PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

mike lane lawn care
05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
ok so after owning the new 2500HD for a day, i noticed a few things.

1. it's very quiet in the cab
2. it's the most luxurious vehicle i've ever been in, period.
3. the ride quality is significantly better than a 1/2 ton.

now down to the stuff that matters for work.
it tows my landscape trailer like it's not there, no jarring of the suspension going over bumps.

the fuel millage sucks 12.8-14.0 MPG WTF? is this the consequence of owning a huge V8? is that normal? will it do better on a long highway trip?

mzgloves20
05-24-2008, 11:37 PM
...lol...

I have a 3500 Duramax Diesel dumper and get 10-11mpg on a good day... 350 something horses is tasty though :laugh: .

KrayzKajun
05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
cant wait to see wht my F350 is gunna get on mpg

RedWingsDet
05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
the fuel millage sucks 12.8-14.0 MPG WTF? is this the consequence of owning a huge V8? is that normal? will it do better on a long highway trip?

you should be glad your seeing that much mpg. Mine is worse.

What I dont understand is that my V10 gets better mileage than my V8 and my v6 personal car gets double of both, lol.

J&R Landscaping
05-25-2008, 09:26 AM
My old 94 F250 5.8L would see generally 9-10 mpg under any conditions. Maybe close to 11 on the highway. Is the truck brand new or is it used?

oakhillslandscaping
05-25-2008, 09:33 AM
you should be glad your seeing that much mpg. Mine is worse.

What I dont understand is that my V10 gets better mileage than my V8 and my v6 personal car gets double of both, lol.

your V10 gets better mileage cause its a bigger engine pulling a big truck, with a V8 its working harder to move the big truck which is why the milage isnt good

part that i hate is i have all diesels and diesel here is 5 bucks a gallon and they are getting 12-15mpg and cause they run all day everyday im spending more then gas pick-ups

LindblomRJ
05-27-2008, 01:44 AM

For a V8 that is pretty good... And I am guessing you have your right foot burried in the gas peddle and if thats the case you are doing really good.

My ol 12 year old chevrolet 350 will get 16 on the highway if I am not in a big hurry. Around town with trailer and tools 11 MPG real easy.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
your unhappy with 13-14mpg in a 3/4 ton 350 horse 7k lb truck? You didnt check on mpg B4 you bought it??? I have the same truck. 07 1/2 2500hd. I av. 13 with no towing, goes down 1-2 towing mowers. highway you might get 15. good luck w/ the truck. I like mine. the sheet metal sucks though (thats all new trucks).

Petr51488
05-27-2008, 11:59 PM
the sheet metal sucks though (thats all new trucks).

Damn you can say that again. On little bump and they dent like crazy. I thought i was the only one who noticed. My 98 can take a full blown cinderblock and it wont dent lol (kidding, but the 98 is much much thicker)

LindblomRJ
05-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Damn you can say that again. On little bump and they dent like crazy. I thought i was the only one who noticed. My 98 can take a full blown cinderblock and it wont dent lol (kidding, but the 98 is much much thicker)

I am done some damage to the floor of the bed on my 96... :hammerhead:

mike lane lawn care
05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
your unhappy with 13-14mpg in a 3/4 ton 350 horse 7k lb truck? You didnt check on mpg B4 you bought it??? I have the same truck. 07 1/2 2500hd. I av. 13 with no towing, goes down 1-2 towing mowers. highway you might get 15. good luck w/ the truck. I like mine. the sheet metal sucks though (thats all new trucks).

fuel millage isn't a deciding factor, i know it was going to be low. i was just wondering if it was in line wit the normal, which it seems to be. the fuel millage is offset by massive amounts of raw power.

mag360
05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
fuel millage isn't a deciding factor, i know it was going to be low. i was just wondering if it was in line wit the normal, which it seems to be. the fuel millage is offset by massive amounts of raw power.

You are getting better than average fuel economy---nice.

Hansen Lawns
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I took a 2004 2500HD home this winter for about a week... it was an overnight test drive, turned into me buying it.. and returning it when I realized what kind of $hit deal I was getting!

I was getting 12-13 doing 58 on the highway pulling nothing! Don't the '08's shut down to 4 cylinders at cruising speed? (when not towing anything I would assume) or is that just the 1/2 tons?

The '08s are VERY very nice trucks, as it looks like you've learned!

I'm still driving my '94 1/2 ton.. tranny is about gone in it! Just trying to save up for a nice truck that I wont have to change 6 mo. after I get in business. I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha

4 seasons lawn&land
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
thats good for an 04 with the old tranny. cylinders only shut down in the half tons.

mike lane lawn care
05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha

this was actually the reaction of one of my biggest clients, after rolling around in the 1999 1/2 ton flatbed for a while, showing up in a truck of the 2500's caliber was a bit of a shock for him. he told me "kid, you must make a pretty penny off me, but thank god you got a truck that matches your skill"

RedWingsDet
05-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I took a 2004 2500HD home this winter for about a week... it was an overnight test drive, turned into me buying it.. and returning it when I realized what kind of $hit deal I was getting!

I was getting 12-13 doing 58 on the highway pulling nothing! Don't the '08's shut down to 4 cylinders at cruising speed? (when not towing anything I would assume) or is that just the 1/2 tons?

The '08s are VERY very nice trucks, as it looks like you've learned!

I'm still driving my '94 1/2 ton.. tranny is about gone in it! Just trying to save up for a nice truck that I wont have to change 6 mo. after I get in business. I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha

do you want a decent truck that can haul alot? do you want it to plow snow? do you want it to be reliable? if yes, buy it or any other gm,ford, or chrysler 3/4 or 1ton...

If your looking for a truck with good mileage, that will never happen. Sell your business and buy a civic if your that concerned about mileage.

Not trying to be rude, and I understand that it does suck, but its the name of the game. Bigger trucks = bigger bills/repairs/etc, which all together should equal bigger checks for your business.