PDA

View Full Version : JD z850a

CAT MAN
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Ive heard bad things on the smaller ones just wondering if they have the same probs with the 850??

Captain cut-some-grass
05-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Brandon, Dont know about the 850 but my dad just got an 820a it has 47hrs and the eye bolt on the rear of the deck broke off yesterday.He has 5 JD ZTR's and 2 convetionals and they all suck!!! I will tell you like I tell him JUST CAUSE THEIR GREEN DONT MAKE'em GOOD. JD does'nt even make those mowers they contract them out and put green paint on them. GET A FERRIS AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAK DOWNS!!!
P.S. JD weed eaters and saw used to be yellow home-a-lites

lawnspecialties
05-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Brandon, Dont know about the 850 but my dad just got an 820a it has 47hrs and the eye bolt on the rear of the deck broke off yesterday.He has 5 JD ZTR's and 2 convetionals and they all suck!!! I will tell you like I tell him JUST CAUSE THEIR GREEN DONT MAKE'em GOOD. JD does'nt even make those mowers they contract them out and put green paint on them. GET A FERRIS AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAK DOWNS!!!

OK, I agree with Capt. for the most part. But they actually make them near here in Fuquay-Varina at the Deere plant.

As for the 850, I'm not sure but it seems like they have some first year issues with these models. I demoed an 820 and took it back after one hour. I also have a friend who bought an 820 and he never uses it. He always has his old 737 with him. I never really ask him why. I just feel too bad for him to push the issue.:confused:

Unless you're a "die hard" Deere man, I'd go with something else proven or get one of the 700 series machines.

Mike Blevins
05-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I got to use a John deere 830a 27 kaw. today. My neighbor was demoing so I mowed my yard with it. I have used the 757 25 in the past that he has and liked it better. Cut was good but it wouldn't hold my hill like my tiger. I believe he was told $11000.00 was the price? I'll have to ask him again to make sure.Turning the mower on a small incline was a challenge as it would spin very easily when trying to backup. (Broke traction) I was on this machine for around 30 minutes just mowing around my yard and some of his. I will just say that the Deere owners can have the Deeres and I will keep my Scag. My neighbor is a Deere fan but said he used two tanks of gas in it yesterday mowing! He said that he liked the way it cut but the fuel usage was horrible on the 27. He is taking it back Tuesday and going to get the dealer to try to find him another 757.

DLCS
05-24-2008, 10:44 PM

John Deere does build their own ztrs, in North Carolina. I have two 757s and a 647a and not had any trouble with them. Both 757s have close to 2000 hrs on them. I just bought a 850a in the spring and I have 100 hrs on it. No major problems yet. The power issue doesn't apply to the 850a. All machines can break down. Evidentely your father must liek JD seeing how he has 5 ztrs.

Albemarle Lawn
05-25-2008, 12:08 AM
And 4 transmission belts
And steering damper
And 3 deck belts
And broken deck lift
And deck casters that fell off

All in under 100 hours of use on my z830a.

Bottom of the barrell crud. I bought it because of good experiences with other John Deere stuff.

Really wish I could undo this mistake.

CAT MAN
05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
thanks guys