PDA

View Full Version : Checked out the BadBoy mowers

mybowtie
05-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I was in MI this weekend for a wedding, and had time to kill. So I looked up the nearest Badboy dealer. I was impressed. What a simple but effective desine. Would be so easy to clean as there is no nooks and crannies to get clogged up. Very easy to preform work/maintenance. Took it for a spin in his parking lot and lawn. Was fast, but not as smooth as my ferris. Couldnt test the cut, lawn was cut already. It was a Lightning with a 26 lc kaw.

I hope a dealer comes to my area. Very nice machine.....:usflag:

tb8100
05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
they're setting new dealers up all the time. Its only a matter of time!

nosparkplugs
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
no local BB dealers here in memphis, So as I have said no service after the sale, what a Joke

retrodog
05-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Be patient my friend, they will be there its only a matter of time. There are dealers around us begging to sell them....lol. There are orange mowers running around everywhere here.......We had a guy from both Tyler and Plano Tx drive over last week and pick some up, both were around 3 hours away. They weren't really worried about getting them serviced, because they have heard the unusual stories about how BB goes out of their way to make customers happy, plus i mean these things are so simple to work on, anyone could do it. We swapped an engine on one the other day, all we did was take 4 bolts of the back end, and the whole back panel just came right off, after doing that it took me prolly a total of 30 minutes to do the swap! It takes about 2 minutes to put a belt on these things, and talk about easy to grease and change the fluids, everything just opens right up. Your local idiot that fixes push mowers in his back yard could prolly do everything you have to do one of these....its so easy, all while you could just call the factory parts department direct, and have parts overnighted to your house.......or your local idiots house for all that matters....lol I drove 3 hours to pick my first Bad Boy up, and I had no doubt in my mind when leaving that if I was down, that dealer (or the factory) would do everything possible to get me up again.

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 12:06 AM
not going to drive three hours for any mower? so you recommend idiots work on BB or Cat diesel, sounds like excuse's for lack of dealerships, and support I hear what your saying, but listen to what i am am saying if i had or have a problem with a Kubota diesel, Scag, John deere or walker I can, and have taken it to the local dealer trained service tech no backyard shop with uneducated dude or BS, and I'm back mowing the same day limited loss of time or money. I visited the BB website again looking at the AOS 35hp cat diesel looks like their financing through a small local bank, and no clear interest rate??. The light kit looks too small for the night mowing I do, yes their HID's, but nothing replaces large lights

retrodog
05-26-2008, 12:19 AM
not going to drive three hours for any mower? so you recommend idiots work on BB or Cat diesel, sounds like excuse's for lack of dealerships, and support I hear what your saying, but listen to what i am am saying if i had or have a problem with a Kubota diesel, Scag, John deere or walker I can, and have taken it to the local dealer trained service tech no backyard shop with uneducated dude or BS, and I'm back mowing the same day limited loss of time or money. I visited the BB website again looking at the AOS 35hp cat diesel looks like their financing through a small local bank, and no clear interest rate??. The light kit looks too small for the night mowing I do, yes their HID's, but nothing replaces large lights

0% for 2 years, 2.9% 3 years......6.9% for 5 years

tb8100
05-26-2008, 12:26 AM
so you recommend idiots work on BB or Cat diesel, sounds like excuse's for lack of dealerships, I hear what your saying, but listen to what i am am saying if i had or have a problem with a Kubota diesel, Scag, John deere or walker I can, and have take it to the local dealer trained service tech no backyard shop with uneducated dude or BS, and I'm back mowing the same day limited loss of time or money. I visited the BB website again looking at the AOS 35hp cat diesel looks like their financing through a small local bank, and no clear interest rate??. The light kit looks too small for the night mowing I do, yes their HID's, but nothing replaces large lights

Nosparkplugs...nobody's making excuses for Bad Boy's dealer network. Talk to any Bad Boy dealer- rates on all Bad Boys through First Community Bank include 6.9% for 60mo. The 60 month program is appealing to alot of folks as they have a low payment and there's no prepayment penalty.

The HIDs pretty bright. You should try them
out before you bash them.

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 12:30 AM
0% for 2 years, 2.9% 3 years......6.9% for 5 years
nice

If i were to purchase another midmount ZTR it would be a diesel & most likely a BB AOS 35 HP CAT & 72 deck, or the Kubota ZD331, service after the sale is more important than a cheap priced mower.

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Be patient my friend, they will be there its only a matter of time. There are dealers around us begging to sell them....lol. There are orange mowers running around everywhere here.......We had a guy from both Tyler and Plano Tx drive over last week and pick some up, both were around 3 hours away. They weren't really worried about getting them serviced, because they have heard the unusual stories about how BB goes out of their way to make customers happy, plus i mean these things are so simple to work on, anyone could do it. We swapped an engine on one the other day, all we did was take 4 bolts of the back end, and the whole back panel just came right off, after doing that it took me prolly a total of 30 minutes to do the swap! It takes about 2 minutes to put a belt on these things, and talk about easy to grease and change the fluids, everything just opens right up. Your local idiot that fixes push mowers in his back yard could prolly do everything you have to do one of these....its so easy, all while you could just call the factory parts department direct, and have parts overnighted to your house.......or your local idiots house for all that matters....lol I drove 3 hours to pick my first Bad Boy up, and I had no doubt in my mind when leaving that if I was down, that dealer (or the factory) would do everything possible to get me up again.

Retrodog, I admit I don't know much about the Bad Boy's. I usually stay with the name brands that have been around for years and have a proven track record. You seem to be more knowledgeable than most on the company so give us some information. Where did the company originate? Was it a brainstorm in a fabrication shop somewhere or an established company that decided to get into the ZTR business? I'm looking for the origins of the company and how they came up with the design of the Bad Boy. Exmark, John Deere, Scag, etc has a lot tied up (and plenty of money for more) in the Research and Development dept. to come up with the mowers and deck design. Exmark was an unknown at one time till they started kicking Toro's hind parts so what's the story behind Bad Boy. I'm reserving judgment for a few years. I'm not sure if they are going to be a top contender or a one hit wonder. I'm all ears and say this with the utmost respect for a new and upcoming company. :usflag:

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Retrodog, I admit I don't know much about the Bad Boy's. I usually stay with the name brands that have been around for years and have a proven track record. You seem to be more knowledgeable than most on the company so give us some information. Where did the company originate? Was it a brainstorm in a fabrication shop somewhere or an established company that decided to get into the ZTR business? I'm looking for the origins of the company and how they came up with the design of the Bad Boy. Exmark, John Deere, Scag, etc has a lot tied up (and plenty of money for more) in the Research and Development dept. to come up with the mowers and deck design. Exmark was an unknown at one time till they started kicking Toro's hind parts so what's the story behind Bad Boy. I'm reserving judgment for a few years. I'm not sure if they are going to be a top contender or a one hit wonder. I'm all ears and say this with the utmost respect for a new and upcoming company. :usflag:

tacoma200,

have you been to the Bad Boy website?, it;s well designed & will answer your questions.

