PDA

View Full Version : Velocity deck!

TandM
05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Well today I cut 4 different lawns. The first one I came too was a part time house and the sprinkler had just came on The st.augustine was 6inchs tall I cut it down to 3 1/2. It was so wet. I looked at the underside of the deck after I was through. I had about a quarter of an inch of build up on the very front of the deck! I went to the next yard and it was very thick too I was bagging it. 5 inches tall st.augustine. A few areas were not as thick. I looked under the deck and nothing! other than the build up by the spindle which was there from day one. it stays there. I went to the next one which was thin st.augustine and once again no build up. I then went to a new property which had new sod from like a month ago. It was like 7 inches tall! I was side discharging. The tiger cub ate this for breakfeast It was so smooth the first time so I didn't even have to double cut which I never have to It is always one pass and your through. I looked under the deck And NO BUILDUP!!!!! Sorry I just love this mower so much and recomend it to anyone who is looking in to a new mower.

Turf Dawg
05-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I will agree with you on one thing, the cut is great. I demod several mowers and I have to say the cut on the Scag was probably the best. But having said that, I had to buy a Hustler because the ride on the Turf Tiger killed me. They are well built and machanies though. Demo as many as you can before you buy.

TandM
05-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I already own it. I do not mow a whole lot of fields. Mainly just residentials so it is not to bouncy for me. I demoed a tt with a suspension seat and what a difference.

ALC-GregH
05-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I picked up my baby today. :)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Dscn2639.jpg
Thought I'd test her out some with the striper on the back.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2612.jpg
A few of the finished product after one pass! :)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2628.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2622.jpg

ALC-GregH
05-24-2008, 08:03 PM
That was at 3", the stripes are not as bold with a lower cut.... I'm going to go to 3 1/4 next cut and see how it looks, maybe even 3.5".... I'll take some more pics again to compare.

The seat is dialed. Much more then I thought. I do wish it would recline though. I'm a slouching kinda person. LOL

johnnybravo8802
05-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I just bought a TT 61" and it's mowing everything I do beautifully-fescue, bermuda, centipede, etc. I traded a new Triton and there's no comparison-the Triton was missing more than it was cutting. It was a 46" and didn't even do as good of a job on the small stuff-I was shocked, considering it was my third Exmark.:confused:

ALC-GregH
05-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I measured the pitch on the deck. It's at 0 and I'd like to get it to 1/8 and try it. Question is, how do you change the pitch? The deck is level side to side, well, front to back for that matter but I'm looking at it wondering how to change just the pitch....
I also checked the true cutting height and it was off by 1/4 inch. I can change and set that at the single rod on the foot pad.
Anyone know how to chnge the pitch that could point it out for me? thanks

Mike Blevins
05-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I picked up my baby today. :)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Dscn2639.jpg
Thought I'd test her out some with the striper on the back.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2612.jpg
A few of the finished product after one pass! :)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2628.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2622.jpg

And people say the velocity deck don't cut as good as others. Yeah Right! Those pics are nice! That why I use Scag mowers. "Simply the Best" hands down. That second pic is priceless, awsome cut, awsome stripes, awsome mower. Finally some good pics of Scag quality.

ALC-GregH
05-24-2008, 10:33 PM
thanks for the compliment. I have a few other good properties I cut
that should yield some nice results. I'll post pics of them next week.
I had to have my Scag hat on for the photo shoot. :) :cool2:

btw, I figured out the deck pitch adjustments. :clapping: I'll see if it's any better tomorrow.
Or should I say, see if it "can get" any better tomorrow. :)

DillonsLawnCare
05-24-2008, 11:36 PM
i need a scag for all the thick grass i cut. that velocity deck is wide and open, to where it can discharge that stuff and have less build up. i wish my scag dealer was better..........im stuck with this ZTR..

johnnybravo8802
05-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I'll think about you when I'm mowing Dillon's:laugh::laugh::laugh:I'll say, "This one is for Dillon's!!!":laugh::laugh::laugh:

tacoma200
05-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey Mike Blevins, ALC-GregH, could you give us a review of the Scag Striper? How easy was it to install? How easy is it to take off and put back on? Does it give you any problems turning, backing into something, or loading on the trailer? It is quite expensive and I couldn't use it on many properties but I haven't heard enough information from those that have used them. I did catch a couple of post where new owners tore them up after a short time (probably due to inattention). If it was easy to take off on my rougher properties I might give it a look.

