PDA

View Full Version : Too Damn Hot

Big C
05-25-2008, 02:12 AM
That is it guys, I tried to start my business using only my Quick 36(which is a great mower by the way) but the last couple of days have been 98 degrees with humidity in the 90's, and I took a pretty bad beating both using it as a wb and using the stepsaver and it is only going to get hotter. I am up to 15 accts and climbing but I think that the lack of a helper plus the Louisiana heat and humidity plus the fact that every afternoon it will rain like clock work has lead my to think that mybe now is the time to suck it up and buy a 46" to 48" ztr so that I can run more efficent, and keep my Quick for gated backyards and a backup mower. I plan on being in business for many years to come plus I plan on paying for the mower cash so I don't think this is a bad business decision.....can any of you guys relate???

J&J Customs
05-25-2008, 02:29 AM
well i can relate here in northwest arkansas lately its been around 92 for several days and humidty in the 80's and 90's with rain early in the morning and sun late morning to early evening so its pretty warm which is weird because normally its in the low 80's but yeah only to get worse, summer here is in the 100's with 70% to 80% humidity but the only thing i have to say is its rough at first but youll get use to it

bohiaa
05-25-2008, 02:30 AM
WOW :

I was wondering if you are NEW to that area ?

or just have been living under a rock ?

belive it or NOT it gets hot there and here too,

however I really havent seen it get hot yet, or for that matter it really hasnt been hot for the last 10 years....

pls tell me what do you do when it does get hot ?

turn tail and run ?

HOOLIE
05-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Maybe you need a physical...15 lawns total and you're sucking wind???

Big C
05-25-2008, 02:45 AM
I have been living is Louisiana all my life and am used to the heat....the point I was trying to make is....would you rather mow in 95 degree heat using a ztr or wb and being forced to take minimal breaks because in several hours it will storm??????....I mow on my days off from my fulltime job so time management is very important.....and not to mention the way I see it I can invest $7000 in a good ztr that willl minimize my time in the heat or my wife will be spending that $7000 in funeral expenses after I die of heat stroke, trying to be macho.

Big C
05-25-2008, 02:48 AM
Maybe you need a physical...15 lawns total and you're sucking wind???

Northern Virginia....huh.....you can't even begin to understand where I am coming from...it's about working smarter not harder.

HOOLIE
05-25-2008, 02:52 AM
It gets plenty hot and humid up here too Big C...

Big C
05-25-2008, 03:00 AM
It gets plenty hot and humid up here too Big C...

oh i don't doubt it...It is just something about the deep south humidity that makes you want to puke......good luck this summer

bohiaa
05-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Big C...

yes it does get warm, most of us know that. In fact I remember in 1980 there were 30 plus days over 115 here.

and yes I was cutting grass then..
as far as getting used to it. there is
NO such thing. the human body cant take to much heat. " that's jsut the way God made us" you tolarate it, Not get used to it.

however. I wanted to say I'm sorry for my short talk to ya. but think about rutting before you slap 5 to 7 large on something that may or may NOT help ya....

today I added another exmark to the fleet. kind of for the fact that your speeking.
what this machine will do is speed up my crew about 1.5 days.... were making about 6 to 7 hundred a day. with another day freed up this machine will pay for it self in about 3 months....

Good luck

Big C
05-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Big C...

yes it does get warm, most of us know that. In fact I remember in 1980 there were 30 plus days over 115 here.

and yes I was cutting grass then..
as far as getting used to it. there is
NO such thing. the human body cant take to much heat. " that's jsut the way God made us" you tolarate it, Not get used to it.

however. I wanted to say I'm sorry for my short talk to ya. but think about rutting before you slap 5 to 7 large on something that may or may NOT help ya....

today I added another exmark to the fleet. kind of for the fact that your speeking.
what this machine will do is speed up my crew about 1.5 days.... were making about 6 to 7 hundred a day. with another day freed up this machine will pay for it self in about 3 months....

Good luck

I apperciate your input...the heat/weather factor is just part of the reason for wanting to add a ztr. Though i only have 15 accts my busines is growing faster than I thought and 15 acct is the most I will do solo/parttime with a WB which is costing me $$$$, I would much rather spend the money now while I can pay cash for a mower. Plus I get alot of calls for properties the are in the 2-3 acre range and there is no way I could cut those on a regular basis with a 36" WB.

HOOLIE
05-25-2008, 03:33 AM
oh i don't doubt it...It is just something about the deep south humidity that makes you want to puke......good luck this summer

I'm sure it's much worse down there, don't envy you one bit.