retrodog
05-26-2008, 02:02 AM

Hey, don't know a whole lot on the origination, although I have seen the first mower the owner had built in his garage. He started building the mowers with the goal to be the best built, least problamatic, easiest to work on, and the lowest price mower out. Since 98 they have been building these things, and have recently become the fastest zero turn company in the country. The company has no debt whatsover, is releasing a new utility vehicle line this year that is unbelievable, and recently purchased the boeng jet manufacturing facility, they aren't going anywhere. The build quality and price of these machines are unbelievable compared to anything out in the industry right now. The neat thing about the company is that they listen to dealer and customer feedback, and make major changes every year. They are the only company I have seen that actually makes changes in their product each year. They did take some features from some of the other brands, and all and all tried to make the best of the best. The air baffling system on the decks are a take off from the exmark ultra cut design, and the hydro systems are a take off of the dixie chopper, kinda getting the best out of the whole market. One of the companies goals I have heard is to be the Harley Davidson of Lawn Mowers. Their growth numbers are staggering these past 3 years, and this year they opened up a brand new production facility. Hands down you get the most mower for your mower period. As far as answering your question on the origination, I have heard the story, but hate to put on here and get something wrong, just have tidbits talking to the guys on the phone and at the factory. I know he had a little financial backing to get started, and I believe a neighbor came over to his garage and saw the mower he had built and said it was a bad boy, and therefore the name stuck. I have seen this company go waaaay out of the box to make customers happy (including me with my mower flipping off my trailer going down the highway). For instance, I have a customer right now that bought a Cat diesel from me and a Pup. His governor messed up on the Cat at around 60hours, and I called Cat to fix. The field guy was out for over a week and a half, so I took the mower to the cat shop myself (over 100 miles away). When I got it back to the customer, it had an oil leak out of the motor (cat issue when putting motor back together), so again another trip to the Cat mechanic to fix their issue. I pick up only to find that the exhaust is cracked now. BB sends new exhaust and I put on. When customer goes to start mowing the PTO won't engage, he swings it by my house (on Saturday evening) and I fix for him. At this point the customer is unhappy, I'm unhappy blah blah. I get a call from Bad Boy, and they credited my account for nearly $1000 for free shipping on my mowers for my inconvenience , and for taking care of my customer. Not only that, BB is bringing my customer a Brand new $12195 unit for his inconvenience (of course taking the old one back). Not only that, but the issues were all Cat related, and really had no relation to BB at all, is that not crazy? I am selling these machines really good this year, and I was a little nervous about having an unhappy customer like this because it would only slow down sales...I don't have to worry about that anymore...lol. Also had a policeman here that had bought the 60" from TSC, he ran over a steel pipe and broke a spindle, and cracked the top of the deck. BB brought him down a new deck, put it on the machine, and when asked how much to charge, said nothing, they were just amazed that someone actually broke the deck. That along with many other incidents should have been insurance claims, not warranty work, but they came through more than they had too. Prolly the reason we became a Gold dealer our first year selling these things.

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey, don't know a whole lot on the origination, although I have seen the first mower the owner had built in his garage. He started building the mowers with the goal to be the best built, least problamatic, easiest to work on, and the lowest price mower out. Since 98 they have been building these things, and have recently become the fastest zero turn company in the country. The company has no debt whatsover, is releasing a new utility vehicle line this year that is unbelievable, and recently purchased the boeng jet manufacturing facility, they aren't going anywhere. The build quality and price of these machines are unbelievable compared to anything out in the industry right now. The neat thing about the company is that they listen to dealer and customer feedback, and make major changes every year. They are the only company I have seen that actually makes changes in their product each year. They did take some features from some of the other brands, and all and all tried to make the best of the best. The air baffling system on the decks are a take off from the exmark ultra cut design, and the hydro systems are a take off of the dixie chopper, kinda getting the best out of the whole market. One of the companies goals I have heard is to be the Harley Davidson of Lawn Mowers. Their growth numbers are staggering these past 3 years, and this year they opened up a brand new production facility. Hands down you get the most mower for your mower period. As far as answering your question on the origination, I have heard the story, but hate to put on here and get something wrong, just have tidbits talking to the guys on the phone and at the factory. I know he had a little financial backing to get started, and I believe a neighbor came over to his garage and saw the mower he had built and said it was a bad boy, and therefore the name stuck. I have seen this company go waaaay out of the box to make customers happy (including me with my mower flipping off my trailer going down the highway). For instance, I have a customer right now that bought a Cat diesel from me and a Pup. His governor messed up on the Cat at around 60hours, and I called Cat to fix. The field guy was out for over a week and a half, so I took the mower to the cat shop myself (over 100 miles away). When I got it back to the customer, it had an oil leak out of the motor (cat issue when putting motor back together), so again another trip to the Cat mechanic to fix their issue. I pick up only to find that the exhaust is cracked now. BB sends new exhaust and I put on. When customer goes to start mowing the PTO won't engage, he swings it by my house (on Saturday evening) and I fix for him. At this point the customer is unhappy, I'm unhappy blah blah. I get a call from Bad Boy, and they credited my account for nearly $1000 for free shipping on my mowers for my inconvenience , and for taking care of my customer. Not only that, BB is bringing my customer a Brand new $12195 unit for his inconvenience (of course taking the old one back). Not only that, but the issues were all Cat related, and really had no relation to BB at all, is that not crazy? I am selling these machines really good this year, and I was a little nervous about having an unhappy customer like this because it would only slow down sales...I don't have to worry about that anymore...lol. Also had a policeman here that had bought the 60" from TSC, he ran over a steel pipe and broke a spindle, and cracked the top of the deck. BB brought him down a new deck, put it on the machine, and when asked how much to charge, said nothing, they were just amazed that someone actually broke the deck. That along with many other incidents should have been insurance claims, not warranty work, but they came through more than they had too. Prolly the reason we became a Gold dealer our first year selling these things.

Well thank you very much for your input. I try not to judge a ZTR or be brand loyal. The ZTR market is a hard one to crack and get into but Exmark made a name for it's self and was quickly bought up by Toro so it can happen. I will keep a close eye on Bad Boy. I have heard nothing negative about them so far and am taking a wait and see attitude in this competitive market.

retrodog
05-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Looking back, I really didn't answer your question, but maybe my rep, or someone from BB will see this and chime in with the whole story. I know the founder was tired of seeing these $10000 lawn mowers every where always in the shop, and the people that bought them getting huge bills for the fixes because it took so long. I had a Grasshopper, so I kinda feel the same way, in 179 hours I threw 4 hydro belts, and it is a pain in the neck to replace them! Not to mention having to pull my truck and trailer down in a doctor's fresh laid sod to pick my stinking $13000 mower up...just a little rant myself...lol. He wanted to build the best of the best. Everything on the BadBoy is over done and over built (not distastefully of course). 9 quart hydro reservoir, the front castors are ridiculous (our Kubota shop is trying to figure out a way to put them on their units...lol), the framing is stout, don't forget the deck...1/4 inch thick come on, thats unbelievabe itself this thing should be on a huge industrial brush hog, huge gas tanks (my Hopper had a 4 gallon tank), 15mph, huge parker pumps, and then lets not forget the price points. According to the Commercial mowing industry, Bad Boy is pricing their new mowers at used prices across the board. I mean, for a 33.5 Cat Ferris 2 years old with a couple of hundred hours on it, you would expect to still pay between 11 and $12000 for it, and you can get a brand new 35hp BB for that. My favorite is the lightning series, and I went to every mower dealer in my area, pestered them to death demoing etc, to make sure I get the best second mower I can find. No other mower compared to the 26hp LC Lightning for under $10000, and I paid $7495 for my Bad Boy. I admit, i miss the front deck on my hopper for closer cutting and easier access under the deck, but for the ease of maintenance, cut quality and speed, and comfortable ride, the BB is hands down the only mower i will own right now. It they would make a front deck with their suspension, power, and speed, I truly believe that there will never be another front deck mower sold from any another company (except maybe Walker for the few extremely picky customers some of you have).