ALC-GregH
05-25-2008, 07:31 AM
The kit is easy to install. Once the bracket is in place, it takes maybe 30 second
to attach or remove. I found out fast that it will drag going onto the trailer so I'll be taking it off after I'm done properties that I'll be striping. It's not hard at all to install. It uses 2 of those quick release roll pins with the ring on it. Can't remember what their called. I haven't used it enough to know if it will be "in the way" while mowing. It also hangs low enough that when locked in the "up" position, it still within 2 inches from touching the ground. It does a great job as you can see.

macaw
05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
This is the second year with my Tiger Cub. I use Meg-Mow blades and I don't
worry about wet grass or how tall it is anymore. The velocity deck is the best I
have ever used. I don't have a stripping kit but it seems to strip just fine on its own.

DillonsLawnCare
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I'll think about you when I'm mowing Dillon's:laugh::laugh::laugh:I'll say, "This one is for Dillon's!!!":laugh::laugh::laugh:

thanks johnny!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::cool2::laugh::usflag::clapping::drinkup::waving:

Mike Blevins
05-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Mike Blevins, ALC-GregH, could you give us a review of the Scag Striper? How easy was it to install? How easy is it to take off and put back on? Does it give you any problems turning, backing into something, or loading on the trailer? It is quite expensive and I couldn't use it on many properties but I haven't heard enough information from those that have used them. I did catch a couple of post where new owners tore them up after a short time (probably due to inattention). If it was easy to take off on my rougher properties I might give it a look.

Hey Tecoma, I have nothing but great things to say about the stripe kit on my Tiger. Like it was said just two cotter pins and its off. Maybe 20 seconds if your slow. As far as tearing it up, it has been on my Tiger since I bought it and has been down in the stripe position the whole time. Its pretty tough i guess because I go over alot of curbs with it when I mow my townhouse accounts. It actually keeps the ass end of my tiger from scraping on my trailer when loading and unloading. As far as problems turning,backing into things, I have never had any problems whatsover. It stays out of the way and does an excellent job all the way around. I highly recommend one as it has taken my lawns to the next level. I can take my wife into neighborhoods that I mow and she can pick out the yards because of the stripes. Like I said if I can remember I will get some pics this week. When you have a customer ask you "why is my yard two different colors" thats a pretty good indication of how much more defined the stripe kit makes the striping. Scags stripe great without a kit but with one its a whole new ballgame.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a wildcat with a velocity and the cut is great with it also.....far as deck height Ive had 3 and they are all off by 1/4 inch.....on 3.5 its cutting 3 1/4

wayne

tacoma200
05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Tecoma, I have nothing but great things to say about the stripe kit on my Tiger. Like it was said just two cotter pins and its off. Maybe 20 seconds if your slow. As far as tearing it up, it has been on my Tiger since I bought it and has been down in the stripe position the whole time. Its pretty tough i guess because I go over alot of curbs with it when I mow my townhouse accounts. It actually keeps the ass end of my tiger from scraping on my trailer when loading and unloading. As far as problems turning,backing into things, I have never had any problems whatsover. It stays out of the way and does an excellent job all the way around. I highly recommend one as it has taken my lawns to the next level. I can take my wife into neighborhoods that I mow and she can pick out the yards because of the stripes. Like I said if I can remember I will get some pics this week. When you have a customer ask you "why is my yard two different colors" thats a pretty good indication of how much more defined the stripe kit makes the striping. Scags stripe great without a kit but with one its a whole new ballgame.

Off subject a bit but my Scag would drag the back end going onto the 16" trailer sometimes. Especially with the Exmark in front making the ramp steeper. I ended up raising the ball on the hitch so the ramp is not as steep. The Exmark had no trouble but Scag Turf Tigers are long and the rear end extends further. I think this is why the Scag gets better traction but you don't want to cross a steep ditch unless you go at an angle. The Tiger is just not as compact as the Lazer or Hustler.

