PDA

View Full Version : if i had a nickel for everytime.............

lawnwizards
05-25-2008, 06:41 PM
someone started a thread about gas prices, i'd be very well off by now. if gas going up 50 cents a gallon is eating into your budget so much, then maybe you need to get into another line of work or look at your bottom line and figure out how much to charge. anyone else agree with me?

KrayzKajun
05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Ditto!!! high gas prices knocks out the fly by night lawn operations

CAT MAN
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I want to start a mowing company when Im 16 and I see gas can affect us, but like everything else you raise your price. Am I right

Mowing Freak
05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Well must be nice for fuel to only be .50 higher in your area but in my area it has almost doubled since last year and most of that increase happened in the last 2 months. What makes it even worse, there is a refinery right in town and you can go 30 to 45 miles away and get fuel that comes from the same refinery cheaper.

WHIPPLE5.7
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Well I'm happy for you if the fuel prices and other increases because of it(food, tires, mowers, mower parts, etc.)aren't affecting you. As for the rest the rest of us I think I can safely say it is hurting us in some way or another. Customers are getting crabby and shopping for cheaper lawn guys to offset their gas, food, and other price increases. Hell some people who haven't mowed their own lawn in 10 years are starting to do their own again. These increases are killing this country and if you can't clearly see that you must have way too much money so feel free to Paypal me about $10,000 or so because I could sure use it.

CAT MAN
05-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Man the way you guys talk its not worth making a company maybe I will just go get a job on the rail road as a engineer

DLCS
05-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Our gas prices have went up .50 in the past month. Averaging .10 a week.:hammerhead: You can only raise your prices so much until people will drop you. With prices going up this much this quick into the season, what will they be in the late summer? You can't raise prices mid season. How about the price of groceries and everthing else needed, gas prices is affecting the price of everything. I can't believe there are people not worried about this, its not just what you pay for gas, its everyting else needed for survival. If you think this is weeding out the fly by nights you are sadly mistaken. many are turnign to mowing and landscaping as ways to provide extra needed income. Wake up!

lawnspecialties
05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Right now until things level off, keep your overhead low. Hopefully, this constant increase will finally top out and as time goes by, the economy will adjust.

1MajorTom
05-25-2008, 09:47 PM
When we started our business, gas was at .99 cents a gallon.
It's not about the gas prices NOW, it's about how bad it is going to get.
Gas prices affect everything. It's not about paying more at the pump right now, it's about how scared are the customers going to get when gas hits 6 bucks gallon, 8 bucks a gallon? Customers are going to be running scared, and they are going to start thinking, "should I really be spending 200 bucks a month in lawn service, maybe I can start cutting this myself?"
NOW is not the problem... .it's the UNSEEN FUTURE.

shovelracer
05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Our gas prices have went up .50 in the past month. Averaging .10 a week.:hammerhead: You can only raise your prices so much until people will drop you. With prices going up this much this quick into the season, what will they be in the late summer? You can't raise prices mid season. How about the price of groceries and everthing else needed, gas prices is affecting the price of everything. I can't believe there are people not worried about this, its not just what you pay for gas, its everyting else needed for survival. If you think this is weeding out the fly by nights you are sadly mistaken. many are turnign to mowing and landscaping as ways to provide extra needed income. Wake up!

I agree there are a lot more wanna be landscapers this year than in the past few. The problem is that these guys are charging too little and even though they may be covering their small overhead, they wont make enough in the long run to survive long term. The real problem is that these jokers keep the homeowners thinking they can get their acre mowed for $35 like they did 10 years ago thereby lessening the amount of good clients available to the real LCO. Long term these guys wont be around and the market they take up isnt a market that any established company wants anyway. So yes gas has gone up, and likewise the cost of heating, lighting, milk, everything has and will go up accordingly. This was predicted long before the season started however, and anyone who has been around awhile would have known to charge accordingly for it. So are things expensive, yes. Should you be careful with your spending, probably. Are you going to make it through the year, maybe. Should you have taken the necessary measures to properly prepare for this year without being worried about your fuel costs and living expenses, most definitely. Anyone complaining that gas is killing them has no one to blame but themselves, and these flyby nighters going around without a clue as to proper taxation, licensing, registrations will get what is coming to them and I will be ready to buy their slightly used mowers in a few months when they are forced to shut down.

