PDA

View Full Version : Experienced irrigatin installer needs some help

Aquaman!!!!
05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Hello people, I'm not a newby to irrigation by any means, but i am new to the business aspect. I'm working for a new company that wants me to start up an irrigation division for them. Even though i said im very experienced, im sure there are still may things i can learn. I worked for a company where i was a foreman for the irrigation installation division. I was handed a design with everything laid out for me, all i had to do was put it in. The installation is the easy part to me, but the new aspect is the design and bidding. I am trying to find out what certifications i should be looking into as well as books?, schooling? things of this nature to further my knowledge in bidding and design. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be most helpful.

Dirty Water
05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
First thing you need to do is move to texas.

Then you'll be fine :)

No, In all seriousness, take a look over at www.irrigationtutorials.com and read his articles on pipe sizing, and flow rates.

You have install technique down, so now you just need to learn how to properly lay out and size pipe to the available water flow.

Dirt Boy
05-24-2008, 09:22 PM
:clapping:
Go back and look at some of the old layouts/installs you did, start asking yourself questions:
Why did they put the heads the way they did, line size's, head spacing, nozzle sizes, heads per run, why you ran the pipe the way you did (minimize the runs, crossing over other runs, etc. etc.)
Depending on how you left the last company, perhaps, you could talk with the person that did the pricing on some of the ones you did.
Screw up a few times, and your boss will educate you as well;)

Good Luck

Aquaman!!!!
05-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advise, Ive just been getting into pipe sizing and friction loss. And i think im pretty good with my head layout with over lapping and such. Do any of you guys have your CIC, CID, OR CLIA certifictions, and if so could tell me how you studied for those exams and what books you studied from???

Aquaman!!!!
05-25-2008, 09:50 AM
P.S.
thanks for that website!

jimmyburg
05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
come to texas we'll learn ya

Kiril
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
The most important thing to remember -> design makes up 90% of any irrigation system.

Aquaman!!!!
05-25-2008, 11:39 AM
i havent been back to texas since i moved, born in houston....ive been northernized though, hahaha

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
You don't even come back for the Fire Ant Festival?

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 05:27 PM
The most important thing to remember -> design makes up 90% of any irrigation system.

I have taken hundreds of "designs" apart and re-designed "on the fly".
If you follow someone else's design, you're as guilty as the "designer".

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
No irrigation, Kiril.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-25-2008, 05:43 PM
First thing you need to do is move to texas.

Then you'll be fine :)

No, In all seriousness, take a look over at www.irrigationtutorials.com and read his articles on pipe sizing, and flow rates.

You have install technique down, so now you just need to learn how to properly lay out and size pipe to the available water flow.

Good advice Preacher Dirty Water. Moving to Texas I mean.

WalkGood
05-25-2008, 05:59 PM
No irrigation, Kiril.

But isn't that watered by the Ultimate Master Irrigator in the sky?

:: .....and the angels wept, and the grass and flowers received water. And it was good. ::

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Good advice Preacher Dirty Water. Moving to Texas I mean.

Jon misses the biz, maybe you Texans could take him on as a apprentice;
he's about ROTAR's age. :dizzy:

Kiril
05-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I have taken hundreds of "designs" apart and re-designed "on the fly".
If you follow someone else's design, you're as guilty as the "designer".

And your statement is contrary to what I stated how?

Kiril
05-25-2008, 06:36 PM
No irrigation, Kiril.

Nice. Why do you guys need irrigation up there anyhow? Don't you get enough rain. :cry:

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 06:45 PM
And your statement is contrary to what I stated how?

Not contrary, but use your common sense: LA's are notorious for 15'
spacing in plantings. How about this one?

AI Inc
05-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Pic recycling?

Mike Leary
05-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Pic recycling?

Better than none. :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Better than none. :rolleyes:there's always badgers

Dirty Water
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
there's always badgers

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2391/2057773794_a51f5efa02_o.jpg

They are selling plush badger toys now. Just what every service truck needs.

Mike Leary
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
They are selling plush badger toys now. Just what every service truck needs.

Do they sing the song when you squeeze them?