There was a good article I read a few years ago, it was saying it takes on average 3 weeks for the body to get acclimated to being out in the heat...one of the big changes the body goes thru is it adjusts and you begin to lose a lot less salt when you sweat. So you're just sweating a lot more water and the body is saving all those important things Gatorade tries to put back in you :laugh: If you're doing this part time, it'll take that much longer for you to get adjusted.

Well only you can determine if a ZTR is a wise business decision. If you think it's justified then why not?

bohiaa
05-25-2008, 03:38 AM
I'm sure it's much worse down there, don't envy you one bit.

There was a good article I read a few years ago, it was saying it takes on average 3 weeks for the body to get acclimated to being out in the heat...one of the big changes the body goes thru is it adjusts and you begin to lose a lot less salt when you sweat. So you're just sweating a lot more water and the body is saving all those important things Gatorade tries to put back in you :laugh: If you're doing this part time, it'll take that much longer for you to get adjusted.

Well only you can determine if a ZTR is a wise business decision. If you think it's justified then why not?

Glad to see your post.... where did people come up thinking that GATORADE was good for ya ????

I have been trying to figure this out for years.... MAybe too much TV and NO reasearch.......

bill8379
05-25-2008, 03:39 AM
If it's really Hot I start early and work fast, if I'm in the heat, I just take it easy. Mind you I'm in Manitoba, but we still get hot sometimes.

J&J Customs
05-25-2008, 03:43 AM
15 accounts buy a residental ztr for now and save like 5 grand

Big C
05-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Glad to see your post.... where did people come up thinking that GATORADE was good for ya ????

I have been trying to figure this out for years.... MAybe too much TV and NO reasearch.......

yeah the sugar in gatorade is a killer!!!!!

Big C
05-25-2008, 03:50 AM
I will likely get a Hustler Fasttrack Super Duty and pickup another 15 or so lawns by mid summer is my plan

larryslawn
05-25-2008, 03:58 AM
dude if you are already crysacking. you will never make it here. if you have lived here your whole life you know it has not even really got hot yet.

ALC-GregH
05-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I can deal with sweat. I worked in a shop for years that when you came in for the day during the summer, you would sweat just standing there. Forget working under the hood of a hot car. You'll sweat looking at it. I bought a ZTR just so I don't have to deal with walking miles everyday mowing. It will save you time and your health in the end. Get the ZTR, you won't regret it!

SNAPPER MAN
05-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Its been in the mid 90's here all week. Most guys in my area just use walkbehinds because its practical and the owners dont care if their guys have to walk. I have a ztr but on alot of residential we cant use it so its back to the 32" gear drive. The heat is just something you have to suck up and deal with. Drink lots of fluids and cover up your skin.

Charles
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
yeah the sugar in gatorade is a killer!!!!!

Ya, I would rather just drink ice water. Gatorade never helped me feel better

ALC-GregH
05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I cramp up when I drink Gatorade. I drink alot of ice tea.

Bennett scape
05-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I must admit i hate the heat and humidity but you have to work in it so what can you do. also i think you never get used to 100 degree heat with 90% humidity i drink gallons of water everyday during the summer.

KrayzKajun
05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Big C needs to move to alaska!

Dude its not hot yet!!!! this weather is great!! iM LOVIN THE 95deg weather!

ILL take yur yards if you dont want them! LOL LOL

freshprince94
05-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Amen to that. I have mowed in temps of 100 before. I didn't want to do it but they had to be done. And I'm using a 21".

Big C
05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
dude if you are already crysacking. you will never make it here. if you have lived here your whole life you know it has not even really got hot yet.

I am not crying:cry:...heat is nothing new to me....and yes I now it is going to get hotter...that is the whole point of this thread....ways to better prepair myself for it that's all....it's not about me being a wuss....pu22y......wimp or anything else. I knew how hot the summers are here long before I got into this business.....this is not my first rodeo....and for you guys the say I am crying......please don't try and bullsh!t everyone in this forum into thinking you don't complain but you guys get on this forum and try to act bulletproof....but I know better!!

Big C
05-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Big C needs to move to alaska!

Dude its not hot yet!!!! this weather is great!! iM LOVIN THE 95deg weather!

ILL take yur yards if you dont want them! LOL LOL

Yeah another bulletproof m/f....no I'll take your yards WHEN YOUR DEAD:angel: from a heat stroke....

Big C
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Let me get some things straight, for some people this is my whole issue. I have a 36 inch WB. Would you rather cut in 95 degree heat using a 36 inch WB or a 48 inch ZTR...if you had a choice which would you choose....it shoul be a no brainer......This has nothing to do with my physical condition, my tolerance for heat or me being a wimp. If I didn't't have a choice I would do what I have to do.....but I do have a choice.....it kills me when people in this forum give you the "gloom & doom" or the "you'll never make it speech" and try to make this sh!t out to be so damn complex....it just grass cutting people....not nuclear medicine.

doubleedge
05-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Demo a ztr and go from there.

topsites
05-25-2008, 12:56 PM
omg you better get used to it, don't tell me you're another one of them fair weather warriors.
Now don't let it kill you because you went out there after what I said, but 98 ain't so bad.

