PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Would you buy a new trimmer if they rotated clockwise?

naturescape
05-25-2008, 01:59 PM
POLL: Would you buy a new trimmer if they rotated clockwise?

I have a feeling there will be a lot of "yea" votes. Manufacturers, take notice, if that is the case!

bohiaa
05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
being left handed. this would be a blessing, Thanks for thinking about that and posting.

Turf Dawg
05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Yes I would [srtaight shaft] and I know several that still run curved for that reason, so I know they would. I do not even care about brand as long as it is reasonably light. I know the Tanaka rep is on here some times so maybe they could give us thought.

tacoma200
05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
When I purchased my first strait shaft I hated it because of the rotation, now that I'm used to it, it would be hard to go back.

k911lowe
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
i used to use nothing but clockwise trimmers,had to get used to a left turn trimmer because i could not find a commercial right hand any more.

CFB
05-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Man I could've swore my stihl fs90 rotates clockwise. I don't have it here to check though.

I'm going back to curved shaft trimmers anyway, even though they are not commercial. Straight shafts are made for short people and I'm 6'5. Kills my back and I'm always bending at the back to keep it level. Got my hands on I believe it was the FS46 or 56. Perfect for my height...no bending, and naturally sits level to the ground. It's got a shady looking head on it though and I'm sure it probably won't last 1/3 as long. But I don't care if it saves my back.

KGR landscapeing
05-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Somebody for got the NOOO option. i am so used to it i think going back would kill productivity. and if your tall look in to tanaka extended reach. i have cut my leg to many times with curved even with the guard on.

Chop Stuff Up
05-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm confused? I'm right handed and wouldn't even consider a clockwise rotating shaft.

Pastaboy62
05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I am so used to it, and I kinda like walking backward sometime for some reason

LawnTamer
05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I voted yes, I'll tell you why. I don't mind the counter clock-wise rotation except when trying to get into the corners on the left of fence posts, do ya'll know what I'm talking about? You get a little tuft of grass in those niches that I have to turn the trimmer upside down to get. If they made a good straight shaft trimmer with the opposite rotation, I would use it every other week.

hockeypro1411
05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
whats the difference between trimming right handed and left handed? im right handed, but when i trim i walk forward holding the handle of the echo with my right hand and throttle with my left. am i trimming "left handed" or ass-backwards? haha ill keep doin whats comfortable for me

Richard Martin
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
whats the difference between trimming right handed and left handed? im right handed, but when i trim i walk forward holding the handle of the echo with my right hand and throttle with my left. am i trimming "left handed" or ass-backwards? haha ill keep doin whats comfortable for me

Yah, they call that "left handed" but I do the same thing although I'm right handed. I like the trimmers the way they are. Leave 'em alone.

metro36
05-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I am left handed and I love my counter clockwise trimmers. The way I use them I walk forwards and the cuttings go on the lawn so I am happy. What other advantages would there be with a clockwise rotating trimmer for me the lefty?

ed2hess
05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I guess I am slow but does it make any difference which way the head is rotating? I trim in both directions....walking forward sometimes sometimes backwards, sometimes on the sidewalk, sometimes on off.....just get er done. On long run I would like a device to hold the trottle down so I could take my fingar off that area.

metro36
05-25-2008, 08:41 PM
A trimmer with cruise control like on my backpack blower would not be a bad idea but it would need some kind of safety that would release the throttle when you remove your hand from the grip. Good idea Ed.

Lynden-Jeff
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I guess I am slow but does it make any difference which way the head is rotating? I trim in both directions....walking forward sometimes sometimes backwards, sometimes on the sidewalk, sometimes on off.....just get er done. On long run I would like a device to hold the trottle down so I could take my fingar off that area.

Its which way the clippings fly. Walking backwards is technically "Proper" as the clippings fly out of the bed however I usually flat from walking forwards and then upsiedown trim backwards, as I don't want stones in my face.

Cheers

Roger
05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm naturally right-handed, but I quickly learned to use the trimmer both ways, right or left handed. Usually, I switch to left-handed and walk forward, but for exacting work, I will keep it right-handed and walk backwards. I keep switching back and forth all the time.

Keep the trimmer rotations the way they turn now.

naturescape
05-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I am left handed and I love my counter clockwise trimmers. The way I use them I walk forwards and the cuttings go on the lawn so I am happy. What other advantages would there be with a clockwise rotating trimmer for me the lefty?

