PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in the rain?

WHIPPLE5.7
05-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Its been raining hard here for 5 days straight. A couple of weeks ago it started raining during one of my jobs and it turned out looking like total crap compared to normal. I bag mow 90% of my yards and all that water just doesn't work out when you are bag mowing. Anyway I see all these other guys around here mowing in a complete downpour. I can't believe the customers are ok with all the ZTR rutting and extreme clump piles laying everywhere. Do you guys mow in the really bad rain storms?

KrayzKajun
05-25-2008, 07:00 PM
only way i mow in downpour is if im almost done when it starts. why sacrifice quality jus to get it done, then next time you have to fix wht you messed up!

now if its jus drizzling on and off all day, i'll be out mowing, keeps you cool!

Uranus
05-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Really bad rain storms, NO. If it is a drizzle then yes all day. I watch the radar on my cell phone. I try to plan around the radar. Some times its wrong, but it gives you a good idea on how long you have until the heavy rain gets to you. No point in starting a condo or large neighborhood if you only have an hour till the rain gets to you.

rodfather
05-25-2008, 07:34 PM
eliminate the bagging, just mow and side discharge, and then run your Z over the wind rows of clumps in the transport postion (5" or so) with blades engaged on your second run...it will look fine, trust me.

J&R Landscaping
05-25-2008, 07:38 PM
This past week (with the exception of Tuesday) we had pop up showers a lot. I will mow with off and on showers. Otherwise, you'll be stopping and starting and just wasting a lot of time. If it starts raining heavily, I would take a break but if its light rain, keep on rolling!

WHIPPLE5.7
05-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Well at this point there is up to 3" of standing water in low spots of yards. We have been getting hit hard. I think I'll hit in the morning if it lets up and just end up loosing a week of profits because thats about where I'm at right now.

nosparkplugs
05-25-2008, 08:31 PM
you need a Walker on your trailer:hammerhead:The Walker is the only mower I have owned that can mow in the rain or immediatly after the rain or at night with dew, and produce a maincured cut. It's nice to not have to stop because of a 30 minute thundershower, never go back to mulching. Most posts you read of new Walker owers are of higher profits less down time due to weather among a long list of superior design points. Just getting over the "bagging" sterotype is the first step.