05-25-2008, 01:16 AM
I started up a customer's system the other day and noticed one zone with very little pressure and then saw water percolating up out of the ground next to a head, which I thought was on the same zone. While I was there I noticed a gopher hole in the guy's yard, about twelve feet away from the leak and uphill. I go back today to fix leak and start by digging around the head nearest the leak. I find the line and dig it out a little and turn the zone on. The line wasn't leaking, but water was pouring out of the soil uphill from the line. The water was coming out with enough force to make me think that the leak was buried just another few inches uphill. I dig some more...no line...I dig a little more. I turned the zone back on. This time I can hear the leak, so I know I'm close so I dig some more only to dig into a gopher tunnel. Water is pouring out of the tunnel. Now what do I do. The leak could be anywhere. What ended up saving me was finding out there was another zone leaking from the same hole when I was going through the zones one at a time. I dug up around the closest head on that zone and got a pretty good idea which direction the line was heading. You guessed it, it was heading straight for the gopher hole. At this point, the gopher was my prime suspect, so I dig a trench near the gopher hole and bingo there it was. Three laterals in the same trench. One line was twisted and squished shut. That gopher had a party with that poly. Anyway, four hours to fix a couple of leaks. I could have used the Assistant Greenskeeper from Caddyshack today. That dirty varmint.