MJB
05-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Well after all my demos I didn't find anything I like other than Exmark and their not an option now either. The dealer is a jerk and won't even sell me what I wanted. I'm very close to ordering a Lightning with the 26L/C Kawi, the mulch kit, and pedal assist. I think thats all the options I would need. What would that run me about $8500?

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 03:03 AM
$8,500 is cheap now a days

MJB
05-26-2008, 03:14 AM
$8,500 is cheap now a days

I'm not sure what it would be to ship it up here just guessing, The machine is $7995 I believe with the 60" deck. If I like it at all I would put my Hustler up for sale and get another after I run it for a while. I'm ready for a change it seems all the good dealers are to far away to be of benefit to me. The rest change mower lines every 5 yrs and I'm back to square one. I can drive 6 hrs and pick 1 up but don't have time to do that. But I like the company I've talked to the factory and have some info coming I can share with some potential BB dealers. I'm gonna try to get a dealer locally to pick it up.
Go to there website and watch the video of the biker, he's riding into Batesville Arkansas, to the factory. Its very impressive if you have not seen it.

chesterlawn
05-26-2008, 07:17 AM
A true landscaper, out for a wedding and still checking out mowers.

mybowtie
05-26-2008, 07:39 AM
A true landscaper, out for a wedding and still checking out mowers.

LOL My brother said the same thing to me...Told him I drove a total of 1650 miles to look at a mower, and took in a wedding to kill time lol.:usflag:

marthanmike1959
05-26-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm in the market for a z turn wanted a bad boy and im paying cash be prepaired to pay full retail price dealer would not come down a dime i called bad boy in batesville and talked to sales rep thats the way their network works i asked the rep does he pay sticker price for a new car or full price for a used one he said he didn't. I was not not rude with him but i said then don't expect me to pay retail for your product. Emark for me

retrodog
05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm in the market for a z turn wanted a bad boy and im paying cash be prepaired to pay full retail price dealer would not come down a dime i called bad boy in batesville and talked to sales rep thats the way their network works i asked the rep does he pay sticker price for a new car or full price for a used one he said he didn't. I was not not rude with him but i said then don't expect me to pay retail for your product. Emark for me

Bad Boy has a different pricing structure. They have one good price and thats it. They will allow us to discount demoes, and units with a little time on them. Bad Boy builds to order, so its not like they have units sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Sometimes I will eat the set-up and destination, or throw in some options for a cash customer, but thats about the best we can do as dealers. The exmark in the caliber as the Lightning is gonna run you $10000 cash, and you can get a lightning for $7995 retail.... even though its sticker, its an excellent price. Not to mention you get the Michigan seat, suspension, 1/4 inch deck, and 14mph standard with BB. Funny thing is at the cash (or cutter price they call it) on the Exmark the dealer is still making more profit than a BB Dealer selling retail. That is why you see alot of Bad Boy dealers actually charging more than MSRP, so they can try to make the same money they are used to making on the other brands they carry. Example, if I took on Dixie Choppers right now, and sold even a Classic at full retail, the profit would be like selling 2 Bad Boys. Most Dixie dealers sell the unit at the Cash price anyways. Just because BB dealers don't come off price doesn't mean your not getting a hell of a deal, their pricing structure is different than most in the industry that have a retail, and then a cutter price. And yeah, the 60" 26hp Kawa is $7995, the foot assist is $179 (if ordered with machine), and the mulching kit is $199. Add the set-up and destination, and thats about what your looking at. Had a local LCO call me Saturday, he runs 2 exmarks, he asked if I could bring my rig out and help him get caught up. One of the guys that worked for him bought a Bad Boy hisself, and started mowing yards, he said that his 52" Lightning out cuts the 48" and the 60" exmark put together because of the speed. He kinda got in over his head this year getting alot of parks and ball fields, and realizes how much can be mowed with these things. We take a 52", and a 60" lightning and mow everything our housing authority has in 5 and 1/2 hours. It is 4 huge properties, with prolly about 55 houses, and one big property that looks like a huge apartment complex. We can just blow through it without losing cut quality.

retrodog
05-26-2008, 09:26 AM

If you are comparing like buying cars here is the deal. Its not hyundai versus chevy, its like buying a 1500 chevy for $9800, or getting a more heavy duty 2500 for $7995. If you are buying the lighter duty at the $9800, you are still getting a nice machine that will get you around, but if you shop and look and not go with the crowd you will find that 2500 for cheaper money. Thats how I look at Bad Boy, I blindly paid $13000 for a Grasshopper that did a mediocre job, and was hard to get worked on which in turn was causing me major down time, on my second mower I shopped around everywhere at every dealer and didn't take into effect brands or what everyone else was using this time. The 26hp Liquid Cooled Kawa 52" for $7495 came in the back of mind at every dealership, and ultimately what I bought. I cut my cutting time in almost half, and my cut quality was twice as good, I got rid of the Hopper fast, because it made me almost half the money the BB made, and cost twice as much. Go with the exmark, but here is something to think about too, for $8995 to $11295, you can get a 27hp LC Kawa with 16cc pumps, a 35hp Vanguard, or a 28hp Caterpillar diesel from Bad Boy. Hell for that matter, you can get a 31hp Kawasaki Pup from Bad Boy for $7295. Just think about what you are looking at in price comparison at the Exmark dealer, what the 26hp LC kawa 12cc pumps, no suspension, and they want an extra $400 for the Michigan seat? 7 to 10 guage decks, I mean just compare the front castors to one another, that alone is prolly an extra $200 worth on the BB. Just do this for me, price you exmark, then take that price and see what the bb dealer has for that, and ride on both. Let me know what your common sense tells you to do......

retrodog
05-26-2008, 09:34 AM
dang, I prolly look like a ****** with all these posts about Bad Boy, but I feel like I am helping you guys out tremendously by getting you to just check out what they have. I know it helped me open my eyes, if one company can offer a mower like this for this price, all of them can, and eventually will if they want their product to keep selling. After visiting with some of the local dealers here, and going over some numbers, I strongly believe that BB is the best seller in my area this year out of the major brands here. They sell theirself, I stopped a guy this weekend that bought a brand new exmark, and had it on his trailer. I had a lightning with me and asked if he wanted to mow with it, after mowing on it, he said he should have stopped, he just thought they were like the chinese four wheelers after hearing what some people had paid for theirs, asked me if I would consider a trade in......lol.

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
How can you run a effective BB dealership, and be running around helping other LCO maintain their accounts with free use of BB mowers?? Either your full of BS, or have started something unique, and reminiscence of the way business use to be, before proift margins were more important than customer service.