None, that was the point of this thread. If you are left-handed and trim from right to left, clippings will go on the lawn and not into beds, and is more efficient. See my next post.

naturescape
05-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I want to clear up this posting. Straight shaft trimmers nowadays rotate counter clockwise. So if you are right-handed as most people are, and trim the most natural/comfortable/safest way, left to right, you will be cutting inefficiently (against the direction the trimmer head is rotating). Also, along beds the trimmings will go into the beds instead of onto the lawn.

Making a CLOCKWISE rotating trimmer means that a right handed person could trim comfortably from left to right, and avoid these problems. Trimming would be much faster, more efficient, and look neater.

I'm used to my counter clockwise trimmers also, and use a sharp line on them, but I would buy a new trimmer ASAP if a company like Tanaka (maybe another company like Echo also) would make a clockwise rotating trimmer.

DuraCutter
05-26-2008, 12:08 AM

I have a feeling there will be a lot of "yea" votes. Manufacturers, take notice, if that is the case!

Does it really matter? It seems to be working fine now :laugh:

Maybe too much time on your hands...:rolleyes:

Good luck with the rotation problem.

:)

Sharpcut 1
05-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Man I could've swore my stihl fs90 rotates clockwise. I don't have it here to check though.

I'm going back to curved shaft trimmers anyway, even though they are not commercial. Straight shafts are made for short people and I'm 6'5. Kills my back and I'm always bending at the back to keep it level. Got my hands on I believe it was the FS46 or 56. Perfect for my height...no bending, and naturally sits level to the ground. It's got a shady looking head on it though and I'm sure it probably won't last 1/3 as long. But I don't care if it saves my back.

Tanaka has a trimmer for you, with an extra long shaft. Forgot the model # though!!!

J&J Customs
05-26-2008, 01:08 AM
i totally think my ryobi straight shaft rotates clockwise not sure ill check it out tomorrow and let yall know

CFB
05-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Tanaka has a trimmer for you, with an extra long shaft. Forgot the model # though!!!

You are the second one who's mentioned this. The biggest problem I have is that holding the trimmer comfortably, the head sits not level to the ground. If I hold it down 8" or so it does. So, not sure extra length would help me out or not, it might just be the angle they are designed to be operated at. I'd check it out if I had a tanaka dealer anywhere near me, but I don't.

02DURAMAX
05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't mind...

Chop Stuff Up
05-26-2008, 05:52 AM
walk the lawn in the opposite direction (still going forward). problem solved!

naturescape
05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
walk the lawn in the opposite direction (still going forward). problem solved!

This is not at all comfortable or quick. It goes against the natural grain of what feels right if one is right-handed.

KGR landscapeing
05-26-2008, 09:41 AM
This is not at all comfortable or quick. It goes against the natural grain of what feels right if one is right-handed.

i think your confusing what hes saying. just walk clockwise around beds trimming. edge backwards. and trim counter clockwise around driveways walking forward except when your edgeing.

naturescape
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I know exactly what he's saying but walking from right to left is not natural or comfortable when you are right handed.

Lazer_Z
05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Somebody for got the NOOO option. i am so used to it i think going back would kill productivity. and if your tall look in to tanaka extended reach. i have cut my leg to many times with curved even with the guard on. Ditto the above!

Leaf Jockey
05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Have you ever put a steel brush cutter blade on your trimmer? If you drop it in the dirt it seems to want to pull away from your body. If the blade spun the other way I'm guessing it would want to run towards your foot. This may be why most spin the way they do.

Scott

deere615
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
When I first started using counter clockwise trimmers I hated them, but now 'I am used to it. It doen't really matter to me, but I would probably stay with what I have

Bennett scape
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
does not make any difference to me

Fine Lines
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Vote yes all the way! Guess it comes down to using a curved shaft for years growing up like the rest of the people agreeing with me.Have learned to use the counter clockwise rotation,no biggie but has always amazed me they have not changed this years ago.
Common sense tells you,throttle on right hand,left hand holding handle (as the majority hold a trimmer) that the clockwise rotation makes the most sense.
You would think research and development could figure this one out! If they want both markets design both.I assure you if a manufacturer did this it would warrant lots of sales due to this reason alone.I think most that are disagreeing with this have just always used counter clockwise rotation or they are left handed.......boils down to what your used to i guess.
But I assure you if you hand a trimmer to a right handed person that has not grown impartial to one or other they will choose the clockwise rotation every time Common Sense people!

