PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP SOON, trying to install new spindle

Orkin Yards
12-21-2001, 10:01 AM
i am trying to put a new center spindle on my 48" SCAG w/b, i have the belts off of the 2 pulleys, and i unscrewed the 2 screws that are in what looks like a flattened split washer in the center of the top pulley (it is a double stacked pulley) but how do i get the pulleys off?? i tried pulling and that isnt' working, do i just break them loose or what?

heybruck34
12-21-2001, 11:23 AM
Buy or find two bolts that are the same size as the two bolts you removed from the split hub on top of the spindle. These new bolts can be longer if you don't have the same length. There should be two holes next to the oversized holes that the original bolts went in. Thread the new bolts down the other holes so they hit the pulley. Put your socket and rachet on the new bolts and tighten down evenly- ie 3 turns on one and 3 on the other, 3 on the first and then 3 on the next.... This wil separate the hub from the pulley. Then take a screwdriver and gently pound it in the crack to finish taking the hub off.

I use the new or subsitute bolts so in case you cross thread or strip you don't ruin the ORIGINAL BOLTS.

Good luck...

strickdad
12-21-2001, 01:03 PM
follow the instructions above they are correct..

eslawns
12-22-2001, 08:40 PM
Before you start this, go to an auto parts store and get a can of PB Blaster. This is the best stuff in the world for breaking loose rusty hardware.

When you put the spindle pulley back on, use new bolts. Taking the old ones off removed the rust down to good metal. They will rust more and then be likely to break the next time you take them off.

Atlantic Lawn
12-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Ah PB Blaster......Stuff really works,like the can too.