While you ramble on about how the BB AOS Cat customer was down & BB was on it, and it seems to me that it was too long, and you only talk about how BB treats you "your $1,000 credit. What about the Cat customer???If that was me, I would be really pissed off, and wanting someone's job? maybe kick your ass too LOL; I don't play, sounds like your a good BS'er with these "minor" down times would not work with me. You cannot run a effective dealership out of a backyard or enclosed trailer. I really could care less if you come pick up my mower, I want it fixed today no loaner unless it's justified, and the same model if I have a diesel I want a diesel loaner. The more I read the more I will be waiting to purchase a BB diesel sorry.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Bad Boy has been around since 1998, so 10 years is a good track record! It's not 25 years like Scag, but it's a great start. I've only heard bits and pieces of how the company started out, but I have the general gist anyhow. Enter the late 1990s. Philip Pulley was a successful businessman with a company called Fireworks world. He had been running this business since 1982. Robert Foster was in the tire business, and if I know Robert, doing very well with it; however, my understanding is he wanted to get into something a little more exciting. Robert is the kind of guy that is always inventing something. Like Albert Einstein, he had no college degree, but also like Einstein, he's a friggen genius. This guy has dual pHDs in Business Management and Engineering from the School of Hard Knox. I actually wouldn't have been able to tell he had no college education just by talking to him. Anyway, Robert had been toying with zero turn designs for quite awhile, and approached Phil with a mower design and a business proposal. Soon after, their brain child was born, Bad Boy Mowers Inc. Phil is actually still running Fireworks World, but they're kinda quiet about it. I don't know how large Fireworks World is, whether it's a separate venture, or an actual extension of the Bad Boy Mowers Corporation, or what, but I hear it's doing VERY well, as is Bad Boy. Last year, when many companies were laying off employees and sales were down across the board, Bad Boy actually grew its sales more than 300% and increased its staff from 50 people to 125. Now its fast approaching 140 if it hasn't gotten there yet. Don't let the number of employees fool you though. These guys really crank out the mowers. They've got laser cutters, robotic welders, and a powder coating system designed by Robert Foster himself capable of coating 2000 mowers per day with only 15 people running it. The warranty claims department is just 2 people, Dustin and Bill (great guys). They can do so much with so little up there, it's crazy. Something else though, how many other companies have only 2 guys in the warranty department?? This definitely goes to show how reliable these mowers are.

Though both Phil and Robert are very astute businessmen, I like to think of Phil as the more business-minded guy and Robert as the design genius (these are more or less their roles). Robert does a majority of the designing up there, and heads an R&D crew. They're pretty one-track minded right now with their utility vehicle, the Multi-Terrain Vehicle (MTV for short). Once they go into production on this machine, I imagine they'll get back to refining their mower lineup. I hear right now they're revamping the foot assist pedal system. When I heard that, I called them up and told them to change the pedal to a knurled bar and include a spring assist and a transport position. They're super at listening to dealer and customer input, so I know they're gonna make it good. By 2009, every Bad Boy will likely have a foot assist system standard. But back to the story, they've toyed around with alot of different products to round out their lineup. I am constantly telling them if they come out with a wide area walk-behind, it will definitely help propel them to the top. As it is right now, they're forcing their dealers and customers to use multiple brands to get a complete rig. They've looked at handhelds, compact tractors, and a number of different items. I think in 5 years Bad Boy will have a front mount mower and wide area walks. If the MTV takes off, they could even go the direction of ATVs. Who knows?

As far as the way they reached their mower design, the Ferris and Dixie Chopper influence is pretty obvious, but on things like the deck, who knows. Maybe they designed that in-house, maybe they contracted that out. One thing's for sure, they're building a great machine at a phenomenal price. As you can see from the small snapshot that I've given you of the company, you don't have to build your mowers in China to beat the competition's prices.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
How can you run a effective BB dealership, and be running around helping other LCO maintain their accounts with free use of BB mowers?? Either your full of BS, or have started something unique, and reminiscence of the way business use to be, before proift margins were more important than customer service.

Demos are the most effective means of advertising. Lots of dealers do at least some of what Kevin is doing. However, most are too lazy or too busy to be as aggressive as that. Kevin also is an LCO, so if he runs into competitors in town, they can just use his. He's already out in the field, so he's not making special trips and what not. Still, he's doing a super job and that's why he's doing phenomenally well this year with them.

retrodog
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM

While you ramble on about how the BB AOS Cat customer was down & BB was on it, and it seems to me that it was too long, and you only talk about how BB treats you "your $1,000 credit. What about the Cat customer???If that was me, I would be really pissed off, and wanting someone's job? maybe kick your ass too LOL; I don't play, sounds like your a good BS'er with these "minor" down times would not work with me. You cannot run a effective dealership out of a backyard or enclosed trailer. I really could care less if you come pick up my mower, I want it fixed today no loaner unless it's justified, and the same model if I have a diesel I want a diesel loaner. The more I read the more I will be waiting to purchase a BB diesel sorry.

Did you not see the part that I typed about the company bringing the customer a brand new mower. That is unheard of dude! John Deere has major issues on their new line up, and they are offering a $500 discount on a bigger machine for their trouble! They are having to pay more money to buy another John Deere to fix the problem. Could you imagine if Deere just brought a new mower to their customers house when they found out they were having problems with it? They would be delivering thousands (which they should do, or recall the product)! Read the post on the John Deere problems. The issues with the mower were actually Caterpillar's fault, and any other mower company would be passing the buck to them! If Bad Boy can do it, why can't everyone else. We have 2 dealership shops with mechanics, and yes occasionally locals will purchase parts and mowers from my home. I also go out to my customer homes delivering their machines to show them how to properly use them and go over maintenance with them. We also have a glass business, a landscaping business and we mantain 31 accounts as a LCO. All while offering free pick up and delivery for warranty work on peoples mowers. And yes, I lend out my mowers to people for free, and sometimes help out fellow LCO's when they get behind cause I have such a big rig myself. It will only lead to more mower sales for me so why not? I started a mower dealership for the simple fact that I feel like people that purchase commercial grade lawnmowers aren't treated right here (including myself with a $13000 Grasshopper purchase). It is May now, and this is my first year selling zero turns. We have sold our 60th unit already, and my goal was only 30 for the whole year! I actually care about people, and I think it is getting noticed. I love the mowers, and love meeting new people, and this is the first thing I have ever done to make money that I actually like. I will say this, you are really missing out by not considering them as an option right now jsut cause they are new. Out of the whole market share right now, they have the best thing right now if you can get passed the marketing campaign running. While it is very effective on getting the brand recognition out there, it takes away from the proffessional aspect of the machine.

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
We do right of way mowing I have talked with Scag, John Deere, and Kubota; I'm a straight shooter, and explained that were currently using a slow Kubota MX6800 4x4 tractor, with a 7ft landpride bushog. While the first cut needs to be a bushogg to get it under control; because some of the right of way floods, and we cannot get to it until it dries out. The Kubota Dealership knows us, and refused to warranty a new Kubota diesel ZD331 if we purchased one along with the other Dealers/ brands; because they could not risk what we might be doing or mowing with it? what BS thats why I am looking at BB. While we would not intentionally abuse a Diesel ZTR, it's going to get worked hard 8 hours a day mowing some thick grass in adverse 110 degree, dusty conditions we have overheated the Kubota MX6800 under ideal conditions? I think if anyone could tear up a Bad Boy AOS diesel it would be us, no disrespect, my interest is still strong in the BB diesels; however we do break down from time to time just fact I can fix most of the problems myself, but I cannot afford to have a machine sit on the pipe line overnight. The pipe line uses Cat to service their generators, and their service seems to be prompt.

