PDA

View Full Version : rotory spray nozzles

RedWingsDet
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
what do you guys think of these?

I havent used them yet, but I have a decent size install in a few weeks and am thinking about using them. I was also planning on installing i-20's stainless, and a fertilizing system, and possibly a drip zone or two. (guy wants best of best, does not care about price)

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Best of the best will be Toro 300 stream rotors. Use them in a head-to-head layout, and await the praise. It's what the MP Rotator is imitating.

RedWingsDet
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
only problem is..... I wont/dont use toro products for irrigation.

DanaMac
05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
only problem is..... I wont/dont use toro products for irrigation.

Smart man!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Best of the best will be Toro 300 stream rotors. Use them in a head-to-head layout, and await the praise. It's what the MP Rotator is imitating.

my thoughts as well..

Try the MP 4000 with the rainbird 1812 bodies...

pricey but I think you will like them.

Whats up with the hate on toro..you are missing out on some great products..
300 and the 570 are my favs...

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 02:28 PM
only problem is..... I wont/dont use toro products for irrigation.Someone put a gun to your head? Just curious here, since all I care about is quality and reliability. Brand names are a distant third.

DanaMac
05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Someone put a gun to your head? Just curious here, since all I care about is quality and reliability. Brand names are a distant third.

And all I find with Toro is junk - bad wiper seals, rotors that are difficult to adjust or stop rotating, valves that are junk (Flow Pro primarily), or valves that are time consuming to service (10 screws and a solenoid plunger that falls out, along with the very small fine spring), controllers that are junk and difficult to operate for the average homeowner, nozzles that seem to clog more than others except the RB VANs.

What else you want? or is that enough?

RedWingsDet
05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Someone put a gun to your head? Just curious here, since all I care about is quality and reliability. Brand names are a distant third.

I worded that wrong. I am always open to suggestions, but Ive had alot of problems with toro valves, and it seemed as if their sprays like to leak (not line clear or seep) but that is just my observation so far.

I am always open to suggestions, so please educate.

Wet_Boots
05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
And all I find with Toro is junk - bad wiper seals, rotors that are difficult to adjust or stop rotating, valves that are junk (Flow Pro primarily), or valves that are time consuming to service (10 screws and a solenoid plunger that falls out, along with the very small fine spring), controllers that are junk and difficult to operate for the average homeowner, nozzles that seem to clog more than others except the RB VANs.

What else you want? or is that enough?I can similarly slam any brand name with their history, Thompson brass/iron gear-drive rotors being a possible exception, and they went bye-bye last century. The finest rotor head, period, hit a brick wall when their entire production went defective, not to be discovered until the product was installed, and the water turned on. (which is why you always saw two of the Hunter PGP heads in little plastic bags, out of a case of twenty. Those got water-tested before they were shipped)

I agree that ten cover screws are a pain, but the Toro 250 valves were/are reliable enough performers. Go ahead and hate the brand name, but I could cherry-pick the Toro line, and install a more reliable sprinkler system than anything all-Hunter or all-Rainbird.

DanaMac
05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree that ten cover screws are a pain, but the Toro 250 valves were/are reliable enough performers. Go ahead and hate the brand name, but I could cherry-pick the Toro line, and install a more reliable sprinkler system than anything all-Hunter or all-Rainbird.

I also have many 250 that need new solenoids - plunger sticks up. Or cracked retainer rings. You name it, I've probably replaced it. At least anything made in the last 15-20 years and used in our area. And yes, I can also knock Rainbird and Hunter with the best of 'em. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I do find a better track record (except those damn T-Birds, but RB stepped up to the plate on that one)

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-25-2008, 03:02 PM

A well done toro stream rotor system is a sight to behold. I installed many a system with the 300s spaced 18' apart. They are really awesome to watch.

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
(except those damn T-Birds, but RB stepped up to the plate on that one)

Yup, first batch was junk, RB paid me to take them out & re install fresh ones,
I prolly installed 200 or so with no problems at all. I liked the fact you could
change nozzles with a simple unscrew of the turret. 99% of my T-Birds are
still in service. Peter, I did a Stream Rotor install, did the walk-thru, clients
watched, the guy turns to me and says, "I don't think you want to watch them too long."

Waterit
05-25-2008, 09:40 PM
(except those damn T-Birds, but RB stepped up to the plate on that one)

Our acidic well water was dissolving the internal metal parts - so they redesigned them with a better alloy.

Of course, they didn't reimburse the labor to go change them out...

But we had great luck with them until finally switching over to the 5004.

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=Waterit;2340569
Of course, they didn't reimburse the labor to go change them out[/QUOTE]

If you were big time, they would have. Did you ask?

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-25-2008, 10:17 PM

::gets around campfire::

Mike tell us a good story about your reimbursement from toro..

flowpro's?

Waterit
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Guess I'm not big time. Asked, got refused, but did get more hats and screwdrivers.

Mike Leary
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
::gets around campfire::

Mike tell us a good story about your reimbursement from toro..

flowpro's?

Well, campers, how about I never used any Toro products except
Stream Rotors, & had problems zero, so no reimbursement.
::torches one up around campsite:::dizzy:

DanaMac
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM

I wasn't big time. And they paid me. this was mid 90s. 96-99 time frame if I remember. As fast as I was replacing and adjusting, and what I was being paid, equaled out to about $150 an hour. I replaced at least a thousand of them. probably two. I was replacing them for other companies. MY company never installed them.

DanaMac
05-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I wasn't big time. And they paid me. this was mid 90s. 96-99 time frame if I remember. As fast as I was replacing and adjusting, and what I was being paid, equaled out to about $150 an hour. I replaced at least a thousand of them. probably two. I was replacing them for other companies. MY company never installed them.

One of the distributors even had me replacing them for other companies installs. Rather than paying me, they would credit my bill, thus saving my company from paying tax on it. :)