We got lots of them around here, I see them running around all bright eyed and bushy tailed in spring then as SOON as that thermometer hits 90 POOF they're gone. Like magic, suddenly the roads are deserted the very first DAY that thang peaks 90... And funnier still my phone rings, then it gets better, come late September we see a few of them making a weak comeback.

For the first 5 years none of my trucks had a/c, and I used nothing but W/b's.
Yeah it's hot, but so what, who cares?

By the way, we're expecting HI's in excess of 110 this year, probably 112 to 114, might even get worse.
Don't keel over dead now, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are for real and very deadly.
You'll want to monitor yourself, and drink LOTS of water, at least a gallon a day but preferably a lot more.
And if you start to feel dizzy watch out, then if the edges of your vision start to creep in on you that's a final warning.
Last year was 108+, it's all this global warming stuff.

KrayzKajun
05-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah another bulletproof m/f....no I'll take your yards WHEN YOUR DEAD:angel: from a heat stroke....

Not gunna happen. I live for the heat! I survived a year of 120deg+ days in Iraq. I love the louisiana heat!

topsites
05-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I must admit i hate the heat and humidity but you have to work in it so what can you do. also i think you never get used to 100 degree heat with 90% humidity i drink gallons of water everyday during the summer.

All right I'm with you there, but one thing that helps me out is I don't work from 11a-2p on them HOT days.
11a-2p is the HOTTEST part of the day, here's what I do:

1. Either start real early and get everything done by 11a and see ya!
> Take the rest of the day off.
2. Start late and find myself at my first job by 2p and work until dark.
> Sux a bit but not really, the first hour is rough then it's not bad.
3. Break off from 11a-2p find myself in the shade or inside some place, split the day.
> The hardest part here is getting going again around 2 lol

But there ain't that much work once it gets this hot anyhow, lawns and things don't grow as fast no more.
If you try to keep up on weekly cutting you'll just burn the lawn, mows have to be delayed so it's not as busy.
Hedge trimming it's too hot for the plants, it is very risky to prune bushes in the heat because it might kill the plant.
Mulch, are you kidding me?
Fine, all right, but not from 11a-2p.

Other stuff like brush clearing and what have you, same thing, early mornings or afternoon.

I myself don't care for mornings because it feels like an uphill battle, the entire time I'm wearing down it's also getting hotter and hotter... But, it is slightly cooler than in the afternoon, your choice.

Now that's just how I do things.

Big C
05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Not gunna happen. I live for the heat! I survived a year of 120deg+ days in Iraq. I love the louisiana heat!

Never say naver...... that is a very dangerous attitude to have,I spent time in the desert also back in '93....be careful this summer and keep cool

LawnBrother
05-25-2008, 01:33 PM
This is terrible advice.

Bennett scape
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM
hey Topsites i have noticed the very same thing here very enthusiastic during spring and then as soon as 90 hits they are gone. i do not know how they make ends meet with out working the summer. I have worked outside my whole life and i love it the good weather and bad.:)

Big C
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
This tread has turned from me getting a ztr to improve my productivity to everyone showing how tough they are when it comes to heat, which was not the point. my situation my be a little different: 1: I started a lawn business for the love of it and and to setup something for my kids when they are teenagers 2: I have a fulltime job that pays me 110K+ so money is not an issue. 3:I understand alot of you guys on this forum do this full time(hats off to you guys) thus you guys have to "do what you gotta do" reguardless of heat, equipment etc. or whatever. I don't have to cut a blade of grass for the rest of the summer and it will not hurt me a bit.

razor1
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Big C, definitely get the ZTR!

I don't work from 11a-2p on them HOT days. topsites

They've been doing it South of the Border for many years. :waving:

Some of the Mexican landscape crews do sleep in the afternoon. :drinkup:

A siesta, Spanish pronunciation Spanish pronunciation: [ˈsjesta]) is a short nap taken in the early afternoon, often after the midday meal. Such a period of sleep is a common tradition in some countries, particularly those where the weather is warm. The word siesta is Spanish, from the Latin hora sexta - "the sixth hour" (counting from dawn, therefore noon, hence "midday rest").

