked her about having a sign in her yard, she said NO sir you can't. If I let one person, I'll have to let them all. I asked her, who is them all? but she didn't have a answer. So now that I can't put a sign in her lawn I'm not going to do all the work for free.

So, after talking to her about it not once, not twice but for the third time that I did not tell her I'd do all the work she's wanting done but I'd do what she wanted the first day we talked which was to pull up some maple tree seedlings growing from a bush on the side of the house. I agreed to pull them up at no additional charge that day, so I did it no problem. Now things are starting to get over grown and need trimmed back and cleaned up but she keeps falling back to the same story, "you said you'd do the extras for that price" she then said to start trimming over there. I told her I can't do all that work AND mow the lawn for the same price. I'm stuck on this one. I don't know what I should do. I don't want to loose the account as I have very few right now. I was really hoping she'd let me have a sign in her lawn being it's a corner lot.
I didn't have a sign agreement with her so I'm thinking I should write one up with a detailed list of what will be done for what price and state that anything other then what is stated in the agreement will be an additional charge.

mississippiturf
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
As the economy gets tighter and tighter, it seems like we're seeing more and more of this kind of crap coming from our customers. So far, I've been lucky, but next year all lawn maintenance will be by contract.

As far as the lawn signs, they are very good for business growth. I probably have picked up five or six customers this year from having a 3' X 4' sign in my own yard! Tell the lady, No sign, no extra work for free.!!

ALC-GregH
08-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I did that and she kept wanting to close the door right after she'd say "start over on the side first OK" and would start pushing the door closed. I told her I can't do it for free. She wants me to NOT mow one week and do some of the hedging that would cover the price she's paying, then mow it the next week and not trim hedges. I told her if I do it that way, I'll have to charge more every other week for the extra time it will take to mow taller grass and the added fuel it will use plus wear and tear having to cut taller grass. She still thinks I'm going to do it that way for the same price. I told her to call EVERYONE in the phone book and ask for a price to mow and trim whats needed on her property weekly, then ask them what it will cost to have all the bushes and other stuff trimmed back and hedges trimmed, plus the weeds growing out of them removed, you'll find out quick that I'm already mowing for the going rate or less and that doesn't include the extras. She said she had to use the bathroom and again said to start over there then closed the door so I got in my truck and drove off.

rnd
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Go to RNDSIGNS.COM. See hundreds of posting sign ideas used for promoting by companies from all over the U.S. Full color. Very inexpensive. 6x6 inch signs work best.