Happy Frog
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM

No puns intended but here is some buying 101:
Go to your Exmark dealer and negotiate the best deal you can.
Then go to your Bad Boy dealer and see what you can get for the same amount of money.
Chances are that you'll get more for your money at the Bad Boy dealer... :rolleyes:

tb8100
05-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I honestly don't understand why everybody wants to negotiate on the price. Do you haggle down the price when you go to Kroger? How about Lowes? Why then should you be entitled to negotiate at your OPE dealer?

retrodog
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I honestly don't understand why everybody wants to negotiate on the price. Do you haggle down the price when you go to Kroger? How about Lowes? Why then should you be entitled to negotiate at your OPE dealer?

Hey TB, I understand that because I see the pricing structures for the other brands of mowers. Dixie chopper for example, when they were going over their pricing, I saw the msrp, and went wow, thats alot of profit! The rep explained that very few dealers sell them for full retail, they give the cutter price, cash price, or bid assist price to the customers, whereas BB only has one price across the board, no room to undercut each other as dealers, so we are more apt to help out when issues arrise. Here is a good way to look at it, say I wanted to sell BBs on here on this website, and priced them all $100 over cost. Would I be willing to bend over backwards to get that customer serviced, offer a loaner etc. no. Thats the mentality they are preaching, one fair price for everyone, I got in a little trouble actually for discounting a Bad Boy myself a little already..lol.

Hardee's Bush Hogging
05-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I am thinking about getting into some smaller residential and commercial mowing next year, and I am interested in the Bad Boy mowers. But, there are no dealers in West TN. According to the Bad Boy website, the nearest dealer is over 70 miles away.:usflag:

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 03:58 PM

I think of it more like buying a car or home. Negotiation is part of the process. I have always negotiated and saved thousands of dollars but I try to remain loyal to my local dealer if possible. I'm sure there are those that buy a new car and just pay what's on the sticker (including fabric treatments, rust treatments, undercoat, dealer prep, etc). I want them to make a fair profit though.

nosparkplugs
05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
BB is the Saturn no haggle on the sticker price? another would be Carmax

cj4
05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
I personally have ordered and should be getting my Bad Boy in soon.

I appreciate RetroDog's enthusiasm as a dealer and honest comments. If he didn't tell the good with the bad then he would be a BS-hiter........ I called the man at closing time one night when I had questions in making my decision and although i've ordered from a closer dealer, he was extremely helpful and "wanted" to be helpful even though he might not make the sale personally to me. He told me I could drive by his shop after closing on my way to my lake house and look and he even lived close and I could call him. It started raining and I chose not to do it that night but it was nice of him. I will do my best to make him a sale at some point but I have full confidence that if I ever have problems/questions with my Bad Boy I have a friend to turn to. No piece of equipment is gonna be perfect but to see someone excited about a product is refreshing in itself. Honestly, every Bad Boy dealer that I've come into contact with so far has the same kind of enthusiasm, something is going on! I'm sure their excited about having a good product to sell and making some money too, but that's cool. Hat's off to you Retrodog........and keep the info and your experiences coming.........I'm listening!!!

As far as paying list price.......I agree with the gentleman above normally, but it's also been nice to know that I'm not getting screwed by one dealer.....I know I can expect to pay the same for a BB no matter where I buy it....honestly, it's takes a burden off us as purchasers....especially if you feel you're getting a fair value for your purchase.

mybowtie
05-26-2008, 08:34 PM

I appreciate RetroDog's enthusiasm as a dealer and honest comments. If he didn't tell the good with the bad then he would be a BS-hiter........ I called the man at closing time one night when I had questions in making my decision and although i've ordered from a closer dealer, he was extremely helpful and "wanted" to be helpful even though he might not make the sale personally to me. He told me I could drive by his shop after closing on my way to my lake house and look and he even lived close and I could call him. It started raining and I chose not to do it that night but it was nice of him. I will do my best to make him a sale at some point but I have full confidence that if I ever have problems/questions with my Bad Boy I have a friend to turn to. No piece of equipment is gonna be perfect but to see someone excited about a product is refreshing in itself. Honestly, every Bad Boy dealer that I've come into contact with so far has the same kind of enthusiasm, something is going on! I'm sure their excited about having a good product to sell and making some money too, but that's cool. Hat's off to you Retrodog........and keep the info and your experiences coming.........I'm listening!!!

As far as paying list price.......I agree with the gentleman above normally, but it's also been nice to know that I'm not getting screwed by one dealer.....I know I can expect to pay the same for a BB no matter where I buy it....honestly, it's takes a burden off us as purchasers....especially if you feel you're getting a fair value for your purchase.

I like knowing the price is the same at each dealer also. I have been to 2 diff ferris dealers, and the price is often much different, more so on parts. My exmark is getting tired. BB is very near the top of my list. The lack of a close dealer keeps it off the top spot. Hope a dealer takes them on close to me when im ready to buy.:usflag:

cj4
05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I understand your close dealer concerns. I would hope and think though that after you got it if you needed parts you could get the parts dept at the factory to ship it to you. I know that don't help if you need a mechanic but alot of times (like right now with my broke NH tractor) getting it to the dealer and then waiting in line for a week or more, is more irritating and costly than just getting the part and putting it on yourself. Every time my tractor breaks it seems like they are so far behind it sits for days before anyone even thinks about it. I'm going in the morning (even though it's in warranty) and buy the part and fix it by noon (hopefully). Most of the time I'm better off paying out of my pocket than the cost of transporting to and from and then WAITING.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I think of it more like buying a car or home. Negotiation is part of the process.

Why though? Margins are actually lower on OPE at dealers than products at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot? Do you haggle at those stores?

retrodog
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM

I'm glad someone actually appreciates my Bad Boy babble....did you order the lightning? I just got back from a demo, an older couple had an old Dixon front deck, and were needing a new engine, instead of buying a $2000 motor to put on a 12 year old mower, I told them about the new ones. I took three mowers out, and the husband and wife both mowed their yard, the husband just got out of gall bladder surgery, and was interested in the michigan seat and suspension, he said it didn't bother him at all mowing the yard. I left without a check, but they said they would let me know either way in the morning, I am pretty sure they will get the lightning, but I am ordering the engine either way (I will give them trade in on their Dixon). If you did order the lightning, you got more mower than you need, but you got the most mower for your money. How about the 31hp, are you gonna try it, or stick with the 26 lc?

retrodog
05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Why though? Margins are actually lower on OPE at dealers than products at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot? Do you haggle at those stores?

