PDA

View Full Version : shindaiwa trimmer ?

Squirter
05-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I've got a line on a NEW in box Shindaiwa T-270 string trimmer. From what I think I know, this is a pretty good trimmer that will do everything I could ever want to do...trim grass (residential), heavy-thick grass/weeds, brush clearing, and able to accept a blade for some heavier brush. Where am I wrong??? I really don't need it for alot of "heavy use"...but I'm always one to buy the bigger, more powerful piece of equipment to get the job done.

I believe this unit is discontinued and has been replaced with the T-272 which is supposedly equipped with more emission control stuff that zaps it from power. Is this true? Which is the better trimmer...the 270 or 272...and why???

I won't be using this every day for commercial purposes. Instead, it will be used when I do my bi-weekly residential yard mowing. I may also have to (occasionally) use it to care for another yard or two (neighbor and MOM).

Will I be happy with this trimmer (T-270) ??? What's NOT to like about it??? Would I be happier with a Shindaiwa T-260 ??? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
The 270 is one of the most durable all purpose trimmers on the market, Imho. It's a little bit heavier than most dedicated lawn care trimmers... but, in the case of the 270, more weight equals durability and power. I've used my 270's on everything from 5 acres per month of guardrail trimming to private lawns without any problems. It also does great with sawblade type attachments. All in all, it is much more durable and powerful than the 260. Enjoy it.

ed2hess
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
The 270 is one of the most durable all purpose trimmers on the market, Imho. It's a little bit heavier than most dedicated lawn care trimmers... but, in the case of the 270, more weight equals durability and power. I've used my 270's on everything from 5 acres per month of guardrail trimming to private lawns without any problems. It also does great with sawblade type attachments. All in all, it is much more durable and powerful than the 260. Enjoy it.

I thought they completely redesigned the T270 with different engine due to emissons. The old straight two stroke was the best. I don't hear anything good about the new ones in our area but I don'[t have one.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I thought they completely redesigned the T270 with different engine due to emissons. The old straight two stroke was the best. I don't hear anything good about the new ones in our area but I don'[t have one.

The new 270's are slightly different from the old; but, the engines, driveshafts, and gearboxes are still the same. The 271 and 272 are the ones with the different emission parts. However, the new 270's throttle controls are less durable than the old... and, they got rid of the old metal loop handles(which were much better than the new plastic ones). Luckily, I have a couple of old, parts 270's that I can rob the handles off of:).

NORTHMAN
05-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Keep it,I thought I found one but it turned out to be a 272,if you decide to sell it,please let me know.

Squirter
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
The only drawback (for me) I can see with this trimmer (t-270) is it has the newer style trigger type "on-off" switch that sticks up on top of the shaft...above the throttle. I wish it had the slide-type "on-off" switch so I wouldn't have to hold down on the switch at all times for it to start/run. Perhaps this is something I could change if parts were available.

I'm a tad bit concerned with the weight of the unit....although I currently use a 20 + year old Echo SRM 2500 which seems quite heavy (weight unknown). I don't think the weight of the t-270 will bother me since I'm not using it every day, all day long. Other than weight, the Shindaiwa trimmer looks to be the best on the market. I know I'm really happy with the EB-630 blower that I own. It runs really STRONG and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and has plenty of torque/power.

K/B
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
The only drawback (for me) I can see with this trimmer (t-270) is it has the newer style trigger type "on-off" switch that sticks up on top of the shaft...above the throttle. I wish it had the slide-type "on-off" switch so I wouldn't have to hold down on the switch at all times for it to start/run. Perhaps this is something I could change if parts were available.

I'm a tad bit concerned with the weight of the unit....although I currently use a 20 + year old Echo SRM 2500 which seems quite heavy (weight unknown). I don't think the weight of the t-270 will bother me since I'm not using it every day, all day long. Other than weight, the Shindaiwa trimmer looks to be the best on the market. I know I'm really happy with the EB-630 blower that I own. It runs really STRONG and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and has plenty of torque/power.

Do you mean the safety interlock (like a chainsaw has)? The only thing that does is prevent the trigger from being pushed if your hand isn't on the handle. The on/off switch is slide on/off in front of your hand.
Some models have a lock to set a "high idle", not sure if the T270 does or not.

Lovingreen
05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I have a 272x and use it rarely... It is too heavy...I use lighter trimmers for daily duty and break out the 272 for extreme trimming.....

K/B
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a 272x and use it rarely... It is too heavy...I use lighter trimmers for daily duty and break out the 272 for extreme trimming.....

I would not use a trimmer that big for daily duty either...the T242 is a good size for that. I have a T18 (older model) that I use for regular trimmer, it's old but runs great and great power for the weight.

Squirter
05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
As I said, I'm not going to use the t-270 for daily duty. I only need to use it about twice/week for 1/2 hour each time for a residential application. I would agree, if I were using it for daily duty, I'd consider something lighter. However, given my needs (which includes doing the rare "big job" or fairly thick/heavy weeds and even the rare event I need to clear some brush), I think the added power will be nice to have. Added power should also help speed up the job and put less wear and tear on the trimmer.

So far, I'm not hearing anything bad about the quality of the Shindaiwa t-270.

Also, does anybody know the weight of an older Echo SRM 2500??? I think it's a 24.5cc straight shaft unit??? The reason I ask is this is the trimmer I am currently using and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

K/B
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM
As I said, I'm not going to use the t-270 for daily duty. I only need to use it about twice/week for 1/2 hour each time for a residential application. I would agree, if I were using it for daily duty, I'd consider something lighter. However, given my needs (which includes doing the rare "big job" or fairly thick/heavy weeds and even the rare event I need to clear some brush), I think the added power will be nice to have. Added power should also help speed up the job and put less wear and tear on the trimmer.

So far, I'm not hearing anything bad about the quality of the Shindaiwa t-270.

Also, does anybody know the weight of an older Echo SRM 2500??? I think it's a 24.5cc straight shaft unit??? The reason I ask is this is the trimmer I am currently using and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

You will be hard-pressed to find anything bad quality-wise on the T-270. Pretty much any Shindaiwa, for that matter.

echo8287
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I've got a T260 and it is a great little trimmer. It has plenty of power and seems to be very durable so far. I just bought it about 3 months ago. Place had some for $270 so I couldn't pass it up. David