PDA

View Full Version : john deere 2 cycle

awm
12-21-2001, 08:23 AM
has anyone had a chance to use the new john deere produts,
trimmers etc, enough to make an evaluation.thanks and later

Grass_Slayer
12-21-2001, 11:07 AM
i was wondering about those myself. i need another trimmer for light use and i want a stick edger too. i was thinking about getting one of those convertible models. they seem like a better buy than all that stuff combined.

walker-talker
12-21-2001, 11:59 AM
How new are you talking about? I have been using a JD stick edger for the last 2 seasons. I have had no problems with it, but I think if I was to do it over again, I would get a different brand. I don't think that the JD will hold up much longer.

Grass_Slayer
12-21-2001, 01:20 PM
i was thinking about the ones that the ends can be switched out on. it would save me money to buy those attachments instead of buying each one of the pieces of equip.

walker-talker
12-21-2001, 06:13 PM
That is what I started with, but it was not JD brand. It was a, not sure on the spelling, Mareaume, something like that. I would take the money you are going to spend on the attachment and buy another (edger/trimmer). It is an inconvience to swap attachments and unproductive, should someone be helping you.

MATT

GLS
12-21-2001, 06:51 PM
Matt:It is an inconvience to swap attachments
Although I prefer solid shaft, rather than split, I don't think it is that inconvient...All you have to do is loosen a knob, and press a button, then slide on the attatchment.

Never used JD 2-cycle, but if you want to save a few bucks, go with the quick-tatch or whatever it's called.

If you have enough money, go with separate tools.

Grass_Slayer
12-21-2001, 08:06 PM
well my employee uses my kawi trimmer while i ride the ztr. i just wanted another one for bigger jobs that he is not done when i am. and i can afford to buy a push edger with a three horse 4 stroke but i still need another trimmer. and i can always use a little pruning saw and a little tiller to turn over peoples flower beds. i still havent decided though.

MWS LAWN
12-22-2001, 01:08 AM
I don't know about the JD trimmers other than just holding one in the dealership, seemed a little heavy though. We use Still FS 85's they have preformed great, and we put them to the test every week, especially in the Cemetery we cut. Proberly over 3000 sites to weedeat around. Makes for a very good nights sleep. Also use Still backpack blowers and Still hedge trimmers all are great.

yorkpaddy
01-08-2002, 11:02 PM
i'm with the last post, stihl FS85 all the way. I have an FS 85 trimmer, and a FC 75 edger. I have the hedge clippres and tiller that fit on the FS 85. When my 85 wouldn't start, I put the FC 75 power head on the 85 shaft and it worked for me while i got the 85 repaired. Next year i'm gonna buy an FS-200 for my frontline trimmer (more power), and put the hedge clippers permantely on the 85. When I need to run the tiller, i'll put it on the FS200, it can use the extra power.

odin
01-09-2002, 01:58 AM
Im with the stihl guys to.I have one that i got before going in the business that i got in 1990 to cut brush with ,and it still works great.Stihl and shindawa are the 2 cycle stuff we use
Both have proven them selves to us .

steveair
01-09-2002, 10:07 AM
hello,

I purchased a JD BP40 blower about 2 years ago and it runs like a champ still......starts on the first pull everytime still and I have done nothing but clean the air filter a few times.

I'm very happy with the blower, as it is lightweight and has good power.

If you look, the blowers have kawi engines on them. I wonder if the trimmers are the same way.

Also, if you look around, the JD blowers are exactly the same as the landscaper supply blowers and also husqavarna blowers, even saw a poulan pro at sears one day that was the same blower. Don't know who officially makes the JD blower, but it looks like about a zillion other companies just put their stickers on it also.

steve

GrassChopper
01-09-2002, 06:59 PM
My regular edger just crapped out so I bought a JD edger with the split shaft that came with the weed wacker. It starts right up and runs very good. Since I just got it, I can't tell you how long it will last, but it runs great right now.

I can buy 2 of these for what the echo costs. So I figured it will be a good backup unit once the parts are in for the other one.

GLS
01-09-2002, 10:18 PM
My regular edger just crapped out so I bought a JD edger with the split shaft that came with the weed wacker. It starts right up and runs very good. Since I just got it, I can't tell you how long it will last, but it runs great right now. Which model did you end up getting? I was thinking of purchasing one of their pro-series trimmers.

bullfrog
01-09-2002, 11:19 PM
I have the Stihl FS85RT (split-shaft) trimmer, I've been happy with it. I have all the attachments but the cultivator (which I want).

If I want to go with all straight shaft, all I have to do is buy a bunch of (regular straight shaft) FS85 trimmers, and unscrew the torxs on the ends of the poles of the attachments, and put them on the (regular straight shaft) FS85 trimmers.

The way stihl prices its implements, there isn't that huge of a difference between buying an attachment and a regular fs85, or buying the regular straight shaft implement. So, I can change an attachment into a straight shaft implement if I want. Given this, I don't see any advantage to buying a straight shaft implement -- particularly if this is a secondary trimmer.

Couple of interesting things, no stihl dealer here in Atlanta, GA could order a KW powersweep attachment -- but, my friend in Minnesota had his local dealer order it from stihl (my friend UPSed to me). I'm getting the same deal trying to order the cultavator, hopefully my friend in Mn can get his dealer to get it. I wonder why stihl will sell it in Mn, but, not here?

Once I got the KW powersweep attachment (this attachment isn't available with a FS85RT pole), I had a dealer sell me a couple of poles he had available -- the reason I wanted the pole was that I have the FS85RT, and although I could untorx, for example, the hedge trimmer attachment, and use it's pole, the KW sweep attachment is a pain to get to the torx bolt, you have to undo a cotter pin, and undo on of the rubber things to get to it. Ironically, the one attachment that is tough to untorx, isn't availble with a pole (unlike the hedge trimmer that is).

The second pole is a short one that the dealer had
from fixing a HL 0 degree hedge clipper attachment -- the gearbox part of it broke, and it was cheaper to order a whole new attachment with pole than just the part to fix it, so he kind of parted out the short pole. the short pole is useful at times with the pole pruner attachment, and my 0-90 hedge trimmer attachment when I'm not working on tall stuff.

I think it would be useful if they also offered another trimmer powerhead and pole for the FS85RT, it would be useful in situations where you could quickly change to a brush cutter, or another sting head on the fly (ie load new string later) -- I can change attachments quicker than you can put another clip in an m-16. :D

yorkpaddy
01-10-2002, 12:27 PM
I don't see the FS85-RT being that much quicker, do you still have to line up the square shaft end into the recepticle? thats what takes the most time changing attachments at the end of the shaft, not uncsrewing them, If I wanted to, I could probably put thumbscrews on the end of the torx fittings on my FS85, but its no biggie cause my BR400 carries a torx sparkplug wrench. I would think the straight 85 is slightly stronger with one less thing to break. The FS-200 isn't available in split shaft anyways.

Clint
01-10-2002, 07:45 PM
I look at those multi-purpose 2strokes as being cheap, no, I havent taken one out and used it, but from holding it and checkin it out thats what I concluded, I dont think I could bring myself to buy one, IMHO

Clint
P.S. - I'm aware of the no bashing rule, im just concluding on what I have seen :)