Did you see my post about haggling at Home Depot? You can...lol. They had a Toro Timecutter on sale for $2499, and my grandparents were on a very tight budget last year. It had a little fade from the sun from sitting out front. I asked for a manager, and told him we would load it up on the truck for $1800...he kinda snickered, but called it in anyways, can you believe he went in and brought the ramps up and loaded it up?..lol I have the toro pricing list, and I know it costs more than that for the dealer...lol. Almost like a pawn shop in there, I got a $799 outdoor table set for $175 (it was missing a chair), and a $400 area rug for $50 that was a slow seller, not to mention a John Deere Zero turn that had some scratches on the deck for $2449 (sold it for $2999 at the shop...lol). Doesn't really back up your statement, but I understand. People look at me crazy when they ask what my best cash price is on the Bad Boy, I just say the same one again....lol. There are a few people that are relieved. I called every BB dealer in my 100 mile area on the lightning, and everyone of them said the same thing $7495, although I did have one say he would give me a gas card with it....lol guess where I went. I was alittle disappointed because I wanted to finance, and was told that noone gets approved and it takes hours and stacks of papers, so I should just pay...lol. Kinda got the picture after the hours statement, it wouldn't have done me any good to explain that I have a++ credit...lol. I just slapped it on my 0 % bank of america card, and let him eat the 2.9% or whatever they charge now. I understand now though after becoming a dealer there are dealer particitation fees for financing, but that is 80% of my business! I would rather eat a couple hundred here and there for volume sales, and guaranteed checks!!

tb8100
05-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Did you see my post about haggling at Home Depot? You can...lol. They had a Toro Timecutter on sale for $2499, and my grandparents were on a very tight budget last year. It had a little fade from the sun from sitting out front. I asked for a manager, and told him we would load it up on the truck for $1800...he kinda snickered, but called it in anyways, can you believe he went in and brought the ramps up and loaded it up?..lol I have the toro pricing list, and I know it costs more than that for the dealer...lol. Almost like a pawn shop in there, I got a $799 outdoor table set for $175 (it was missing a chair), and a $400 area rug for $50 that was a slow seller, not to mention a John Deere Zero turn that had some scratches on the deck for $2449 (sold it for $2999 at the shop...lol). Doesn't really back up your statement, but I understand. People look at me crazy when they ask what my best cash price is on the Bad Boy, I just say the same one again....lol. There are a few people that are relieved. I called every BB dealer in my 100 mile area on the lightning, and everyone of them said the same thing $7495, although I did have one say he would give me a gas card with it....lol guess where I went. I was alittle disappointed because I wanted to finance, and was told that noone gets approved and it takes hours and stacks of papers, so I should just pay...lol. Kinda got the picture after the hours statement, it wouldn't have done me any good to explain that I have a++ credit...lol. I just slapped it on my 0 % bank of america card, and let him eat the 2.9% or whatever they charge now. I understand now though after becoming a dealer there are dealer particitation fees for financing, but that is 80% of my business! I would rather eat a couple hundred here and there for volume sales, and guaranteed checks!!

Well around here, the haggling is pretty much foreign. Most of the Home Depot employees look at you like you're an alien or something when you try that here.

Yep, participation fees are just a fact of life. When you accept credit cards, you'll find that most of your competition won't. They're shooting themselves in the foot!

retrodog
05-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Well around here, the haggling is pretty much foreign. Most of the Home Depot employees look at you like you're an alien or something when you try that here.

Yep, participation fees are just a fact of life. When you accept credit cards, you'll find that most of your competition won't. They're shooting themselves in the foot!

try asking for a manager, and shoot the bull with them first, it always works for me. I have actually gotten deals on weed barrier, landscape stones, plants, a toilet, etc. Don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no. That was why I was so surprised to get a call from Bad Boy for giving a discount on a mower....lol. I thought they would be happy I took a little loss to get a sale, I won't do that again....I do see why though, l won't be as willing to throw my mower to a customer to use if I didn't make any profit at all on the initial deal. Churches, city offices, school districts, non profit etc, don't forget the bid assist program TB, they almost get them at cost, and BB credits our account for messing with it. I haven't lost a bid yet to another brand of mower!! I am coming in waaaay cheaper than the others with the bid assist program! Most of the dealers around here just price the mowers at full retail....lol. I hear about someone bidding on equipment, then load up the trailer with mowers and go out to see the man in charge (usually before it is announced in the paper). That way they can see all the different machines, and get more specific in the bid. Most of them are bidding on a 26hp LC Kawasaki with a 60" deck. That is about as specific as we need, bidding with the Bad Boy, you will come in $2000 to $5000 cheaper depending on the dealers putting in bids. While not making alot off the deal, they can't ignore that much price difference, plus they are your advertising. Alot of my customers call the schools and the city offices that use our Bad Boy's to see how they like em' before buying.

tb8100
05-26-2008, 11:43 PM
try asking for a manager, and shoot the bull with them first, it always works for me. I have actually gotten deals on weed barrier, landscape stones, plants, a toilet, etc. Don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no. That was why I was so surprised to get a call from Bad Boy for giving a discount on a mower....lol. I thought they would be happy I took a little loss to get a sale, I won't do that again....I do see why though, l won't be as willing to throw my mower to a customer to use if I didn't make any profit at all on the initial deal. Churches, city offices, school districts, non profit etc, don't forget the bid assist program TB, they almost get them at cost, and BB credits our account for messing with it. I haven't lost a bid yet to another brand of mower!! I am coming in waaaay cheaper than the others with the bid assist program! Most of the dealers around here just price the mowers at full retail....lol. I hear about someone bidding on equipment, then load up the trailer with mowers and go out to see the man in charge (usually before it is announced in the paper). That way they can see all the different machines, and get more specific in the bid. Most of them are bidding on a 26hp LC Kawasaki with a 60" deck. That is about as specific as we need, bidding with the Bad Boy, you will come in $2000 to $5000 cheaper depending on the dealers putting in bids. While not making alot off the deal, they can't ignore that much price difference, plus they are your advertising. Alot of my customers call the schools and the city offices that use our Bad Boy's to see how they like em' before buying.

I'm surprised Bad Boy called you. I've lost sales to nearby dealers when they undercut me, and I've been fighting with dealers undercutting me for awhile. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... :cry:

retrodog
05-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm surprised Bad Boy called you. I've lost sales to nearby dealers when they undercut me, and I've been fighting with dealers undercutting me for awhile. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... :cry:

I have heard of dealers losing their dealership just by lowering the price, there are a few on here that bad mouth BB for it just because they didn't listen when they told them to stop. I am serious about calling around, I called 6 dealers, and everyone said $7495, I even went through the whole spill about just shopping for the best price, and would be willing to drive if the price was right. I was talking to my sales rep, and kinda slipped about the gas card thing that I got when my mower flipped off the trailer, and he got really upset, and said he will have to call and get on to him for undercutting even if it was a round about way. I told the rep, I was thinking about another mower I bought, so the guy wouldn't get in trouble...lol. Felt bad, not only did he discount with the gas card, he didn't have a lightning in stock, so he gave me his diesel to take home with me till mine came in, then on top of that he hand delivered to my house which was nearly 3 hours away with a full tank of gas. I don't know how he made any money, just wanted to sell a unit I guess....lol. I surely didn't want him to get into trouble after everything he did for me. Under cutting is a huge no no for Bad Boy, even the free shipping thing is a problem for them. I have delivered a couple up to OK City area, and was told to make them come and get them so it wouldn't make the dealers mad up there. If you are getting undercut by a fellow dealer it is against the BB Policy, and I wouldn't let it happen. It falls back on customer service. I have even offered the free pick up and delivery from peoples house if they will just pay the set-up and destination charge for me (most people freak out about paying it), most people go ahead and pay to get the better service. Its almost like they expect me to eat it every time. I don't mind if they pay cash, but $200 bucks is alot to eat on a mower your not making much more on. Not only that, I like to fill them up for the customers, and it is costing between $50 to $80 to fill the tanks up depending on the model, again falls back on the set-up, I don't mind the fill up as much, if they help with the set-up fees.

