PDA

View Full Version : Spindles

grimmy7
05-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I have an Exmark Lazer 52" HP. Always PM the unit as required. The unit is 5 years old and serves me well. My ? is how do you know when spindles go bad?
They are self sealed and for the year and hours I have on the unit is it necessary to change them? They move freely with no restrictions. Do they have any affect on cuts not being uniform? I noticed at times this happens.
Any input will greatly be appreciated.
I enjoy the wealth of info on this forum.
Thanks

lawnman_scott
05-26-2008, 01:04 AM
I havent had any spindel, or any sealed bearing problems with my lazer and it has 3000 hours on it. If its not broke, nodt fix it.

chesterlawn
05-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Jack up the front of your mower. With the blade still attached, grab hold of a blade with a hand on both sides. Try to rock it up and down, if there is any play your bearings are starting to go.

mybowtie
05-26-2008, 08:35 AM
you will here a growle or rumble if the bearings are bad. If they get really bad, belive me you'll hear it...:usflag:

Lil' Cabrito
05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
our oldest exmark which had about 3k hours on it at the start of the season went as follows: march-right side cutter housing bearings went out. April-idler pulley on right side bearings went out, 2 weeks later, middle blade cutter housing bearings went out. This month of may-left side cutter housing bearings went out and day after replacement, middle idler pulley bearings went out. We changed the spindles along with the sealed cutter housings fyi because they were practically welded on and we had to use a cutting torch to free them. So basically we have a brand new deck put together. You will definitley hear it when they go out too. This is something we will keep in mind as our other ztr's approach the 3000 hr. mark, but who can afford a new ztr this year when they are costing between $8k and $10k depending on deck and engine size. Your looking at about $200 in parts for the spindle and cutter housing assembly per blade, and about $20 per idler pulley. Good Luck