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm a southpaw, so I get along just fine as is.

John Gamba
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM

YES:cool2::cool2::cool2:

razor1
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I had an old "clockwise" curved shaft trimmer that you could easily run with 1 hand, so yes I would consider another one.

While we're on the subject I have a trimmer question.

Do the new trimmers (Echo, Tanaka, etc) still have tuneable or adjustable carbs? (As in 2 screws, for "H" high and "L" low)

You ever notice how some of the cheaper trimmers from Home Depot, etc, the carburettor screws are not user adjustable. There is no slots in their heads and they are shrouded in dicast material and recessed to prevent "tampering". The owner's manual says to take it to a dealer for any running problems related to the carburettor and the only setting adjustable is the idle speed, the maual says.

(What are they thinking) :hammerhead:

naturescape
05-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I had an old "clockwise" curved shaft trimmer that you could easily run with 1 hand, so yes I would consider another one.

While we're on the subject I have a trimmer question.

Do the new trimmers (Echo, Tanaka, etc) still have tuneable or adjustable carbs? (As in 2 screws, for "H" high and "L" low)

You ever notice how some of the cheaper trimmers from Home Depot, etc, the carburettor screws are not user adjustable. There is no slots in their heads and they are shrouded in dicast material and recessed to prevent "tampering". The owner's manual says to take it to a dealer for any running problems related to the carburettor and the only setting adjustable is the idle speed, the maual says.

(What are they thinking) :hammerhead:

What are they thinking? I believe that they don't want people altering the emissions on these things.

RhettMan
05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I really do trim entire yards walking backwards with the "fence" on my left, it leaves a clean trim and throws grass away from what ever im cutting

corey4671
05-26-2008, 08:23 PM
why designa whole trimmer around this concept? why not just build a gearbox with a switch that allows you to have a counter clockwise or clockwise spinning head? viola...marketing genius!!

naturescape
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
why designa whole trimmer around this concept? why not just build a gearbox with a switch that allows you to have a counter clockwise or clockwise spinning head?

Because it can't be done.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Because it can't be done.

can't never could do nothing.....just because it's never been done doesn't mean it can't be done :hammerhead:

naturescape
05-26-2008, 09:44 PM
can't never could do nothing.....just because it's never been done doesn't mean it can't be done :hammerhead:

I would HATE to see how heavy a gearbox contraption like you are talking about would weigh.........

Just make trimmers rotate clockwise so that right-handed people could use them more efficiently.

billslawn89
05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
thats why i still have my stihl curved shaft. when the time came for me to buy a new trimmer, i went and bought a straight shaft echo...went to go use it the next day and said WTF...spinning the opposite way. i was so used to trimming everything with the clockwise motion trimmer, i went and bought another stihl and the echo is in the garage hanging up....LOL

btnj47
05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I would totally buy a new trimmer if it rotated clockwise im tired of walking backwards. thinking of getting a curved shaft altough i dont like them much

Roger
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
... im tired of walking backwards. ....

Just switch the trimmer to the other hand, and walk forward. Learn to work from both sides. In the beginning the odd-handed trimming may be awkward, but quickly you will adjust. I decided shortly after getting my straight-shafted trimmer many years ago, "... you have GOT to learn to use it left-handed so that you don't walk backwards." After a short while, either hand works just as well. If I can learned at many, many years older than you, non-athletic, poorly coordinated, most likely you can learn too.

naturescape
05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Just switch the trimmer to the other hand, and walk forward. Learn to work from both sides. In the beginning the odd-handed trimming may be awkward, but quickly you will adjust. I decided shortly after getting my straight-shafted trimmer many years ago, "... you have GOT to learn to use it left-handed so that you don't walk backwards." After a short while, either hand works just as well. If I can learned at many, many years older than you, non-athletic, poorly coordinated, most likely you can learn too.

On my trimmer with the Edgit, I do use it left-handed, but for edging only ("dragging" the trimmer behind me). I have tried that many times for trimming, but just cannot get used to it.

Turf Dawg
05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
I hate walking backward. I always loose my feet and find my arse. In heavy grass and along chain-link I have to though so I sure wish someone would make a straight/clockwise trimmer.