CAT MAN
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
If I get into lawn mowing as a way of life I want to do it right and charge acording, but these guys I see with a piece of crap mower in the back of there truck charging to little they will never make it they dont mow enough to make it, they all think it is a good way to make money which it is if you do it right I see the little guys going out of business just because they dont charge acording to the lawns they mow and they dont have the proper equitment!

lawnwizards
05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
When we started our business, gas was at .99 cents a gallon.
It's not about the gas prices NOW, it's about how bad it is going to get.
Gas prices affect everything. It's not about paying more at the pump right now, it's about how scared are the customers going to get when gas hits 6 bucks gallon, 8 bucks a gallon? Customers are going to be running scared, and they are going to start thinking, "should I really be spending 200 bucks a month in lawn service, maybe I can start cutting this myself?"
NOW is not the problem... .it's the UNSEEN FUTURE.
regardless to how high gas gets, there will always be plenty of customers out there. everyone needs to find their niche in the market and exploit it. i'm just tired of seeing people constantly complaining about the rising gas prices but arent doing anything to offset the costs. you know proper tire inflation, not using the ac. jack rabbit starts. using an f-350 to pull a 4x8 trailer. its the simple things. goodluck to everyone and dont let the gas prices scare you.

topsites
05-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Oh look, another thread concerning the price of fuel :p

i'm just tired of seeing people constantly complaining about the rising gas prices but arent doing anything to offset the costs. you know proper tire inflation, not using the ac. jack rabbit starts. using an f-350 to pull a 4x8 trailer. its the simple things.

That's my whole problem, too...
The never ending complaints from one end, yet the fair to total disregard and in ways lack of respect on the other.
Did you know, something like 98% of all drivers operate their vehicles in highly inefficient ways?

Just take it easy someday, putt putt along and watch this joke...
Folks accelerating from one light, and they're not jackrabitting per se but when the next light just turned yellow they act like they don't see it... They keep on going until they HAVE to hit their brakes just up the road and stop, again.
If, instead, they had just putt-putted along at 15-20mph (or some other reasonable 'average' speed) they just MIGHT have never had to even slow down again, I do this all the time anymore, just take it easy, more so if you can SEE up the road there's more blockage in the way.

Wth is the big rush with all these Nascar rejects anyhow?
Just take it easy...
It does help, old folks drive slow for a REASON, and it ain't because they're decrepit lol
I would've never thought of it in younger years, but old folks drive slow because they know a thing or two.
So, drive like the proverbial old man or old lady.
I am astonished at how much fuel that saves.

And tires and brakes and everything else gets less wear and tear on it too, a LOT less.
I've easily doubled the lifetime of my brake pads alone, the tire wear has gone down so much they are literally dry rotting before the tread is halfway worn down. Driving nice and easy makes a BIG difference!

Chop Stuff Up
05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm literally throwing out over $800 more per month in fuel than I was last year on ONE local parts delivery route and I'm not making a penny more to go towards it. And there's too many dumbasses out there that would jump on my work in a heartbeat for the same price. And I was tired of getting dumped each year on so many lawns because some guy would do it for $20, and I'd look at the poor quality of the cut and could not believe... its like people don't even care about quality anymore except for a select few. They just don't want to have to do it theirself.

gutpiles
05-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I am blessed to have 90% of my accounts in a 5 mile loop, but still diesel is getting ridiculous. I was talking to the owner of one of the biggest comps in the area and he is paying 50 grand a month in fuel:dizzy: