PDA

View Full Version : DIY Where to buy

GTIMANiac
05-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Before becoming an IT Professional I was an electrician. I did lots of landscape lighting back in Florida using mainly Techlight Metal Halide and HPS. I am currently redoing my backyard, I have already invested 10k into landscaping, trees, concrete border, irrigation etc.

I would like to highlight many of my new trees, the grado for the pool, etc. I am looking to do low voltage and wanting to spend no more than 1500 or so.

Is it possible to order pro quality goods myself, or will I have to go through the trouble of setting up a wholesale account somewhere?

Thanks
-Scott

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-26-2008, 12:25 AM
You would not get much pro-grade product for $1500 even with a wholesale account. Certainly not enough to do an entire backyard properly.... maybe a pathway, or a small deck.

Best to call a local lighting professional and have them do a design and specification for you.

David Gretzmier
05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
If you walk into a Ewing or whatever your local irrigation supply place is, and you buy a 600 watt trans, 500 ft 10 guage, and 15-20 bullets from a reputable manufacturer, you're going to be over 1500, even at contractor wholesale prices. it sounds like you need closer to a 900 watt to do what you want. And that does not leave you money for connectors, bulbs, additional wire ( 500 ft 12 guage) and any tools you might need, such as good strippers, cutters and dmm. I'd set your budget closer to 2500 for materials, or hire a lighting contractor to do this for you for $4500-6000. good luck

Lite4
05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Boy material prices just seem to keep going higher and higher don't they. I need to recheck my priceing and adjust accordingly.

The Lighting Geek
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
How long ago did you work as an electrician? You cannot get the materials you want for $1500.00. As dave said you need a bigger budget:) James suggestion is a good one: hire someone who specializes in landscape lighting to design and spec the job

GTIMANiac
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
The last time I worked full-time as an electrician was '99. As far as I know ohms law has not changed and the NEC has not changed that much. Money just was not good enough and arthritis was killing my shoulders.

I think I will end up with 30 or so bullets, a couple of wells, and some floods to wall wash. In the area of the yard that is still xeriscape I am going to use HPS because I really like the glow of HPS on the quarter minus and cacti.

So my initial budget is now more than doubled almost tripled, much to the chagrin of the wife.