MJB
05-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Does anyone know if they have other blades for mulching than the gator blades ? It has been my experience that a mulching kit with gator blades is kind of an overkill. It makes a bigger mess especially if its a little wet. I use the gators for side discharging if it's not raining, and they do a fine job at least on my Exmark. I'm getting close to ordering a Lightning 26L/C Kawi 60", and if I like it more than my Hustler I'm selling my Hustler cheap and buying a 2nd BB mower. For the 1st time I would have all 1 make on my trailer. That would be a big timesaver ordering filters, parts etc. The 22 hp Kawi L/C barely burns 1 gph on a 60" Exmark so the 26hp should not be over 1.25 gph which I could live with.

marthanmike1959
05-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Ok i still like the bad boy im about a month away from buying.Here's the problem i wanted to look at the bad boy one last time went on a saturday morning at 9am and the dealer was closed he don't open on saturdays thats gonna play a big part in the brand i select is dealer backing saturday is my day to get things done as i work full time through the week so retrodog what would you suggest to me or any others out there

retrodog
05-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Ok i still like the bad boy im about a month away from buying.Here's the problem i wanted to look at the bad boy one last time went on a saturday morning at 9am and the dealer was closed he don't open on saturdays thats gonna play a big part in the brand i select is dealer backing saturday is my day to get things done as i work full time through the week so retrodog what would you suggest to me or any others out there

Hell, I would ask the dealer that same question, what if you needed something on Saturday. Of course I would be willing to help you out, hopefully he is not a jack a$% and would do the same thing. I have people that come by my house on Sunday to get blades and stuff, or shoot the bull, even sold mowers just cause they can come by my house and take my mowers home to mow with...lol. My wife even helps me out with stuff like that when I am not around. When I bought my first Bad Boy it was after hours, and I met the dealer at is house, and we went to the shop to do the paperwork. That would be my suggestion, if when you ask what if its Saturday and I am needing something, and he says screw you, or I am closed, you might want to plan for that, and stock up on a few little replacement parts just in case. I would recommend having extra filters, blades, belt, bearings, and an extra deck idler spring. Maybe he will throw that stuff in for not being open...lol. I have found that most of the people selling the Bad Boys are doing it because they like the product. Several of them have even swapped from the brands they were selling just cause they feel its a more superior product for the money. I have found a pretty big Exmark dealer that has swapped over, and a Dixie Chopper dealer that was one of Dixie's best dealers...lol

retrodog
05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Does anyone know if they have other blades for mulching than the gator blades ? It has been my experience that a mulching kit with gator blades is kind of an overkill. It makes a bigger mess especially if its a little wet. I use the gators for side discharging if it's not raining, and they do a fine job at least on my Exmark. I'm getting close to ordering a Lightning 26L/C Kawi 60", and if I like it more than my Hustler I'm selling my Hustler cheap and buying a 2nd BB mower. For the 1st time I would have all 1 make on my trailer. That would be a big timesaver ordering filters, parts etc. The 22 hp Kawi L/C barely burns 1 gph on a 60" Exmark so the 26hp should not be over 1.25 gph which I could live with.

Oregan has a seperate section just for Bad Boy now, so you can get almost any blade for the BB now. I had a few people that wanted a different blade last week, so I ran down to the local hardware store and picked up a few different types to see what they are going to want. Right now, the fusions are my favorite, but I haven't tried a mulching kit yet, always scared to get one put on, cause I have those phone calls like "our mower broke 2 months ago, would you come out and mow my yard"....lol or how about this one "the city is writing me a citation in the morning if I don't get my yard mowed". I would be pretty nervous with a mulching kit when I get those calls.

marthanmike1959
05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I went to the bad boy dealer today after getting my price together from exmark.The exmark after the whopping 200 dollar discount came to 10,129.00 i owe the bad boy dealer an apology because he was open on that saturday i thought he was closed he was busy on the phone.He hadn't had time to get his mowers out he was there alone.That made me feel alot better about the support he was also a super nice guy the one i talked to before was the mechanic and was busy at the time they work on all brands.Anyway after discussing my needs he suggested the 5200 lightning z with tax and chute block will be 8250.00 i'am glad i didnt jump too fast still a month away from ordering.

MJB
05-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I went to the bad boy dealer today after getting my price together from exmark.The exmark after the whopping 200 dollar discount came to 10,129.00 i owe the bad boy dealer an apology because he was open on that saturday i thought he was closed he was busy on the phone.He hadn't had time to get his mowers out he was there alone.That made me feel alot better about the support he was also a super nice guy the one i talked to before was the mechanic and was busy at the time they work on all brands.Anyway after discussing my needs he suggested the 5200 lightning z with tax and chute block will be 8250.00 i'am glad i didnt jump too fast still a month away from ordering.
WHICH EXMARK WERE YOU PRICING?

Happy Frog
05-29-2008, 01:38 AM

Make sure to get the foot assist option. You will really love it, nothing like it on the market. :weightlifter:

marthanmike1959
05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
the emark was 28 horse kawi 60" triton deck

cj4
05-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Got my 60" - 31HP Kaw - Ag rear tires - no flat fronts - mulching deck - lights - jack - trailer hitch - yesterday!!! All I can say is..........wow!!!

Been cutting my lake place with it, first time this year, it was TALL, VERY TALL.......mulching deck did good even in the tall damp grass.....only issue I had to go over it twice as tall as it was. My ground is extremely rough and rocky and woods and sticks. Gotta tell everybody...that 31hp Kaw is worth the few hundred extra. I don't have the gator blades but was wondering if they would work better in my application???? It's just straight PRAIRIE grass right now until i can get some bermuda going. The lug tires on the rear was a must for me.....traction is good although I buried it in my crick area tonight and had to get the wife to pull me out with the Ranger. The jack for it (the bigger one) looks flimsy but even the dealer was surprised how nice it was.....has a couple of safety things on it and works quick and very good. Ran it yesterday hard for about 7 hours and i thought it was sucking gas but when I filled it up it only took 7 gallons so that's pretty good....i'll have to ck it more accurately later. The ride is extremely comfortable to me even with the no-flats and the lug tires. FYI, the lugs aren't extremely aggressive as a figured they would be so I'm really sold on them so far.............except one thing.......my first day I cut the gosh!@!@$%QE#!@*** dang sidewall on the right rear ......I wish they had a 6 or 8 ply tire option.....dealer stitched it up for me and put a tube in it till i can get my spare wheel and new tire in.........he offered to take one off his stock unit but i didn't want him to do that.

MJB
05-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Got my 60" - 31HP Kaw - Ag rear tires - no flat fronts - mulching deck - lights - jack - trailer hitch - yesterday!!! All I can say is..........wow!!!

