PDA

View Full Version : Need 2" pipe under sidewalk.

jcom
05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
We need to put 2" poly under a sidewalk and our boring bit for the 255sx is a 2" bit and works fine for 1". I do not envision having to do this again so don't want to buy a 3" bit or larger for this one job.

I am sure that trying to bore two 2" holes would be a disaster.

Any ideas to all you boring boring gurus.

John:)

Dirty Water
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
How wide is this sidewalk?

I've dug by hand under 6' sidewalks.

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
It is possible to get away with a length of undersized pipe, if you have enough pressure to overcome an additional loss. How many gpm are going through how long a length of pipe here?

londonrain
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Bore it with your 2" bit then beat a piece of 2 1/2 galvanized or sch40/80 PVC with a sledgehammer...or just buy a 3" backreamer so next time you can do a 3" bore unless you are going out of business in the near future... ....

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
We hammer sch 40 pipe through with caps on them. If you are lucky they will have a sand base. If progress is too slow we'll start with a 3/4" sch 40 then step up to an 1 1/4" then go to the 2". We try to avoid water boring but in my early years I used a water pipe I made attached to a hose.

jcom
05-25-2008, 10:51 PM
This is a regular 3' sidewalk. I want to avoid creating a large cavity underneath that will crack and/or settle.

Maybe it is sledgehammer time. We will try and rent stuff if we are going to use it so intermittently that buying it will end up with something in the corner almost never to be used again.

John

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Three feet?!! You could do that with a hand trowel. (and you could probably get by with a smaller diameter for that short a length, if it came down to that)

Dirty Water
05-25-2008, 11:20 PM
3' should take someone with a sharpshooter about 30 minutes tops to poke under.

We never had a bore, I've dug under at least a hundred sidewalks by hand.

AI Inc
05-26-2008, 08:10 AM
double drill it with your 2 ". Wiggle the shhit out of it once its thru , you will be fine.

WalkGood
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
This is a regular 3' sidewalk. I want to avoid creating a large cavity underneath that will crack and/or settle.

Maybe it is sledgehammer time. We will try and rent stuff if we are going to use it so intermittently that buying it will end up with something in the corner almost never to be used again.

John

Three feet? Hand dig that and shove a 6" piece in there as a sleeve....it will take up the space you carefully dug by hand.... just don't go nuts digging a tunnel you can drive thru. Now put your 2" pipe in there and you have room for any future needs (i.e. low voltage wiring, another 2" pipe).

DanaMac
05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Three feet? Hand dig that and shove a 6" piece in there as a sleeve....it will take up the space you carefully dug by hand.... just don't go nuts digging a tunnel you can drive thru. Now put your 2" pipe in there and you have room for any future needs (i.e. low voltage wiring, another 2" pipe).

Whoa, hold on there big thinker. No need for looking ahead. landscaping and irrigation never changes. :rolleyes:

WalkGood
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
..... in my early years I used a water pipe I made attached to a hose.

Did you use that sittin in a bean bag chair next to the lava lamp while listening to Hendrix or Pink Floyd? ;)

WalkGood
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Whoa, hold on there big thinker. No need for looking ahead. landscaping and irrigation never changes. :rolleyes:

True, and you can charge again for another hand tunnel.

Wet_Boots
05-26-2008, 12:08 PM
When I was water-jetting under sidewalks, I might use a length of 3/4-inch poly under the walk, even though it was 1-inch on either end. No pressure loss to speak of, in zones fed that way. (systems fed from 5/8 meters)

Mike Leary
05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Did you use that sittin in a bean bag chair next to the lava lamp while listening to Hendrix or Pink Floyd? ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-26-2008, 12:46 PM

:drinkup:..........