LawnBrother
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I took a siesta once and it really rejuvenated me. It wasn't intentional. I was tired and I had just ate lunch and put my head on the steering wheel, next thing I know it's a half hour later and I felt ready to go back to work!

lawnprosteveo
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I know what you mean BigC...Im pushing 40 and I feel it more and more at the end of a long week. Seriously considering trading up from a 36 wb to a 32 or 36 Stander for gated areas. My 48 Quik Trak is for all the rest. I can mow all day on that and not be too tired.

I have a sulky I put on the wb, but its hard to manuever it in a little back yard. I may just try to find me a good used Wright Stander 36 or 32....

jkingrph
05-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I can relate to the humidity. I grew up in N. Louisiana, There were enough rivers, bayous, ans swamps around the Monroe area for us to have plenty of humidity. I have a cousin in Gonzales so know how it is there. I'm in E. Texas now and it seems to get hotter here than down there, and humidity is high here. Washed cars yesteday and was soaked.

Drink plenty of water. I was a medical officer in the Air Force and we taught folks to drink on a schedule during the hot times.

I would suggest the ZTR, anything to put less stress and strain on the body, especially during the heat. It could save your life if you continue to do this for a living year after year, prolong your working life, and make you more productive thus creating more income maybe to help with a better retirement some day.

I'm speaking as a homeowner, and I know how much time my ZTR saves me each week as compared to a lawn tractor. I work inside in A/C and could not imagine using a walkbehind on my almost 2 acres in the summer heat. Maybe if I did it all day every day, but at 63 do not want to consider it, the less time I have to work outside in the summer the better, thus the ZTR. I honestly think once you get one and get started with it you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.

Big C
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
I can relate to the humidity. I grew up in N. Louisiana, There were enough rivers, bayous, ans swamps around the Monroe area for us to have plenty of humidity. I have a cousin in Gonzales so know how it is there. I'm in E. Texas now and it seems to get hotter here than down there, and humidity is high here. Washed cars yesteday and was soaked.

Drink plenty of water. I was a medical officer in the Air Force and we taught folks to drink on a schedule during the hot times.

I would suggest the ZTR, anything to put less stress and strain on the body, especially during the heat. It could save your life if you continue to do this for a living year after year, prolong your working life, and make you more productive thus creating more income maybe to help with a better retirement some day.

I'm speaking as a homeowner, and I know how much time my ZTR saves me each week as compared to a lawn tractor. I work inside in A/C and could not imagine using a walkbehind on my almost 2 acres in the summer heat. Maybe if I did it all day every day, but at 63 do not want to consider it, the less time I have to work outside in the summer the better, thus the ZTR. I honestly think once you get one and get started with it you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.

Finally someone that undertstands where I am coming from

k911lowe
05-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I apperciate your input...the heat/weather factor is just part of the reason for wanting to add a ztr. Though i only have 15 accts my busines is growing faster than I thought and 15 acct is the most I will do solo/parttime with a WB which is costing me $$$$, I would much rather spend the money now while I can pay cash for a mower. Plus I get alot of calls for properties the are in the 2-3 acre range and there is no way I could cut those on a regular basis with a 36" WB.

if i were you and in the same situation,i would go for it.

ed2hess
05-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I am not that sure that a ztr will help that much. What about all the trimming and blowing and bush trimming, planting, mulching, etc. etc.?

J&R Landscaping
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I can understand about the heat and productivity. I would say grab a Rider but can you justify the purchase with only 15 lawns? Also, yes you may pick-up another 10-15 or more lawns by the end of the season but I would not bank on anything and make a purchase to soon. I would wait till you grow a bit more so you can get a mower that will be just what you need. You could get a machine now but it may not e correct as you grow... JMO

wiselawns
05-25-2008, 09:52 PM
In July and Aug the heat and humidity get pretty rough hear. I wear long pants that are made out of the same material that swim trunks are made of. They will dry quickly but when the are damp with sweat they actually keep me cooler that wearing shorts. Ill also grab a customers garden hose and drench myself every couple of hours. Lots of water also

freshprince94
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Let me get some things straight, for some people this is my whole issue. I have a 36 inch WB. Would you rather cut in 95 degree heat using a 36 inch WB or a 48 inch ZTR...if you had a choice which would you choose....it shoul be a no brainer......This has nothing to do with my physical condition, my tolerance for heat or me being a wimp. If I didn't't have a choice I would do what I have to do.....but I do have a choice.....it kills me when people in this forum give you the "gloom & doom" or the "you'll never make it speech" and try to make this sh!t out to be so damn complex....it just grass cutting people....not nuclear medicine.

I would definitely rather the ZTR. I understand the southern heat thing, it's a PITA to have to walk all your lawns.

And like Big C said, it's not nuclear medicine. Almost anyone can cut grass.