ALC-GregH
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I noticed the 61" deck has scalped a few places while mowing. For some reason I thought the Velocity Plus deck came with anti-scalping rollers on the rear outside edge of the deck. It has 3 locations on the front and only the center twin rollers on the back. I'm kinda stuck here with it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from scalping? There's room for a roller in the back corners, wonder why they don't have them? I thought it was like the Advantage deck with anti-scalping rollers at all 4 corners.
Should I lower the front corner rollers to help stop this? I would think doing so will cause the wheel to tear into the grass more when turning. Also, a Turf Tiger was sitting in the showroom at the dealer and it has them in the back corners and it's the same Velocity Plus deck I have minus the rollers.

johnnybravo8802
05-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey GregH-My 61" velocity has rollers on each back corner. I have a feeling that maybe they forgot to install yours when they put it together. They installed my ROPS backwards and I had to turn it around. Just a thought.

ALC-GregH
05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
when I say no rollers, I mean, not a welded bracket or pre-drilled hole or anything. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what the deal is. I can't have a mower that will scalp every time I mow with it. It has happened every time I've mowed. I have the cut height set at 3 1/4. It's not the size of the property, it's just small humps in the lawn or small dips in the lawn and it will cut lower leaving a cut line. I think rollers in the back corners will stop this from happening. If you draw a line from the front corner roller to the back roller on the same side, about half the blade is open to scalp if you ride over un-even terrain. With a wheel there, it would stop the deck from dropping down as much.

tacoma200
05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
when I say no rollers, I mean, not a welded bracket or pre-drilled hole or anything. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what the deal is. I can't have a mower that will scalp every time I mow with it. It has happened every time I've mowed. I have the cut height set at 3 1/4. It's not the size of the property, it's just small humps in the lawn or small dips in the lawn and it will cut lower leaving a cut line. I think rollers in the back corners will stop this from happening. If you draw a line from the front corner roller to the back roller on the same side, about half the blade is open to scalp if you ride over un-even terrain. With a wheel there, it would stop the deck from dropping down as much.

They are standard on the Turf Tiger but I think you have a cub. No big problem, a bracket will have to be welded to the deck in order to install the anti-scalp rollers. For some reason different Velocity decks are not the same for all models. For example the WB's we found out did not come with a turbo baffle. This can be fixed . I am in the habit of lifting the deck with the foot assist when going over humps with all my ZTR's though. I'm not sure about this but they probably didn't include them with he cub.

ed2hess
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM

The Tiger Cub 61" I have has two big rollers on the back side and they are welded on the deck......so a little manufacturing defect:confused:

P.Services
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
does any one know of an adaptor that can make the bagger blower from a advantage deck work on a velocity?? i dont think they make one but have had two people say they do??

tacoma200
05-27-2008, 10:14 PM
The Tiger Cub 61" I have has two big rollers on the back side and they are welded on the deck......so a little manufacturing defect:confused:

I have 4 on the back of my Tiger Velocity deck. Two wide ones in the middle and two smaller ones on the corners. I think he is not happy about the fact that he has no small ones on the rear corners if I understand correctly. I'm guessing they are not standard on the cub Velocity deck but I'm only guessing.

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
yes, thats correct. Wonder if the TT Velocity deck will fit the Cub? I'll be talking with the dealer tomorrow about it.

mag360
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM
The scalp wheels on the rear corners definitely don't come on the cub. There is no room for them because the deck is pushed up tight against the rear wheels. This is a better design anyway, though, since it will achieve less scalping in general. Before you get too frustrated with the machine try out some others on the same property. I would expect to get similar results from any midmount machine if you were to mow without working the deck lift to eliminate scalping and gouging.

Good luck with your scag.

tacoma200
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
The scalp wheels on the rear corners definitely don't come on the cub. There is no room for them because the deck is pushed up tight against the rear wheels.

Good luck with your scag.

Well I just learned something. I figured it was something like that. I would just learn to deal with the humps, I don't consider it a design flaw on the cub.

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I realize it's very close in the back of the deck but on the 61 there's plenty of room for a scalp wheel. If I have to, I'll cut plates drill and weld my own on there.

mag360
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Well I just learned something. I figured it was something like that. I would just learn to deal with the humps, I don't consider it a design flaw on the cub.

I was pretty surprised when the dealer here showed me the 25/61---I was very happy to see a nice, compact machine and am thinking of scooping up one of the blowout 23/61's now.