Been cutting my lake place with it, first time this year, it was TALL, VERY TALL.......mulching deck did good even in the tall damp grass.....only issue I had to go over it twice as tall as it was. My ground is extremely rough and rocky and woods and sticks. Gotta tell everybody...that 31hp Kaw is worth the few hundred extra. I don't have the gator blades but was wondering if they would work better in my application???? It's just straight PRAIRIE grass right now until i can get some bermuda going. The lug tires on the rear was a must for me.....traction is good although I buried it in my crick area tonight and had to get the wife to pull me out with the Ranger. The jack for it (the bigger one) looks flimsy but even the dealer was surprised how nice it was.....has a couple of safety things on it and works quick and very good. Ran it yesterday hard for about 7 hours and i thought it was sucking gas but when I filled it up it only took 7 gallons so that's pretty good....i'll have to ck it more accurately later. The ride is extremely comfortable to me even with the no-flats and the lug tires. FYI, the lugs aren't extremely aggressive as a figured they would be so I'm really sold on them so far.............except one thing.......my first day I cut the gosh!@!@$%QE#!@*** dang sidewall on the right rear ......I wish they had a 6 or 8 ply tire option.....dealer stitched it up for me and put a tube in it till i can get my spare wheel and new tire in.........he offered to take one off his stock unit but i didn't want him to do that.

If you can take some pictures and post them we want to see the cut with the mulching kit on or off. Also the gators don't really work as well on most mowers with the mulching kit. If it's a little wet they will chew it up and make a mess. Did the deck stay clean after mowing for 7 hrs?

cj4
05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah but would the gators eliminate having to go over it twice in my application??? Just wondering your experiences..... Well, I'll try to take some pics but I gotta tell you guys.....this isn't no pretty lawn.....We've just built this lake place and built a big metal commercial type building and built a 4 bed 2-story house in it in one end. Been working the last 2 yrs inside mostly and this is the year for the outside so you won't see a "pretty" lawn in these pics.

I jacked it up and checked the deck and it looked pretty clean.....there was a tiny bit of buildup but I did alot of mowing. Should I treat the underside with anything????

MJB
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah but would the gators eliminate having to go over it twice in my application??? Just wondering your experiences..... Well, I'll try to take some pics but I gotta tell you guys.....this isn't no pretty lawn.....We've just built this lake place and built a big metal commercial type building and built a 4 bed 2-story house in it in one end. Been working the last 2 yrs inside mostly and this is the year for the outside so you won't see a "pretty" lawn in these pics.

I jacked it up and checked the deck and it looked pretty clean.....there was a tiny bit of buildup but I did alot of mowing. Should I treat the underside with anything????

Depends on how much moisture is in the grass and how tall it is. I would just mow it more often and it should clean it up in 1 pass. Certain grasses and weeds when mulched make a mess especially with gators. But side discharging with gators is an option too. Mowing it before it gets over 2 inches of new growth should also help when mulching. When mulching does it have a tendancy to windrow it to the right side of the deck, or does it spread it evenly on the lawn?

Happy Frog
05-31-2008, 11:41 PM
I tried the Gator Magnum on my Lightning with mulch kit and they blow too much dust in front of the deck. Regular high lift work better for mowing.
I'll keep the Gator for leaves this fall.

cj4
06-01-2008, 02:37 AM
MJB,

Brought it to town to mow my mother's place (which is a kept lawn, about 2 acres worth) and it did a great job. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, didn't have a cam with me. No the mulching deck isn't piling up on the right side....it's doing a good job of even distribution. It did an excellent job with just one pass too. Again at the lake place it was extremely tall and wild!!!! I have no concerns of it doing good now that i'll keep it mowed regularly. I was really rough on the blades and know I dulled them on the lake place and was concerned they wouldn't cut a good lawn being so dull but they did a good job.

Happy Frog,

Thanks for the info and your input on the blades also. I think i'm better off with the regular high lift blades.

I have a concern maybe you guys can help with......I have some type of oil leak. It's the 31hp Kaw. The dealer pointed it out to me when i picked it up. He saw it and thought it was a spill from the factory by overfilling or something and so he washed it and it accumulated back by the time i picked it up. I cleaned it as well and it's still leaking. Can't tell where it's coming from but it appears to be coming from the bottom of the engine leaking toward the front, not underneath the mower but running on top of the deck part where the engine is mounted. Checked all the hoses and connections and they are dry. My best guess is it is leaking somewhere on the passenger side (rt side). I think it may be the oil sending unit (if that's what you call it) on the side of the engine or possibly the plastic plug that looks like a drain plug. It's not the oil filter either. Is there a seal or something near the bottom of this engine where it could be leaking?????

MJB
06-01-2008, 11:17 AM
MJB,

Brought it to town to mow my mother's place (which is a kept lawn, about 2 acres worth) and it did a great job. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, didn't have a cam with me. No the mulching deck isn't piling up on the right side....it's doing a good job of even distribution. It did an excellent job with just one pass too. Again at the lake place it was extremely tall and wild!!!! I have no concerns of it doing good now that i'll keep it mowed regularly. I was really rough on the blades and know I dulled them on the lake place and was concerned they wouldn't cut a good lawn being so dull but they did a good job.

Happy Frog,

Thanks for the info and your input on the blades also. I think i'm better off with the regular high lift blades.

I have a concern maybe you guys can help with......I have some type of oil leak. It's the 31hp Kaw. The dealer pointed it out to me when i picked it up. He saw it and thought it was a spill from the factory by overfilling or something and so he washed it and it accumulated back by the time i picked it up. I cleaned it as well and it's still leaking. Can't tell where it's coming from but it appears to be coming from the bottom of the engine leaking toward the front, not underneath the mower but running on top of the deck part where the engine is mounted. Checked all the hoses and connections and they are dry. My best guess is it is leaking somewhere on the passenger side (rt side). I think it may be the oil sending unit (if that's what you call it) on the side of the engine or possibly the plastic plug that looks like a drain plug. It's not the oil filter either. Is there a seal or something near the bottom of this engine where it could be leaking?????

Look forward to the pictures. Did you check to see if the oil is overfilled ? I don't have that engine but if you can't find anything loose clean it off and then start it up and watch it at full throttle you should be able to see where it is coming from. I just went through this on my Exmark this spring. Hopefully it is something simple. Never overfill your oil as will cause it to leak.

cj4
06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
No, the oil's not overfilled. I hate oil leaking equipment!!!!! Best i can find any accumulation so far is the oil sending unit but it's screwed in tight. I'll try your suggestion.

Happy Frog
06-02-2008, 01:37 AM
No, the oil's not overfilled. I hate oil leaking equipment!!!!! Best i can find any accumulation so far is the oil sending unit but it's screwed in tight. I'll try your suggestion.

You may have a defective sending probe. Wash it good and run the engine full blast for a few minutes, check for leaks on the probe. If it is leaking, have the dealer replace it or give you a new one for exchange.
I hate oil leaks as well... :waving:

retrodog
06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
MJB,

Happy Frog,

Hey, make double sure its not your hydro line, I have had a few new units that the nuts were a little loose, or the lines had a small puncture causing spraying out of the puncture. It won't leak unless you are working the hydros, so its a little hard to find the leak by yourself. I have replace a couple of hydro lines, but never had an engine leak so far.